Hope this is right place to post

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
yabski

Hope this is right place to post

Post by yabski »

Not sure if you can be any help. but i own a small dog community forum and just lately i decided to close it as i was not running it on a day to day basis , as i was busy with kids etc, but someone else took over the running of the forum, then one day day i got an email saying every one wanted her to open her own so she had set her up and so i closed mine, In the mean time time ( not even a week later.)i got lots of offers saying they would love to run the forum on a day to day basis. so i reopened it, so i took the name off the forum, of the two people who had been running it, but didnt delete posts or pics, so all threadsand posts were still in order. well tonight i recieved this
"24hours to remove all my input from staffy world or my lawyer will be taking action. All posts made by me must removed or you and evryone else who owns the forum re liable for mis conduct"
CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE I STAND, (SOZ CAPS, am flappin) do i have to remove or once there are they there and are they open to the internet public,
dont know if it matters. but you have to log in to see some forum not all
Thanks in advance for any help and i hope im posting in right place :?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Hope this is right place to post

Post by KevC »

-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
yabski

Post by yabski »

i found this in one of links, "You do not HAVE to delete their posts, once they are made they are your property, and it does say that somewhere in the default phpBB Terms and Conditions, "unless you edited it out by any chance."
but no one believes me,Could some one please please help me and tell me where i may find
"unless you edited it out by any chance."
i dont believe i would have edited it out, but some help to actually show it really exsists wou;d be good, also not sure if it makea differance but am based in the uk
Thanks again and thanks for the super quick answer from a person who is flapping lots, as they ran the forum daily for two months, but were also about from the begining if there posts go, the forum will be a complete mess :cry:
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Re: Can User Request Having Their Posts Deleted?

Post by Pony99CA »

yabski wrote:i found this in one of links, "You do not HAVE to delete their posts, once they are made they are your property, and it does say that somewhere in the default phpBB Terms and Conditions, "unless you edited it out by any chance."
but no one believes me,Could some one please please help me and tell me where i may find
"unless you edited it out by any chance."
i dont believe i would have edited it out, but some help to actually show it really exsists wou;d be good, also not sure if it makea differance but am based in the uk
To see the Terms of Service, log out of your board, then click the Register link. You'll see the TOS page. If you then click the Login link, you can click the Privacy policy link to see what that says.

However, my understanding is that the U.K. has extra stringent data privacy laws, so you might want to consult an attorney (or barrister or whatever :)).

Finally, if you do consult a lawyer, and you own the original domain, you might see if you can sue them for some sort of unfair trade practices. You let them run the site on your domain so that the community wouldn't die, and they took unfair advantage of that by starting their own competitive site and then demanding that you remove their content. I'm no lawyer, so I don't know if that would fly, but it might scare them into backing down.

Steve

P.S. Please try to think of better subjects. "Can User Request Having Their Posts Deleted?" would be much better.
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

The closest you get is probably this line
You agree that <insert site name> have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered to being stored in a database.
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
yabski

Post by yabski »

Sorry to sound dumb but whats the database :oops: , I own my domain name, would that make a differance.
Thanks to every one for there help. Ive stopped panicing so much, So thanks again
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

The database is where all the users and posts are stored. It's usually accessed through the site control panel. Look for phpmyadmin or MySQL database manager if you want to have a look at it.
Cheap UK Hosting
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Ignore it. No one is going to pay a lawyer to bring an action to delete their posts about Fido.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh »

DO NOT WORRY : stevemaury is right totaly ignore it .

That person has no rights to threaten you . The threat is childish crap . First the person has to give you a legaly valid reason why they want their posts deleteing . Then if they are not satrisfyed with your response they have to give the matter to a solicitoir . Solicitors that act in any way mostly want a big fat cash deposit or at least proof that the client can pay them and any posible court costs before they act . The solicitor then has to write to you and explain properly what he wants , why he wants it , the legal basis for his request and also give you a reasonable amount of time to get legal advice and if nesecery to delete the posts . That has to be done with a registered letter so he can prove to a court that he sent it and that you recieved it = There is no rush whatsoever . Keep calm and if and when you get a letter from a solicitor go to the citizens advice buro and / or a solicitor on the same day , the next day or the next working day..

Again DONT WORRY someone has a swollen ego and has been watching to much TV .
What i say is my opinion . If you dont like it or dissagree with it lets talk about it and try to come to an agreement . I`m not to old to learn or change my opinions if they are wrong .

http://www.youtopia.ws
Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh »

Sorry i forgot something ---->

The web site is in your name and your responsible for it even if you give it to someone . If you want to stop being responsible for it get in touch with your providers help desk and ask them if you can and how to sign it over to someone else and do it . OR make a database copy and give that to the people you want to and then they can open their own web site and put the database into it = the same forum , the same name but another owner and another web adress . Both options would need legal advice to be sure that by doing it you have legaly given up all responsibility for all of the contents . Whatever the solicitor says it would be best to get it in writeing . If there are any costs they wont be anywhere near as costly as paying a solicitor to defend you in court . The people who want the forum should pay the bill . It would be a good idea to make a topic on your web site and ask what the members think . If you do the second option you can close your forum to all new posts and make a general anouncement telling the members and visitors what has happened and the new web adress plus send all the members an email through the Administration Control Panel of your site with the same info in it . Maybe one of yourv members reads the topic and is a solicitor = Free advice and help .

To the "responsible" people for this web site ....... what about a stickey on the subject of people wanting their posts on forums being deleted . OK there are two topics about it but 1 people have to find them and 2 they are too full of well meaning crap and therfore confuseing for people to wade through and decide which advice to follow .
What i say is my opinion . If you dont like it or dissagree with it lets talk about it and try to come to an agreement . I`m not to old to learn or change my opinions if they are wrong .

Keith W

Post by Keith W »

Hi Yabski,

I am not sure whether you are in the UK or not but if you, or anyone else, are in the UK I can answer your question for you.

The Data Protection Act 1998 does not actually give individuals a general legal right to ask an organisation to cease processing their personal information altogether unless to processing is likely to cause them substantial damage and distress.

To elaborate further section 10 of the Data Protection Act 1998 gives individuals a right to write to an organisation to ask that they cease processing his personal data on the basis that the processing will cause him substantial damage and distress. They must specify their reasons for their belief that the processing will cause them substantial damage and distress. This is called a data subject notice. Upon receipt of such a formal request you would have a period of up to 21 days to respond to the request. Whether or not you decide to comply with the request is a matter for your own organisation to decide upon but regardless of your decision you must inform the individual of the extent to which you intend to comply within the 21 day time frame. Providing you do respond you are likely to have met the requirements of this section of the Data Protection Act 1998 regardless of whether or not you decide to remove the information requested.

Therefore, if this individual has made a request like this you would need to follow the advice given above, however, if it is just a request to stop processing his information without any reference to the above there is no general legal right in terms of the Data Protection Act 1998 for him to make such a request.

Hope this is of some help.

Take care,

Keith
Do not PM me unless I ask you to

Dance like no ones watching. Encrypt like everyone is.
Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh »

Thanks for that information Keith W i hope that you stick around and if posible help clear legal problems like this up again .

Yabski sorry it apears from what Keith W says that i made a mistake saying that it must come from a solicitor The rest apears to be right though .

Return to “phpBB Discussion”