phpBB forum on Wordpress site

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
knmt

Re: phpBB forum on Wordpress site

Post by knmt »

There's no easy way to integrate WordPress and phpBB without causing issues. You can't put phpBB forum inside WordPress because they share some function names and variables, unless you hack A LOT of files. The best we could achieve is to style both softwares the same, and use one's API functions to get user data from another's database and combine them, with proper cookie authorization (for WordPress). The challenge is phpBB requires more user information than WordPress, so it's best to let users register using phpBB, and then let them comment on the WordPress blog using those registered accounts (you will need to register those accounts on WordPress, too.)

Another thing's worth mentioning is the two softwares use different password hashing mechanism, which might also cause a lot of headache.

I did successfully integrate phpBB and WordPress, but the only reason I did that was because the forum is already active and there are already thousands of members. If you're planning to start a new forum that has support for WordPress, using BuddyPress or bbPress would be more ideal (they're developed by some WordPress guys). They're not that feature-rich, but is enough for a simple forum.

There are other new WordPress forum projects, such as Simple Press. Here's the link in case you guys want to take a look ;).
Oo Alias oO

Post by Oo Alias oO »

Sorry for the "bump".

I've noticed people here are trying what I am trying to do aswell.

Has anyone worked out how to have the wordpress header and footer, and then forum in the middle? Inlcuding the header file in php doesnt work in phpbb, for some reason, I assume its not designed to work like that (get included rather than, include it seperatly.

I would reskin phpbb, but then if I update my WP header, it wont update on phpbb which I dont really want. Anyone find any solutions on top of this thread?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

yes you can "include" your php file in phpbb.
you turn on allowing php in templates from the admin panel security section.

then, you use the proper variable to do the include.

search here for how to use php in templates.

you don't need to reskin phpbb you can simply add the header/footer html from the wp header.php file to your phpbb overall_header.html file
tweak css etc and you are done.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
bobsherman

Post by bobsherman »

I am curious to see if there is any recommended or preferred WP plugin now in 2016? I have seen a couple ones but it looks like they are targeted towards webmasters with an existing forum who want to port it over to Wordpress. I would be starting from scratch.
axe70
Name: Alessio

Post by axe70 »

Maybe you have already take a look into this? :)
WordPress phpBB integration plugin
https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-w3all- ... tegration/

yes, it is an adv!
Do not take me too serious
Anyway i do not like Discourse
MeowMiau

Post by MeowMiau »

I tried getting login integration to work but ultimately had to drop it to focus on other things. Has anyone found a nice solution to this for 2018? :)
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

I believe WP has a plugin, maybe ask there?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel

Return to “phpBB Discussion”