Reputation | may I suggest to make it built-in with phpBB

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
MGadAllah
Name: Mohamed GadAllah

Reputation | may I suggest to make it built-in with phpBB

Post by MGadAllah »

Was thinking about having a default built-in reputation system with phpBB3 core files ... What do you think :?:
Would you like to know more about ISLAM ?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Reputation | may I suggest to make it built-in with phpB

Post by KevC »

As with all these things, what one person finds useful, another finds useless.

I think reputation would have too much of a limited market to warrant being built in.

I personally would have no use for it and I've never used it on boards I've visited either. But I can see a use in specific cases.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
MGadAllah

Post by MGadAllah »

My point that it is very helpful to be used with members or posts as it reflect the value added with new topics/replies or what members participate with in the board.
Last edited by MGadAllah on Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel Exe

Post by Daniel Exe »

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. Feature requests wouldn't get implemented until a new major release (ie: 3.1.x), and suggestions for that release series have been closed for a while now. However you will be in luck cause with 3.1.x, the hook system will make adding a majority of MODs as simple as clicking a button. And it's very likely that a new karma or reputation MOD will be released. That way if a feature isn't included in a vanilla install, it won't really matter - it won't take all that long to implement the MOD anyhow. :)
My phpBB3 styles: 610nm, Cerulean, CoDFaction, DarkFantasy, GuildWarsAlliance, twilightBB
http://www.gamexe.net
MGadAllah

Post by MGadAllah »

That would be really awesome.
I am that kind of people who do not like to add any MODs and always use the default package to avoid any later on problems when updating the software.
Hope to see this take a place in the near future, but how to know if there is a major demand for a feature or a request ? is it a poll taking a place or there is another way phpBB team know about it, like a close discussion?
For example I remember the debates about the quick reply add-on for the default package and it was really refused from the team and by time things changed for the better (always been always will).
Daniel Exe

Post by Daniel Exe »

Hope to see this take a place in the near future, but how to know if there is a major demand for a feature or a request ?
Only time will tell. You can expect that a lot of popular MODs will eventually be brought over to 3.1.x at its time of release. (just as we saw going from phpBB2->phpBB3) I wouldn't worry about it too much though - I think we've got quite a ways before its release still.
My phpBB3 styles: 610nm, Cerulean, CoDFaction, DarkFantasy, GuildWarsAlliance, twilightBB
http://www.gamexe.net
MGadAllah

Post by MGadAllah »

Thanks for your inputs ... but may some one from developer team may participate and share with us how things may go!?
wadie
Name: Wadie

Post by wadie »

You can install a MOD for that,it isn't that hard. so no need to make it built-in phpBB.
Need a custom style made ? want me to install a MOD for you ? Contact me here.
MGadAllah

Post by MGadAllah »

I know that I can add a mod for it but my 1st post and the reason for my topic is the wondering if it might be possible to have it as a built-in in the code, so I've posted to know what phpBB developer team think about it.
MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC »

If your making feature requests etc. like this you should post it on http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/ as thats where all the planning for features is done for phpBB.
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss.
Formerly Website Team Lead/Manager & Development Team.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free
MGadAllah

Post by MGadAllah »

Thanks, will do.
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

wadie wrote:You can install a MOD for that,it isn't that hard. so no need to make it built-in phpBB.
That kind of reply is very annoying. Quick Reply was an easy MOD, but it got added to the phpBB core. Birthdays, RSS feeds and almost any feature that you can name could be done as a MOD (as phpBB is open source), but some things are better off in the core. There are also team members working on bridges (Drupal currently), which aren't really core features at all.

I think reputation is one of those things that is well within the scope of a bulletin board, whether I'd use it or not, and I could probably name ten or more core features in phpBB 3.x that I'd be less likely to use than reputation.

We all know that phpBB can be MODded, so there's no reason to use that argument. Give arguments why it should not be a core feature. For example, portals should not be a core feature because they're more about content management than bulletin boards, and therefore outside the scope of phpBB.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
/a3

Post by /a3 »

Pony99CA wrote:Give arguments why it should not be a core feature.
Like phpBB is a bulletin board and not a social network?

But that's just my opinion of course (and just FYI, I'm personally a fan of simplicity here). :)
$ git commit -m "YOLO"
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

/a3 wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:Give arguments why it should not be a core feature.
Like phpBB is a bulletin board and not a social network?
Yes, like that. :) Except that I think reputation can be helpful in BB systems, too, but of course that's just my opinion.

And, to expand a bit on my previous post, if a MOD already exists for a feature request, by all means point it out. Just don't say "phpBB can be MODded to do that" -- it can be MODded to do almost anything and anybody who understands open source knows that.

Even if a MOD exists, that doesn't mean that we want to use it. There are some of us who don't like MODding our boards (I'm one of them) and plenty of instances where MODs became core features. In addition, MODs are dependent on the programmer who created them -- if he loses interest, the MOD could break in some future release; core features are almost guaranteed to have forward compatibility (HTML and simple color changing in the ACP in phpBB 2.x being notable -- and understandable -- exceptions).

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
MGadAllah

Post by MGadAllah »

Being simple does not mean to sufficient in various ways ... just in my poor opinion. :)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”