Missing some Features

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
IKFT

Missing some Features

Post by IKFT » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:08 pm

Check out this comparison of forum software. Apparently phpbb is behind a little.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... ware_(PHP)

IKFT

Re: Missing some Features

Post by IKFT » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:10 pm

Also does phpbb have lots of hooks for modifications? I don't like editing the software code?

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:17 pm

Keep in mind that the phpBB devs don't follow the "include everything and the kitchen sink" development strategy (which some other development groups seem to do). The devs will add an feature because they feel it will add something useful to phpBB or an RFC (on area51) has been made, discussed and agreed on.
IKFT wrote:Also does phpbb have lots of hooks for modifications? I don't like editing the software code?
3.0.x has a very limited hook system but 3.1.x will get a much more powerful version.
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

IKFT

Post by IKFT » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:24 pm

How long is do you think it will be before 3.1 comes out? I know "It will come out when it comes out" But, what is your best guess?

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:28 pm

My best guess is: `the day after, the day before its released`. There is no way to tell and I won't guess (as every guess will most likely be wrong) to a date. I don't think that the devs have a clue about a release date at this moment, they might have a time frame which they aim for but they'll certainly don't have a date that they'll post publicly.
Your best bet is to keep an eye on the tracker and the discussion on area51.phpbb.com they can give you an indication whether the release approaches but don't expect 3.1 to be released within the next couple of months.
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

IKFT

Give recommendations for phpbb based on other software

Post by IKFT » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:48 pm

For all other phpbb forum owners that have managed a forum with different software. Please what useful features that software has that phpbb does not have.

IKFT

Re: Give recommendations for phpbb based on other software

Post by IKFT » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:49 pm

I would suggest that automod be a built in feature of phpbb.

ckwalsh
Former Team Member
Name: Cullen Walsh

Re: Give recommendations for phpbb based on other software

Post by ckwalsh » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:42 pm

phpBB 3.0 is feature frozen; No more features are going to be added in 3.0.9, 3.0.10, etc.

The 3.1 line is currently in development, and rather than a specific topic with single posts, had an entire 3.1 RFC forum to discuss such ideas. Unfortunately, the time for proposing RFCs has long passed, but I am pretty sure an integrated MOD installer was a high priority.

If you want to propose changes for phpBB 3.2, you are welcome to do so on the 3.2 RFC forum, but plese make sure to follow the guidelines.

And lastly, as a Moderator I can't really ignore the fact your two posts are within a minute of each other. phpBB.com has a 6 hour bump limit. While I'm certainly willing to overlook it when posts are 5 hours, 59 minutes apart, 1 minute is pretty hard to ignore. Please respect this in the future.
Where to post what | Forum Rules | The Dos and Don'ts of General Discussion
In Seattle and want to meet, chat, or have a coffee? Drop me a PM.

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:12 am

IKFT wrote:Check out this comparison of forum software. Apparently phpbb is behind a little.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... ware_(PHP)
First, because you didn't use URL tags, your link is broken (the right paren ended the link). Note how I fixed it in the quoted text.

Second, that was a very limited feature comparison. However, only four boards had Yes answers for all of the features and at least two of them (I believe) are payware. phpBB had Yes, Plug-In (presumably MODs) or Planned (WYSIWYG is planned?) for everything.

Finally, for Data Storage, only phpBB had Yes answers for all systems.

All in all, phpBB looked pretty good IMHO, especially for freeware.

Steve

P.S. I do like FUDForum's CAPTCHA, which looks like this:

Code: Select all

``#####````#####```########```##````##`
`#`````#``#`````#``##`````##```##``##``
`#`````#``#`````#``##`````##````####```
``#####````######``########``````##````
`#`````#````````#``##`````##`````##````
`#`````#``#`````#``##`````##`````##````
``#####````#####```########``````##````
I don't know how secure it is, but it's easy to read.
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

IKFT

Some bad phpbb reviews...

