Spam attacks

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
Ozo

Re: Spam attacks

Post by Ozo »

t_backoff wrote:It seems recaptcha is not useful anymore. The same goes for Q&A - spam bot authors seem to be preprogramming key words to break it.
I also bealive this is becoming true, unfortunately. my reCaptcha is getting bypassed.

I want to think it's human bots and sometimes they are, but I think it's the bots who've gotten smarter once agian.

Years ago, I was surprised on how a "bot" was able to automatically register and post random links. I can just imagine what has improved since then. heck, we're seeing that already. the whole "great article, but did you check out my page yadda yadda.com" :!:

A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

http://www.h-online.com/security/news/i ... 92621.html

Its my preference to believe security researchers when they say something like this -- especially when users are having experiences that verify the findings.

:roll: in Google's general direction for not using their massive resources to do something.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish

Welsh-80

Post by Welsh-80 »

i use questions and then admin activation incase they get through

the mod to prevent new members posting url's is a good idea too

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Welsh-80 wrote: the mod to prevent new members posting url's is a good idea too
No need for a MOD. That capability is built into phpBB via the Newly registered users group
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

stevemaury wrote:
Welsh-80 wrote: the mod to prevent new members posting url's is a good idea too
No need for a MOD. That capability is built into phpBB via the Newly registered users group
Where? There's the Allow links in posts/private messages option in the Post settings section of the Board Configuration group of the General tab, but that appears to be all-or-nothing, affecting all users everywhere. You can also ban BBCodes via permissions, but that affects all BBCodes (and may not affect auto-magic links). There are targeted permissions for IMG and FLASH, but not for URL.

However, I can't find anything to prevent only links based on a group.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Welsh-80

Post by Welsh-80 »

i think what he's saying is create a group for new members and use the permission settings to disallow them from posting links while they are a member of that group ;)

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

Welsh-80 wrote:i think what he's saying is create a group for new members and use the permission settings to disallow them from posting links while they are a member of that group ;)
There's no reason to create a new group. phpBB 3.0.6 and later include the "Newly Registered Users" group out of the box. By default, every user who registered on the board is placed into this group until they've reached a configured number of posts.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Welsh-80 wrote:i think what he's saying is create a group for new members and use the permission settings to disallow them from posting links while they are a member of that group ;)
The point I'm making is that, as far as I know, there's no permission to prevent a group (or user) from posting just links. You can prohibit all users from posting links, and you can prohibit some groups from using all BBCodes, but you can't prohibit some groups from just posting links (without a MOD).

If I'm wrong, I'd love to know how to do it (as I'm sure a lot of people here would).

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Welsh-80

Post by Welsh-80 »

I'm pretty sure without checking, that you can edit the permissions of the newly reg'd users group so that the group cannot post links

or am i wrong??

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Welsh-80 wrote:I'm pretty sure without checking, that you can edit the permissions of the newly reg'd users group so that the group cannot post links

or am i wrong??
There's no specific permission for [url] denial.

You could do a more blanket permission by stopping all BBcode for that group but not just url. Probably because they would still post it, it just wouldn't be clickable so it's probably a bit of a moot point to deny it. I'd rather stop them getting in at all.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

dncollins

Post by dncollins »

Callum95 wrote: If you know all the members beforehand, set up a whitelist, and only allow users from your own country
This could work if (1)There is a shorthand way of listing the IP addresses used exclusively in the USA, and (2) phpBB has a way of whitelisting IP addresses ... I only see a way of blacklisting them.

I purposely avoided putting a list of all club members in my db which I could then use to verify new registrations. This is a security measure that makes the placing of any personal information online completely opt-in.

But if (1) and (2) above are true, I could use IP whitelisting because it's unlikely that we'd have non-US members.

dncollins

Post by dncollins »

arod-1 wrote:
dncollins wrote:I have a small board for members of my fishing club and I activate manually.
for this type of board, my experience is that Q&A works the best.
That's a damn good suggestion (he said, slapping his forehead). There is certainly a potential for new members who don't have fly fishing experience to be befuddled by questions that require too much knowledge about our sport .... but I could, for example, ask questions for which the answers could be found some place else on our website ... like 'who is the current club president?'

Surely, if the problem is bots, this'll do the job.

I apologize for generating a debate about IP address terminology :(

drake ShinRa

Post by drake ShinRa »

i used recaptcha before and spammers keep coming..
and now i use Q&A captcha in my language and the spammers are gone :)
need new style

callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae »

dncollins wrote:
Callum95 wrote: If you know all the members beforehand, set up a whitelist, and only allow users from your own country
This could work if (1)There is a shorthand way of listing the IP addresses used exclusively in the USA, and (2) phpBB has a way of whitelisting IP addresses ... I only see a way of blacklisting them.

I purposely avoided putting a list of all club members in my db which I could then use to verify new registrations. This is a security measure that makes the placing of any personal information online completely opt-in.

But if (1) and (2) above are true, I could use IP whitelisting because it's unlikely that we'd have non-US members.
1 - get them to email it to you
2 - you can in htaccess or the firewall

~Callum
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

dncollins wrote:

A waste of time and completely unnecessary.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”