Sharing Karma / Reputations between Forums

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
adeweger

Sharing Karma / Reputations between Forums

Post by adeweger » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:25 am

Hi All,

Is anyone interested in sharing Karma / Reputation ratings between forums? I'm looking for a couple of Beta testing sites, where there is an overlap of users between the forums.

Regards,
adeweger

JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Re: Sharing Karma / Reputations between Forums

Post by JimA » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:29 am

Well, this obviously is not a MOD in development.
So therefore, I moved it to the phpBB Discussion forum for now.

This topic's discussion value is also not really clear to me. What would you be willing to test by the ratings that you'll get to analyse?
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.

Daniel Exe

Post by Daniel Exe » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:05 am

Sounds like making OpenID with Karma.
My phpBB3 styles: 610nm, Cerulean, CoDFaction, DarkFantasy, GuildWarsAlliance, twilightBB
http://www.gamexe.net

adeweger

Post by adeweger » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:20 am

JimA wrote:This topic's discussion value is also not really clear to me. What would you be willing to test by the ratings that you'll get to analyse?
Hi JimA,

I've developed a system for sharing users' reputation information between different sites using a standardised API. This will allow the reputation to be used on forums, commercial sites, blogs, auction sites, review sites, etc. I'm in the process of developing a Mod for phpBB so that the reputations can be displayed for the users, and any feedback on the content that they create can be submitted back to the central repository. What I'm looking for is sites that want to have reputations displayed for their users to act as Beta sites for me.

It isn't really the same as Karma, and the feedback collected from multiple sites allows for much more detailed analysis of the data and a better calculation of the reputation. This gets around a number of issues with reputation systems like gaming, friend and foe manipulation, etc.

It is similar in some ways to Open ID in that it will work between multiple sites, however it has a number of key differences. Firstly it is only for reputation sharing, it isn't a log-in. It also maintains anonymity of the user while allowing the user to link reputations between sites using the same or different email addresses when registering for each site.

Does that answer your question?

Regards,
adeweger.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:16 am

this reputation thing seems to me to be pretty limited to game sites and sites that are for kids and things like that.

I can't see that there would be much of a demand for this in the overall scheme of things.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:29 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:this reputation thing seems to me to be pretty limited to game sites and sites that are for kids and things like that.

I can't see that there would be much of a demand for this in the overall scheme of things.
So you've never been to eBay? ;)

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:45 pm

Pony99CA wrote:
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:this reputation thing seems to me to be pretty limited to game sites and sites that are for kids and things like that.

Steve
point taken.

however, it is a little different kind of thing than saying: "+1" or "hey rep for that".

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:38 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:

Steve
point taken.

however, it is a little different kind of thing than saying: "+1" or "hey rep for that".]
Sure, but like karma/reputation in general, it can be good or bad. For example, when Windows Mobile was popular, I participated in several Windows Mobile forums trying to help people. At some boards, I had 2000+ posts, at others much less. So people at the boards where I'd posted a lot might think me an expert while people at boards I'd just registered at might think me a newbie with no more credibility than any other newbie. However, if those boards all used a shared karma system, even boards that I just registered at could see that I wasn't your average newbie.

On the other side of the coin, if an automotive site also used that system, if I were registering there for the first time and they used that karma system, people might think I knew a lot about cars even though most of my karma came from Windows Mobile sites.

If the system in question somehow categorizes sites, that could mitigate that. However, it's still something some people will like and others won't, I suspect.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:29 am

Alright, that sounds interesting. :)
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.

adeweger

Post by adeweger » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:06 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:

Steve
point taken.

however, it is a little different kind of thing than saying: "+1" or "hey rep for that".

robert
Hi Robert,

There are plenty or places where a reputation that is linked to an individual could potentially help out. How about review sites? Whether these be reviews of movies or products. Wouldn’t you want to give more credibility to the review posted by an individual that has generally has had good feedback for previous reviews, or even good feedback for other user generated content?

Also think about open forums. Things like news sites or even You Tube. In these cases you generally find a large variety of quality in the comments, many times posted by people that may never have posted on this site before. Having an idea of the reputation of the posters would allow you to be able to filter out all of the “I’m first” / “Buy Meds” comments and only show the comments for individuals that have built up a reputation by creating other well received online content.

Basically where-ever there is user generated content there is going to be a range of quality, and this system allows for a gauge of that quality to give the readers the ability to filter or make judgement calls on what they read and what they believe.

Now we get into what are the problems with reputation systems and why this will work where others have failed. I'll cover that in the next post.

Regards,
Anton.

adeweger

Post by adeweger » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:20 am

Pony99CA wrote:Sure, but like karma/reputation in general, it can be good or bad. For example, when Windows Mobile was popular, I participated in several Windows Mobile forums trying to help people. At some boards, I had 2000+ posts, at others much less. So people at the boards where I'd posted a lot might think me an expert while people at boards I'd just registered at might think me a newbie with no more credibility than any other newbie. However, if those boards all used a shared karma system, even boards that I just registered at could see that I wasn't your average newbie.

On the other side of the coin, if an automotive site also used that system, if I were registering there for the first time and they used that karma system, people might think I knew a lot about cars even though most of my karma came from Windows Mobile sites.

If the system in question somehow categorizes sites, that could mitigate that. However, it's still something some people will like and others won't, I suspect.

Steve
Hi Steve,

Now you are getting it. It would allow people that have a reputation to take it with them to other places, and you also touch on one of the issues about shared reputations. How do you make a general reputation that can be shared between different sites? We have designed a multi-layered reputation, so at the top level you just see a general reputation and an accuracy of that reputation, but if you hover over the reputation it drops down into a list of aspects. These aspects categorise different types of user generated content. In addition to this there is a specific aspect for the topic area of the client site.

The next question I normally get is won’t people be able to artificially change their reputation by trying to “game” the system. This is a bit of a problem with some reputation systems, however by providing information feeds from multiple sites it is possible to detect this and many other types of gaming and remove or penalise that behaviour.

If you are interested I can talk more about some of the other benefits of such a system. Things like encouraging good online behaviour, secondary uses of reputations, how we can do this and keep it anonymous, how peoples’ feedback is included into their own reputations, other calculation feedback loops used in the calculation of the reputation.

However at this stage, I’m looking for a couple of clients on phpBB that would be willing to trial the system in the Beta phase. Any help with that would be appreciated.

Regards,
Anton.

adeweger

Post by adeweger » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:15 am

Hi All,

For anyone that stumbles upon this thread I have launched the concept under the name of ShareRep http://www.ShareRep.com and have developed the plugin for phpBB. We are still looking for Beta testers if you are interested in getting in early.

Regards,
Anton.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”