Post by IKFT » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:46 pm

Hello there,
I have really been vibrating in between mybb and phpBB. I have seen some really bad reviews and I want to list them here. I want to see what your thoughts are on these comments.
Here is the phpbb overview, the reviews will be listed below it.
+ The Good
• Conforms to W3C norms
• Really powerful
• Easy to use, install and administrate
• The most famous forum software is back
– The Bad
• Creating a forum in the Admin Panel could be hard
• Tuning the forum could take many times
The PhpBB developers team has done a great job and seems to be have created something that looks like to the perfect forum software.
Best forum software ever created, no doubt! Easy to use and tons of features. All you could ever want in a BB software.
Very powerfull. The only 2 very bad things :
1-No real plugin system like bbpress or wordpress, ...
2-Updates complicated if you have MOD'S and theme modification.
"2-Updates complicated if you have MOD'S and theme modification."
Until I converted to SMF, I had no idea that mods were easy to work with and install.
how can you rate the ease of management so highly for this monster? every option is listed at least twice throughout the acp, and they are listed in different ways. confusion is the best word to describe all versions of phpbb, new and old.
the visual customization is excellent, and the visitors side of things is very nice, but management completely sucks.
I agree with Tommy. The backend is horrible. Even what should be the easiest of administrative tasks are almost impossible. There is just no logic in how the backend was build. Big thumbs down from me.
i agree with Damino. Updates might be very complicated if you have installed mods. The Administration Control Panel isn't very logic. But for the user, it's a excellent plateform.
I just wondering if anyone can recommend some good backlinks service. I just made my site and I need to get good rankings in google. What do you think which is best service for getting backlinks. I want to build many links and want to get it as cheap as possible. Thanks Jay.
Perfect
easty to handle
most highest security
and
large plugin
the best over all
crap software. Smf is best.
I just want to have the best software for my community. Check out the feature list.
Phpbb overview: http://www.forum-software.org/phpbb3/review
PhpBB vs myBB vs SMF http://www.forum-software.org/forum-com ... machines-2
Some reviews from mybb Vs phpBB thread.
SMF vs phpbb
I really just want the best software for my forum. What are your thoughts on these reviews and articles. Do you think the comparisons are any good. I talked to the mybb support and they said it was so outdated.

Sajaki
Name: Andreas

Post by Sajaki » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:35 pm

most of these reviews just don't have a clue about phpBB and know only the software they use.

As for my opinion, phpBB is the "PRO" choice, the rest are rubbish. make up your own mind.
Last edited by Sajaki on Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Re: Some bad phpbb reviews...

Post by tbackoff » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:36 pm

Creating a forum in the Admin Panel could be hard
Not really. You click on the FORUMS tab, enter a new forum name, click "create new forum", configure the settings and click "submit".
Tuning the forum could take many times
I'm not sure what you mean here.
No real plugin system like bbpress or wordpress
This will be improved in 3.1.x.
Updates complicated if you have MOD'S and theme modification.
Again, this will be improved in 3.1.x.
every option is listed at least twice throughout the acp, and they are listed in different ways. confusion is the best word to describe all versions of phpbb, new and old
And once again, this will be improved in 3.1.x.

Honestly, the "best software" for you is the one that does what you need. Install it locally on your computer and try it out.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.

IKFT

Post by IKFT » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:37 pm

All the quotes are from other forums topics and reviews.

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:18 pm

IKFT wrote:All the quotes are from other forums topics and reviews.
Consider it like this: if 1% of people using phpBB don't like it, that's probably more people disliking phpBB than are using MyBB at all.

As has been mentioned above, you should use the software that fits your needs best. I would not consider some of what you posted above to be "reviews" as the people are obviously clueless. You don't need other people to tell you what to do: phpBB is free, so you are welcome to test it yourself.

As for not having every feature, that is largely intentional. You might need to install a MOD to do something that exists in another software, but that also means your board isn't being weighed down by features you will never use. Furthermore, phpBB3 is easily the most secure platform and we even provide security audits for MODs in the database here; something other projects cannot compete with.

So the choice is in your hands and we won't look at you funny if you choose something else.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

Ephemeraboy
Name: Bernando Bona Tius Sianipar

Post by Ephemeraboy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:34 pm

the reviewers mostly a foolish IMO
they do not know phpbb right now
like mostly they say
"phpbb is easy to hack"
and so on...

another suggestion for you
just see what you need