SEO URLs

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
OC2PS

SEO URLs

Post by OC2PS »

Folks, I just imported my SMF to phpBB and am considering moving here. So far, I like it here.

However, there are 2 big PITAs that are bugging me about phpBB:
1. SEO URLs - phpBB doesn't have SEO URLs...there is a mod...but that's a bad way of doing things, because all the changes will be lost when I upgrade!
2. Extensions - In SMF, adding extension packages is a breeze....from admin panel, find package, click install, and all done! Here, most items are provided as mods rather than modules, and even when there are modules, they need to be downloaded, uncompressed and uploaded...

Am I missing something, or are these 2 items really this way in phpBB?

tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Re: SEO URLs

Post by tbackoff »

sooskriszta wrote:1. SEO URLs - phpBB doesn't have SEO URLs...there is a mod...but that's a bad way of doing things, because all the changes will be lost when I upgrade!
SEO URLs are so overrated. Google has no problem indexing phpBB forums as they are. The only benefit they provide is human-readable URLs. That said, if you decided to install a MOD, you will not lose those changes when you upgrade (the automatic update script was built to handle modified boards).
sooskriszta wrote:2. Extensions - In SMF, adding extension packages is a breeze....from admin panel, find package, click install, and all done! Here, most items are provided as mods rather than modules, and even when there are modules, they need to be downloaded, uncompressed and uploaded...
For phpBB 3.0.x, most (all?) MODs make changes to the core files. This will be greatly improved in phpBB 3.1.x (you can read about it here).
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.

jsebean
Name: Jonah

Post by jsebean »

I don't see how this is a support request but anyway...

t_backoff is right about SEO URLs, Google indexes my site just fine and I don't have "SEO friendly URLs".

Also, installing Mods is quite easy, and like t_backoff said, will be even better in 3.1 (with hooks). Right now you can try Automod, then all you need to do is upload the zipped up modification and Automod will do the edits for you. (of course, remember to backup in case anything goes wrong :D)
-Jonah
:lol:

OC2PS

Post by OC2PS »

t_backoff wrote:
sooskriszta wrote:1. SEO URLs - phpBB doesn't have SEO URLs...there is a mod...but that's a bad way of doing things, because all the changes will be lost when I upgrade!
SEO URLs are so overrated. Google has no problem indexing phpBB forums as they are. The only benefit they provide is human-readable URLs.
SEO URLs may be overrated but they are not useless. You may have notices that when you search for keywords, if those keywords are present in the URL, on Google's SERP, the words are highlighted in the URLs...

For two sites with similar quality of content and backlinks, a page where page title = h1 = URL is preferable over one where they are not.

Also, for searchers, it is a psychological confidence booster to see the searched keywords in the URL.
t_backoff wrote:That said, if you decided to install a MOD, you will not lose those changes when you upgrade (the automatic update script was built to handle modified boards).
That is great news! I had no clue!!!
t_backoff wrote:
sooskriszta wrote:2. Extensions - In SMF, adding extension packages is a breeze....from admin panel, find package, click install, and all done! Here, most items are provided as mods rather than modules, and even when there are modules, they need to be downloaded, uncompressed and uploaded...
For phpBB 3.0.x, most (all?) MODs make changes to the core files. This will be greatly improved in phpBB 3.1.x (you can read about it here).
Excellent! Thanks for the link!
jsbean wrote:I don't see how this is a support request ...
I am new here, and I apologise if this wasn't the right place to post this. Unfortunately this is the only community forum I can see for phpbb. Please can you guide me to the right place where such queries should be posted?
jsbean wrote:Right now you can try Automod, then all you need to do is upload the zipped up modification and Automod will do the edits for you. (of course, remember to backup in case anything goes wrong :D)
Brilliant! Thank you!

jsebean
Name: Jonah

Post by jsebean »

sooskriszta wrote:
jsbean wrote:I don't see how this is a support request ...
I am new here, and I apologise if this wasn't the right place to post this. Unfortunately this is the only community forum I can see for phpbb. Please can you guide me to the right place where such queries should be posted?
HAHA no problem. :mrgreen: This is the official community for phpBB... i've been known to do the same exact thing. There are different sections on this board to post, like the support forum, mod forum, and general phpbb discussion.
-Jonah
:lol:

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

sooskriszta wrote:SEO URLs may be overrated but they are not useless. You may have notices that when you search for keywords, if those keywords are present in the URL, on Google's SERP, the words are highlighted in the URLs...

For two sites with similar quality of content and backlinks, a page where page title = h1 = URL is preferable over one where they are not.
Yes, they may make a small difference, but is it worth applying a MOD for that could possibly break if not updated for future phpBB releases? Here's a story of what happens when your SEO MOD stops working.

User-friendly subjects are fine when you control the title, but more problematic when users do. How many forum posts have you seen with content-free subjects like "HELP ME!" or "Question"? How useful are those?

By the way, if you had searched about this, you'd would have found lots of discussion about SEO URLs (and the MOD system for that matter). Here are a couple of other SEO URL topics that you may want to read:
Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

glogan

Post by glogan »

Hi

At the moment google is indexing the topic titles etc just fine but none of the actual content is being indexed. Any help as to why this is?

Thanks

Sam
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Thompson

Post by Sam »

glogan wrote:Hi

At the moment google is indexing the topic titles etc just fine but none of the actual content is being indexed. Any help as to why this is?

Thanks
Do you have content? Does it fill your niche?

glogan

Post by glogan »

Yeah certainly every topic which is titled has content. Perhaps there just insnt enough content as it is a very new forum.

Thanks

Sam
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Thompson

Post by Sam »

If your forum is very new, I suggest some additional website development. Get a blog going to supplement your forum and post things for people to talk about. You will get some chatter and Google indexing some guaranteed-quality content.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

also, try to make sure that forum titles, topic titles etc. have good keywords in them.
You can even change up topic titles is you want to.

remember, nobody will go to google to look for your board, they go looking for information about something.
if your board supplies that information in fresh relevant content, then you will eventually get listed high enough to get some traffic.

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

glogan

Post by glogan »

thanks sam and lumpy (sorry cant remember the rest of your username) ha. :oops:

thanks

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

glogan wrote:thanks sam and lumpy (sorry cant remember the rest of your username) ha. :oops:

thanks
I am hurt!! AFter all these years.....

Burgertushie my friend, Lumpy Burgertushie

you are quite welcome.
Just remember, nobody goes to google etc. looking for your site. They go looking for information about a particular subject. If your site has relevant, current content related to that subject, then you will show up in google just fine. The more relevant and updated that content is and the more your site is linked to from other relevant content sites, the closer you will get to the top of the listings.

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

OC2PS

Post by OC2PS »

This discussion may be closed or merged with http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... #p12927776

Return to “phpBB Discussion”