facebook login for forum a good idea ?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
sigo1

facebook login for forum a good idea ?

Post by sigo1 »

Hello i would like to create a forum but i heard some netizens dont like taking out 5minutes to register for a forum besides they might forget the account . so i would like to know is it advisable to integrate a facebook / twitter login page for your forum ? if yes :

1. what are some of the advantages

if no

1. what are some of the disadvantages .
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: facebook login for forum a good idea ?

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

It would require someone to write up the custom code for you.

I still say that if people do not want to take the few seconds it takes to signup, then you probably do not
need them as members anyway.

robert
darocker077
Name: darocker 077

Post by darocker077 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:It would require someone to write up the custom code for you.

I still say that if people do not want to take the few seconds it takes to signup, then you probably do not
need them as members anyway.

robert
Haha... t hat's a nice one... yes!! If a member feels so lazy to sign-up... why should we have a member like that...?? coz, anyway he's gonna do nothing..
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Well its not just that, but 500 million ppl on a site called facebook... why not try to encourage a few to visit and insert their 2cents on your forums.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

Ozo wrote:Well its not just that, but 500 million ppl on a site called facebook... why not try to encourage a few to visit and insert their 2cents on your forums.
I am all for that. If they want to contribute to my board then they can sign up just like everybody else.

besides, out of that 500 million, I bet 95% are just drive by posters that you wouldn't want as members anyway.

The point of a board is not to have the most members, the point is to create a community of people that will interactive in some positive way with each other.

Having a million members that either never show up or post "me too" and "yeah" or "you suck" all the time is not providing much communication value.

( oh well, there he goes again.

robert
sigo1

Post by sigo1 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Ozo wrote:Well its not just that, but 500 million ppl on a site called facebook... why not try to encourage a few to visit and insert their 2cents on your forums.
I am all for that. If they want to contribute to my board then they can sign up just like everybody else.

besides, out of that 500 million, I bet 95% are just drive by posters that you wouldn't want as members anyway.

The point of a board is not to have the most members, the point is to create a community of people that will interactive in some positive way with each other.

Having a million members that either never show up or post "me too" and "yeah" or "you suck" all the time is not providing much communication value.

( oh well, there he goes again.

robert
@ robert i plan on putting up some stuff like captcha to prevent the random users from posting crap . Also is there a way of sending my forums newsletter / post reply / new topic alert to the email of users who logged in with their FB account ?
wadie
Name: Wadie

Post by wadie »

I totally agree with Robert. if you want your board to be full of spam and kids trolling,then adding a Facebook login would be the most recommended idea. :D
capitanqueso

Post by capitanqueso »

Well, many of the forums are supported by ads, their impressions and clicks, and such sites may require to be signed up, to see whats inside, so more the merrier. Is a win win situation.
Merry Xmas!!
Sam
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Thompson

Post by Sam »

I believe it depends on the board. For example, most of the sites I run and have run were not targeting people who frequent facebook at all. However, another forum I run is going to host a community that currently exists on facebook, as they want to move towards forum-based discussion. I will be creating a facebook login for that site because of the audience we will soon be getting.
colinroebuck
Name: Colin Roebuck

Post by colinroebuck »

Has there been a script code made for people to sign up to the phpbb forums?
ivantoar

Post by ivantoar »

sigo1 wrote:i heard some netizens dont like taking out 5minutes to register for a forum besides they might forget the account
These kind of people are not willing to participate to your forum. If they are willing to participate, they are willing to spend their 5 minutes to register. In fact, it takes less than 5 minutes to register in a forum, at least for me. And if they are active at your forum, they'll never forget their account. Moreover, there's that "forget password" link.

I think by integrating Facebook login to your forum, it will increase chance of unwanted post.
Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Post by Jessica »

Do we really need facebook on every site? I don't see the need for this
Vegano

Post by Vegano »

Personally I think that if phpBB won't have a good working facebook connection the script will become less and less popular and phpbb forums will become a rarity.
Your forum can bloom thanks to other social media. Adding a facebook connect won't only make it easier for surfers to join (at least some of them will be active). The facebook connect will also generate more traffic and help more surfers to find your forum.
Malphas

Post by Malphas »

ivantoar wrote:These kind of people are not willing to participate to your forum. If they are willing to participate, they are willing to spend their 5 minutes to register. In fact, it takes less than 5 minutes to register in a forum, at least for me. And if they are active at your forum, they'll never forget their account. Moreover, there's that "forget password" link.

I think by integrating Facebook login to your forum, it will increase chance of unwanted post.
Personally, I don't think that's the case. You can rationalize that registering isn't a big deal etc., and it probably isn't to those of us who've been around forums and the web in general for years, but I really do think it's a huge obstacle to a lot of potential posters these days. Once you've got a member registered it's easy to keep them coming back, often they'll post in a thread upon registration then keep coming back to check for responses, and in turn check other threads and make more posts while they're there, but the first step is getting them to register in the first place, and anything that makes that process faster and more convenient should be welcomed in my opinion.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”