Save shouldn't have an interstital

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Save shouldn't have an interstital

Post by Brf »

Pony99CA wrote: Use a "ghetto save" -- copy your post into Notepad
That is the only way I do saves.

I find it odd that attachments would be lost, when they are uploaded first when you click the "add file" button. If you upload your attachment and then exit your posting page, your uploaded attachment still sits orphaned in the phpBB /files folder.
Wolf Harper

Post by Wolf Harper »

Nah, I totally see why you don't have a "draft attachment" area. It'll be misused for illegal files like CP and warez. It's not a problem for public messages because your community can self-patrol. They can't self-patrol if it's hidden in a draft storage area.
FloridaMan339
Name: Randy Wood

Post by FloridaMan339 »

But if I wanted to host hidden warez on my site, wouldn't it
be just as easy to create a folder called warez, upload all the
junk to it, and just give those I wanted to allow access to it
the URL?

It would be the same thing, right? I have subdomains on my
hosting site. Those folders are in my root directory. They make
no effect to my board.

Here - let me prove it... http://www.christiansocialnet.org/warez/

Check it out. And there's no published link on my site to this page. :lol:

(Moderators, don't panic!
All it contains is a link to "Giveaway of the Day")
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

Wolf Harper wrote:Nah, I totally see why you don't have a "draft attachment" area. It'll be misused for illegal files like CP and warez. It's not a problem for public messages because your community can self-patrol. They can't self-patrol if it's hidden in a draft storage area.
I don't think that would work. phpBB renames the files and strips any file extension so nobody would be able to find your warez.

In fact, it sounds like you can have "orphaned" attachments today by creating a post, attaching some files and then simply not completing the post (or closing your browser). The files were already uploaded so they sit in the /files folder until you delete them using the Orphaned attachments page in the Posting tab of the ACP.

Given that feature is there, even if somebody could share the files with another user, the admin could see that there were orphans and delete them.
FloridaMan339 wrote:But if I wanted to host hidden warez on my site, wouldn't it
be just as easy to create a folder called warez, upload all the
junk to it, and just give those I wanted to allow access to it
the URL?
You're missing the point. The admin can obviously do what he wants, but Wolf was worried about other people uploading files to your site and then sharing them with others. However, as I mentioned above, I'm not sure that would be possible.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”