Plans for phpbb 3.0.9?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
haggisv

Plans for phpbb 3.0.9?

Post by haggisv » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:02 am

I'm curious what the plans are for the next version?

Since I find upgrading a pain (mainly due to my own lack of technical knowledge and experience :oops: ), I'm wondering if it's worth waiting for the next upgrade, or go with 3.0.8?

ameeck
Former Team Member

Re: Plans for phpbb 3.0.9?

Post by ameeck » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:06 pm

Well, technically here are the issues that are assigned to be fixed for 3.0.9:
http://tracker.phpbb.com/secure/IssueNa ... &mode=hide

However some of them might be moved to a later version or closed.

tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:10 pm

Go with phpBB 3.0.8. There was 8 months between 3.0.7-PL1 and 3.0.8. The next release may or may not take that long, but it's always good to stay up-to-date (fixes bugs, etc).
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:10 pm

t_backoff wrote:but it's always good to stay up-to-date (fixes bugs, etc)
Besides that, the more versions you skip the bigger the update pain (and the harder it gets to find whatever conflicts).
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:12 am

Whenever there is a new release, I update at least a dozen boards for clients within a couple of days. Some of these boards are well modified, even with completely custom code. For the past few version, the automatic updater package has provided a nearly seamless experience in all cases. Only in a few cases have I had to go into the code, and that's when there were direct collisions between changed lines.

Make a backup of the files and go for it. If you have trouble, upload your files backup and you'll be back to where you were. Or create a copy of the entire board and work off of that to make absolutely certain that nothing goes wrong.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

haggisv

Post by haggisv » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:05 pm

Thanks for the tips guys!

sleevedbiker

Post by sleevedbiker » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:52 pm

Marshalrusty wrote:Whenever there is a new release, I update at least a dozen boards for clients within a couple of days. Some of these boards are well modified, even with completely custom code. For the past few version, the automatic updater package has provided a nearly seamless experience in all cases. Only in a few cases have I had to go into the code, and that's when there were direct collisions between changed lines.

Make a backup of the files and go for it. If you have trouble, upload your files backup and you'll be back to where you were. Or create a copy of the entire board and work off of that to make absolutely certain that nothing goes wrong.
I have ALOT of features(modifications) and 3.0.8 upgrade was completely seamless and took no more than 2 minutes to upgrade(the 2 minutes includes submitting the change to the server)

so i am not sure what a couple of you mean by it takes wayyyy tooo long to make the changes.
You ride with an outlaw, You die with an outlaw

Return to “phpBB Discussion”