Missing some Features

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Re: Missing some Features

Post by Pony99CA »

Marshalrusty wrote:As has been mentioned above, you should use the software that fits your needs best. I would not consider some of what you posted above to be "reviews" as the people are obviously clueless. You don't need other people to tell you what to do: phpBB is free, so you are welcome to test it yourself.
Besides the good "Use what works best for you" advice, I'm not sure what the OP expects from the official phpBB board. Is he expecting a lot of people to say "Yeah, SMF/MyBB is best. We just prefer working with crappy software?" :?
Marshalrusty wrote:As for not having every feature, that is largely intentional. You might need to install a MOD to do something that exists in another software, but that also means your board isn't being weighed down by features you will never use.
Let's not get carried away. I have never used Jabber, Atom feeds, mass E-mail, warnings, Flash support or LDAP on my board. I'm not saying those are useless -- I'm sure other people need them or love them -- but they're "weighing down" my board. Features that I may use -- like reputation, group-based BBCodes and so on -- aren't available.

The point is that it's highly unlikely that any feature mix is perfect for even one person (meaning they use every feature and have no other needs), much less a user base as large as phpBB's. You can say that phpBB development tries to err on the lean side, but that's not always what we users want.

In fact, I bet the lean argument was used with phpBB 2.x before phpBB 3.0 was even in beta. If I'm right, all of the new features in phpBB 3.x disproved that argument. ;) And if there are substantial new features in phpBB 3.1.x, it will disprove the argument here, too.

Of course, the improved hook system may obviate the need for many new core features, but we'll see. In fact, maybe we can get the best of both worlds -- a lean core board system and officially supported plug-ins that add substantial functions. Is that being considered?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh »

"I'm not sure what the OP expects from the official phpBB board. Is he expecting a lot of people to say "Yeah, SMF/MyBB is best."

Dont want to be rude but after reading his other posts i have the impression that hes slagging phpbb off and makeing adverts for other forum software .

"I have never used Jabber, Atom feeds, mass E-mail, warnings, Flash support or LDAP on my board. I'm not saying those are useless -- I'm sure other people need them or love them -- but they're "weighing down" my board."

I agree . They should be MODS / plugins . Another thing that i dont like , dont want and thing should be MODS / plugins are ranks and friend or foe . For me things like that are extremely childish and offensive .

"The point is that it's highly unlikely that any feature mix is perfect for even one person (meaning they use every feature and have no other needs), much less a user base as large as phpBB's"

Exactly . Thats why i say make the software as lean as posible . So that it does its job and give the users control of what features they want in it and what not .

"You can say that phpBB development tries to err on the lean side, but that's not always what we users want."

Thats why there are MODS . So that people can custoimise their sites to do what they want .

"In fact, maybe we can get the best of both worlds -- a lean core board system and officially supported plug-ins that add substantial functions"

Exactly . Cut it down to a sensible minimum and alow the user to customise it how they want .

"Is that being considered?"

If not one runs the risk of getting the software programmers syndrome = what do programers do ? = program . What do they do when they have a good product ? = keep programing and eventualy program it to death and produce a crap bloated product = windows , nero , jv16 , and and and and and . It would be a shame if phpbb went the same way ......
What i say is my opinion . If you dont like it or dissagree with it lets talk about it and try to come to an agreement . I`m not to old to learn or change my opinions if they are wrong .

http://www.youtopia.ws

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Popp Singh wrote:Another thing that i dont like , dont want and thing should be MODS / plugins are ranks and friend or foe . For me things like that are extremely childish and offensive .
I believe that you can turn off friends/foes using the Module Management capability in the ACP. I don't know if that significantly improves speeds, but it might be equivalent to having a hook.

If you don't want ranks, just don't create any. ;) (I don't remember if any are created by default; if they are, just delete them or set their post counts very high.) That probably won't help much with performance, though.

Steve

P.S. It would really help the readability of your posts if you used the QUOTE BBCode.
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh »

Thanks . I already do that but that isnt the point i wanted to make . The point is if it wasnt there in the first place we could choose if we want a MOD to do it and to install that . = freedom of choice .

About the
bit . I am truly sorry and will now whip myself with a wet fish .

As far as
BBC
goes i am anti BBC as i dont like them
Last edited by JimA on Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed insulting phrases
What i say is my opinion . If you dont like it or dissagree with it lets talk about it and try to come to an agreement . I`m not to old to learn or change my opinions if they are wrong .

callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae »

That's only slightly irrelevant?!

As to jabber, stuff like that is probably pretty deeply integrated and would take a long time to install as a modification. Just disable it :)

~Callum
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Callum95 wrote:As to jabber, stuff like that is probably pretty deeply integrated and would take a long time to install as a modification. Just disable it :)
That's fine for now, but we're looking toward the future. Something like Jabber should be a phpBB.com-built MOD that uses the new hooking system. That way it would be fully supported by phpBB.com, but only people who needed it would have to install it.

