Allowing moderators to see Email adress of members

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
haggisv

Allowing moderators to see Email adress of members

Post by haggisv »

I have a few moderators on a forum, that help control spam. They just have the basic moderator abilities to delete spammer post and suspend them, without the full moderator access.

It would be useful for these moderators to be able to see the Email address of new members in their profile, which often helps identify a spammer quickly.

However I cannot find the permission that allows them to see the Email address of other members. I expect this is an admin permission... but I cannot find it.

Does anyone know?

Cheers!
bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Re: Allowing moderators to see Email adress of members

Post by bonelifer »

This will allow you to add the permission:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... #p12129365
William Jacoby - Community Team
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .
haggisv

Post by haggisv »

Thank you for that!

I have given some of the full moderators of the board, some admin permissions so that they can delete spammers and all their posts in one go. They do seem to be able to see the Email addresss in the profile.. so what admin permission allows them to see the Email address?

If there is a way I can give these members just the permisison they need, without needing a mod, I would prefer it.
haggisv

Post by haggisv »

Anyone please?
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

haggisv wrote:I have given some of the full moderators of the board, some admin permissions so that they can delete spammers and all their posts in one go. They do seem to be able to see the Email addresss in the profile.. so what admin permission allows them to see the Email address?
I would guess Can manage users, but that's really overkill to just see the E-mail address. I don't know if that also allows deleting a user; I'm guessing that it doesn't because there's also a Can delete/prune users permission.
haggisv wrote:If there is a way I can give these members just the permisison they need, without needing a mod, I would prefer it.
There's no Moderator permission to do that. You have to give them Admin permissions, which can be dangerous. (It allows changing their passwords and E-mail addresses, for example.)

You might consider asking for a new Moderator permission that allows seeing E-mail addresses and (even better) IP addresses of users before they post.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer »

Pony99CA wrote:You might consider asking for a new Moderator permission that allows seeing E-mail addresses and (even better) IP addresses of users before they post.
The mod I linked them to will give them the ability to give any group the ability to see the Email address in the profile if set for their group. This can't be done without a MOD or else I wouldn't of requested it.
William Jacoby - Community Team
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

bonelifer wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:You might consider asking for a new Moderator permission that allows seeing E-mail addresses and (even better) IP addresses of users before they post.
The mod I linked them to will give them the ability to give any group the ability to see the Email address in the profile if set for their group.
I understand how it works. I was suggesting that the OP request a new Moderator permission in the phpBB core code (probably over at Area51 if he's comfortable there). Seeing the E-mail and IP addresses seem like reasonable things for a Moderator to be able to do.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
haggisv

Post by haggisv »

Thank you guys!

Return to “phpBB Discussion”