phpBB Falling Behind?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Re: phpBB Falling Behind?

Post by callumacrae »

noth wrote:can a mod kindly delete the above post? it is quite offensive :?
It was far more constructive than yours.
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of
keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

noth wrote:Your users like it so much more, what a laugh, I do not believe a word of it

Forum users are famously unaware of what forum software is being used to run their forums, they actually do not want to know, it is the administrators who know this and "care"
500 active users and out of those only about 10% wanted to go back to phpbb

so 450 of your users voted for mybb, yeah right!

can a mod kindly delete the above post? it is quite offensive :?
Delete it? Why?!

Though I am not a moderator and the final decision belongs to the mod team, I see no reason why the post should be deleted. Constructive criticism is not a cause to delete a post on phpBB - as far as I know.
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

noth wrote:Your users like it so much more, what a laugh, I do not believe a word of it

Forum users are famously unaware of what forum software is being used to run their forums, they actually do not want to know, it is the administrators who know this and "care"
But that's not really what he meant. While users may not care exactly what software they're using, they may notice new features, better performance or a better user experience. That may be what they liked better (which basically means that they would like the software better -- if they knew which software was which ;)).
noth wrote:
500 active users and out of those only about 10% wanted to go back to phpbb

so 450 of your users voted for mybb, yeah right!
Again, that's not quite what he said. He said that only 10% wanted to "go back" (meaning that they preferred something about phpBB). The other 90% either preferred myBB or didn't care. You kind of ignored that last piece.
noth wrote:can a mod kindly delete the above post? it is quite offensive :?
Really? As I said before, some of the best feedback you'll get comes from people who had used your product and switched to another. It would have been much better had he mentioned specific features of myBB that his users preferred (he alluded to some -- AJAX, no redirects -- but didn't specifically state that myBB supported them), but there's no need to delete the post.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
Lawofthesnake

Post by Lawofthesnake »

True most of my users are unaware that we are now powered by mybb but this was a decision done after a two month beta process between smf and mybb (by the way phpbb>smf in my opinion). I didn't have an offical poll or anything, and was mainly a decision by the legacy users. Its the ease of use... the one thing users perfer more is the user cp...

If phpbb wants to compete check out the other free forum software out there and adapt it to phpbb... I mean this software has great potetional but not on its current slow course of development as the OP stated.

I did lose some users when we did the switch because they liked the old software more but that was a very tiny minority.

And mybb does include those annoying redirect pages and are enabled by default. You have to go to the admin cp and turn it off.

And heres my list of what my users perfer in the default mybb install:
  • The advanced bb code editor
  • Instant posting/editing without having to reload the page via ajax
  • Easier UCP
  • Better looking profiles
  • Simpler/faster mod tools
What my admins like:
  • Simple permissions system. We all know phpbb3 went overkill on the premissions
  • Simple plugins system (you have to admit easy mod has nothing on smf or mybb or vb + it doesnt work half the time)
  • Simpler update system/template install system.
What my users miss from phpbb:
  • Active topics - there is no mod for mybb for this instead were stuck with view todays posts/new posts. Very annoying if you want to find something from 3 days ago you read.
  • The threaded pm view system (mybb has quotes as their system!) I think even phpbb2 did a better job than mybb does but we dont use pms too much.
  • Better security/requirments for plugins - mybb doesnt really look at plugins sumbitted to their db like phpbb does and many more holes have been found in 1.6 than phpbb3
Go install mybb, smf, xferno, phpbb and compare them all. You'll see every software has pros and cons but it the end at least for me mybb was my choice.
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Great post, Lawofthesnake. That's exactly the kind of information that I was looking for. I hope the phpBB developers find it useful. They may already know much of it, but hearing from a real user can make it more concrete.

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

Pony99CA wrote:Great post, Lawofthesnake. That's exactly the kind of information that I was looking for. I hope the phpBB developers find it useful. They may already know much of it, but hearing from a real user can make it more concrete.

Steve
I agree with steve, the one thing I didn't like is the statement
Lawofthesnake wrote:We all know phpbb3 went overkill on the premissions
its an extremely powerful system which undoubtedly can be made easier for users that don't need this amount of control. I personally use it quite a lot and wouldn't say its overkill ;).
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

Erik Frèrejean wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:Great post, Lawofthesnake. That's exactly the kind of information that I was looking for. I hope the phpBB developers find it useful. They may already know much of it, but hearing from a real user can make it more concrete.

