Reputation | may I suggest to make it built-in with phpBB

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Dog Cow

Re: Reputation | may I suggest to make it built-in with phpB

Post by Dog Cow »

Pony99CA wrote: That kind of reply is very annoying. it got added to the phpBB core. Birthdays,
And there's been discussion about whether birthdays really should have been added after all.
MGadAllah
Name: Mohamed GadAllah

Post by MGadAllah »

I've posted @ Area51 as advised if you are interested to continue the discussion over there
Would you like to know more about ISLAM ?
dagobert50gold

Post by dagobert50gold »

It can be a useful feature. But I´ve seen in one community (A big German community; it was a vBulletin-system) that much user misuse this feature and some people always had a good reputation and some people alwaays had bad reputation. Then the administrator disabled this feature.
Daniel Exe

Post by Daniel Exe »

Reputation features require some level of maturity from the community members - it's not appropriate for every forum.
My phpBB3 styles: 610nm, Cerulean, CoDFaction, DarkFantasy, GuildWarsAlliance, twilightBB
http://www.gamexe.net
nuckfan15
Name: Travis

Post by nuckfan15 »

Daniel Exe wrote:Reputation features require some level of maturity from the community members - it's not appropriate for every forum.

I agree. One sports board I frequent had this problem. User's tend to dis-approve of posts just because they don't like someone or they think a question asked isn't a very good question. Anything from a conflicting view on a subject, too not liking the user would warrant a negative in most people's eyes when in reality there just adding to the conversation.

It didn't make sense at all. :?
Travis aka Nuckfan15 - No Private Support
Make use of the Support Request Template when seeking support.
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

Daniel Exe wrote:Reputation features require some level of maturity from the community members - it's not appropriate for every forum.
Absolutely. Plus, any system that rates people based on user input can be gamed. For example, I can boost my ranking on phpBB by posting more, even if the posts are useless. On a system with "Thanks", I can form a coalition of people that always thanks each other (probably how reputation gets gamed, too).

Reputation/Thanks is still better than Ranks, IMHO, because people are rating the quality of the person's contribution, not just the frequency with which they write. Also, gaming Ranks can be done by the member himself; gaming Thanks or Reputation requires multiple users, and is thus somewhat harder to rig.

If they had a reputation system here, here are some of the criteria I would use:

Thumbs Up
  • Somebody who gave lots of help in Support
  • Somebody with well-reasoned posts in Discussion
Thumbs Down
  • People who constantly violated the rules
  • People who kept insulting phpBB staff or the project (not constructive criticism, mind you, but harping)
  • People who asked questions obviously without searching
  • People who constantly posted in the wrong place
Those may not necessarily be mutually exclusive. Somebody could be very helpful but always insult the project. I might leave their reputation neutral.

Things That Should Not Affect Reputation
  • Mere disagreement with somebody's opinion
  • Bad English (at least in an international forum like this)
  • "Bad" user names
  • And so on
I wonder if phpBB.com would add rules like the above if they added a Reputation system.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
nuckfan15
Name: Travis

Post by nuckfan15 »

Pony99CA wrote: Thumbs Down
  • People who constantly violated the rules
  • People who kept insulting phpBB staff or the project (not constructive criticism, mind you, but harping)
  • People who asked questions obviously without searching
  • People who constantly posted in the wrong place
Those may not necessarily be mutually exclusive. Somebody could be very helpful but always insult the project. I might leave their reputation neutral.

I'm pretty sure you would get banned before your reputation had enough negative votes just acting like this. :P Good points anyway thoe. As well the same goes for giving decent support. They would probably just invite you on the support team.

A system like that here would be completely redundant.
Travis aka Nuckfan15 - No Private Support
Make use of the Support Request Template when seeking support.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”