Feeds, birthdays, warnings, mass E-mail, etc. could all be pre-built MODs using the hooking system. Only those vital core features should be supported in core phpBB 3.1 (like registration and log-in, forum and topic display, posting, PMs, permissions, etc.).

Maybe there could also be a phpBB 3.0.x compatibility MOD package that includes MODs for all phpBB 3.0.x features that were removed from phpBB 3.1.

Steve

Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh »

I agree on the feeds and birthdays . Birthdays as far as i`m concerned would be a MOD for 5 year olds . If birthdays are included why not an ashtray and a toilet ?

We all have different wants and needs so why not let the users decide exactly what they want ? . I understand that the discussion could go on almost endlessly because people have different tastes and some , a lot , have no taste and / or no idea . So why not change the direction and ask the members what they think about cutting the software down to a minimum and what that minimum would be . Also why they think that . I think most people would acept and feel comfortable with a minimal feature version as long as it contained autoMOD and a hooks system . That would get rid of most peoples problems and reasons not to do it = because they have difficulty installing MODS and are worryed that if they cock it up they will screw their whole forum .With autoMOD and hooks that wouldnt happen .

callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae »

Popp Singh wrote:I agree on the feeds and birthdays . Birthdays as far as i`m concerned would be a MOD for 5 year olds . If birthdays are included why not an ashtray and a toilet ?
You shouldn't be giving 5 year olds ashtrays :)

~Callum
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of

Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Popp Singh wrote:Thanks . I already do that but that isnt the point i wanted to make . The point is if it wasnt there in the first place we could choose if we want a MOD to do it and to install that . = freedom of choice .

About the
bit . I am truly sorry and will now whip myself with a wet fish .

As far as
BBC
goes i am anti BBC as i dont like them
Just a point of clarification: He said BBCode, not BBC. :) BBCode is how things like bold, italics, and code input are done without the use of HTML on phpBB.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh »

Thanks for the explenation Techie-Micheal but the sentance has lost its meaning because it has been censored .

Just to get this clear to everyone . I know what BBC code is and i thought that most of the readers would to . I also thought that most of the readers would have enough intelligence to see that what i originaly said was humor . Especialy after the wet fish comment . Obviously i was wrong as my post got censored . Again .

I truely regret what has happened and from now on i will try to comunicate on a level where every moderator and reader will understand what i say .

Thank you

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Popp Singh wrote:I know what BBC code is and i thought that most of the readers would to .
At the risk of further digression, note that it's "BBCode", not "BBC code". If you can't remember, look to the right when posting (just below the smilies) or look just below the Save draft/Preview/Submit buttons. ;)

Steve

imkingdavid
Former Team Member
Name: David King

Post by imkingdavid »

Pony99CA wrote:Maybe there could also be a phpBB 3.0.x compatibility MOD package that includes MODs for all phpBB 3.0.x features that were removed from phpBB 3.1.

Steve
I don't believe many (if any) "features" are being removed from the 3.0 line in 3.1. You are welcome to propose feature removal for 3.2 in the form of an RFC over at area51 if you feel that it is an unnecessary feature. If you can provide support for your position, and can get others to agree with you, there's a possibility it can be removed in 3.2.
Popp Singh wrote:I agree . They should be MODS / plugins . Another thing that i dont like , dont want and thing should be MODS / plugins are ranks and friend or foe . For me things like that are extremely childish and offensive .
Maybe we're used to different definitions of "offensive"? Because neither of those features offend me. I also do not see how either is childish, but to each his own. In any case, I doubt you will find many other forum software solutions that are not shipped with one or both of those features in the core product as well.
Ranks are a helpful way of explaining what someone's role is at the site, and can supplement a user's primary group and username color. If you do not wish to use them, simply do not.
The Friend/Foe allows users to connect on a more individual level. The Friends feature allows users to keep track of users that they have had positive experiences with. Foes allows users to ignore other users whom they have not "clicked" with.
Popp Singh wrote:Exactly . Thats why i say make the software as lean as posible . So that it does its job and give the users control of what features they want in it and what not .
You have a lot of control over features. Most features can be enabled/disabled overall and per user/group via the permissions settings and other options in the ACP. And MODs can be installed to supplement existing features and add new ones.
Popp Singh wrote:Exactly . Cut it down to a sensible minimum and alow the user to customise it how they want .
So in other words, you are saying that phpBB should be a PHP Framework and that all "features" should be shipped separately? If you want a PHP framework, go with Code Igniter, or Symphony, or something like that. phpBB is a forum software and it makes sense for it to include features that expand on and improve the forum. While some features may be arguably extraneous, phpBB is one of the most lightweight forum solutions out there as it is; most others are bogged down with multitudes of unnecessary features.
Popp Singh wrote:If not one runs the risk of getting the software programmers syndrome = what do programers do ? = program . What do they do when they have a good product ? = keep programing and eventualy program it to death and produce a crap bloated product = windows , nero , jv16 , and and and and and . It would be a shame if phpbb went the same way ......
I doubt that phpBB is going to become as bloated as IPB or vBulletin. phpBB is all about being lightweight, fast, and easy on resources.

However, if you want some say in what features are and aren't included in phpBB in future versions, you are welcome to head over to the Area51 forums (link on main forum listing under Announcements forum, or click here) and post in the RFC and Discussion forums.
Don't forget to smile today. :)
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Ephemeraboy
Name: Bernando Bona Tius Sianipar

Post by Ephemeraboy »

"I have never used Jabber, Atom feeds, mass E-mail, warnings, Flash support or LDAP on my board. I'm not saying those are useless -- I'm sure other people need them or love them -- but they're "weighing down" my board."
let's take survey how usefull the features then
for me especially
warning is a must (though phpbb system warning right now not good)
atom feeds, many my board users uses it (though likely for future atom maybe turn into death)
mass emails need to inform my teams/any groups in board
also flash i use
so, maybe i can say mostly user needs that (and ofcourse that feature can turn off)
and if you not, you are then outliars /the special one
so simply, i want to ask, why not moving to others script rather than phpBB..??
I agree . They should be MODS / plugins . Another thing that i dont like , dont want and thing should be MODS / plugins are ranks and friend or foe . For me things like that are extremely childish and offensive .
you're paranoid for that IMO
(but whatever you think that's you not me/others)
i really dunno how offensive ranks feature
or maybe are there people get deep hurted just because rank...??
i wonder how :?
the most useful rank function to inform users there ares separtes any teams
so users can respectively contact the right team whatever he got trouble
ranks are so critically standar, no need to turn it to plugin or what.
maybe more than 90% phpbb user uses that (sorry maybe more than 99% forum uses that)
a reputation should be likely considered offensive :lol: :lol:
"The point is that it's highly unlikely that any feature mix is perfect for even one person (meaning they use every feature and have no other needs), much less a user base as large as phpBB's"
as i stated before
you must or maybe phpbb team making some public poll
what features are really critical need
but also the needs furthermore must be synchronization with phpBB concept.
if every needs fulfilled so what is difference phpBB than others..??
Exactly . Thats why i say make the software as lean as posible . So that it does its job and give the users control of what features they want in it and what not .
sorry, phpBB [and maybe others] can't
i advice better you search for others forum script for fullfill your needs
or create your own script
simple and solutive
"You can say that phpBB development tries to err on the lean side, but that's not always what we users want."
but users wants too must be related and suit to phpBB concepts

"In fact, maybe we can get the best of both worlds -- a lean core board system and officially supported plug-ins that add substantial functions"

Exactly . Cut it down to a sensible minimum and alow the user to customise it how they want .

"Is that being considered?"
so far i know
just vbulletin allow users customize profil interface (in 4.1)
(is that included what you want..?? :lol: :lol: )
one we must think is the working of adding plugin
if cut it down to minimum or likely can we say phpBB turn into bbpress
don't you think how long to adding mostly plugin that we wants (in addition some plugin also considerable as must be a standart feature). go to main website, searching the plugin, download it, upload it, moddify if needs. so what if the plugin abondened, hope the Dev/Modders team working for that.??
If not one runs the risk of getting the software programmers syndrome = what do programers do ? = program . What do they do when they have a good product ? = keep programing and eventualy program it to death and produce a crap bloated product = windows , nero , jv16 , and and and and and . It would be a shame if phpbb went the same way
too much.
but i say search for yourself that suits your needs
nothing than it

and also this is public forum not debate or something like that
so, think twice before post your thinks
or futurely maybe users here don't like/ you.
then if it stay continiou
likely, you and the crap bloated product nothing difference
My diary, my notepad, and my life on
http://www.bonatius.com
My online shop at
http://www.nefara.com

tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff »

Ephemeraboy wrote:and also this is public forum not debate or something like that
so, think twice before post your thinks
or futurely maybe users here don't like/ you.
then if it stay continiou
likely, you and the crap bloated product nothing difference
Ephemeraboy,

This is a discussion topic. People are welcome to discuss the phpBB software and voice their opinions in a constructive manner. Let's keep the snide comments and stabs at other users out of it please.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.

Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh »

Pony i agree with you and if you open a thread on area51 i will post in it . The same goes for anyone else who might open one . I dont realy know where to do it so if anyone does it please either PM me the link or post it here please ..

If i didnt like phpbb better than anyother forum software i have seen i wouldnt be useing it . I said the things i said for the same reason that pony did = to offer some ideas to improve it and fit all users needs and make it even better than it is now .

Return to “phpBB Discussion”