Steve
I agree with steve, the one thing I didn't like is the statement
Lawofthesnake wrote:We all know phpbb3 went overkill on the premissions
its an extremely powerful system which undoubtedly can be made easier for users that don't need this amount of control. I personally use it quite a lot and wouldn't say its overkill ;).
Well, that's what I said when I first saw it back in 2007 or whenever. :shock:
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog
Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Post by Danielx64 »

Well one forum that I'm admin on runs mybb, and while I don't mind it at all, I really didn't like the permission system at all, I didn't feel like I was in control in what users can and can't do. Not only that, phpbb has one powerful group that mybb doesn't have, the newly registered group.

The mybb theme system, I don't like it that much, but maybe that because I'm used to the system used by phpbb.
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

*Daniel wrote:Not only that, phpbb has one powerful group that mybb doesn't have, the newly registered group.
But the Newly Registered Users group is kind of a hack. If phpBB supported "auto-promoting groups" (where a group could have an optional post count that you got promoted out of when you reached that post count), that would subsume the Newly Registered group function and give you lots of cool new abilities. For example, I could different thresholds for groups to post without approval, use signatures, send PMs, etc.

That's just one way to do it, of course. You could groups that you promote into based on post count (see the MOD below), but that wouldn't map to the Newly Registered Users group directly (because you promote out of it). If you had a minimum and maximum post count, though, you could could promote into and out of groups that way.

Even better would a global event system, which would subsume even auto-promoting groups. With events, you could trigger one thing based on another event (how many posts somebody has, how long they've been registered, what day of the week it is, whether it's their birthday, etc.). Newly Registered Users (or getting promoted out of it) is one form of an event-based system, Ranks is another.

Obviously, a full event-based system would take lots of work (I believe that I read it was looked at once for phpBB), but auto-promoting groups shouldn't be that difficult. In fact, there's already an Auto Groups MOD, and it works with membership days and "points", too, not just post count.

Steve
KetchupSamurai

Post by KetchupSamurai »

There is many things missing from phpBB and yea it is slightly behind the times but in ways more ahead of the time. Various things people have been asking for here and have gotten denied about the requests in general and that mostly is down to 1 thing "WYSIWYG". Users want this nowadays, phpBB is so hellbent on stating its developers don't want one.

In the end personally this hurts the community as a hard code developer, i understand that maintaining it is utterly a complete pain in the ass, but the more people happy the more use the software and the more positive response you get back in return.

Another thing lacking that all free boards have but phpBB is a built in reputation plugin, topic rating, wysiyg editor, hook/plugin system that doesn't require extensive amounts of man labor. Automod was a great add on given to the community here, however it cannot half the time do it's job correctly. Sometimes it chops things or breaks other things and that's not because of the system itself its because of how mods have to be made on this system, there is no hooking its solid integration and it makes things harder in the end for everyone.

Also all you people say myBB is so much better your right, they release all the time. Imagine the irony in this next remark.

PhpBB = 1 release in 1 year, fully secure
MyBB = 3 - 4 releases in 1 year, 2 - 5 severe security exploits patched everytime....

Not trying to down the dev's at myBB but that's a tad bit of a joke, and the template system yea sure its easy but it uses tables lol.

phpBB bugs might not be fixed to the general public here ASAP, but at least i know some skiddy wont own my board every other day i also know here every plugin i use is properly combed for sploits by the validator team. I'm also very well aware if there was a severe security exploit that could harm my phpBB install it would be patched within a day or 2. Food for thought is all.
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser »

KetchupSamurai wrote:Various things people have been asking for here and have gotten denied about the requests in general and that mostly is down to 1 thing "WYSIWYG". Users want this nowadays, phpBB is so hellbent on stating its developers don't want one.
Just picking this up, if you follow the discussions on aerea 51 (search for WYSIWYG in titles), you'll recognize that developers don't "don't want one", but are looking for a editor without leaks and havving all the needed features like bbcodes-integration etc. ;)
Just read the first topic from search result ;)
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB
ShadyX

Post by ShadyX »

I think the phpbb dev team should look at other websites such as Facebook, Twitter and take inspiration from them. Its working for XenForo and IPB so why not phpbb?

AJAX updating
Hooks
A better UI
jQuery overlays
Post likes
Better smileys (The little things matter most)

Those are a couple of essentials off the top of my head.

The internet is a rapidly evolving entity and if something is not done soon to bring things up to speed phpbb may very well fall off the map alltogether.
Discuss Phpbb, Seo, Advertising, Programming & more @ Admin Forums
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

The internet is a rapidly evolving entity and if something is not done soon to bring things up to speed phpbb may very well fall off the map alltogether.
not likely. it is way too popular to just fall away because it may not follow some of the current fads.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Post by Danielx64 »

Pony99CA wrote:
*Daniel wrote:Not only that, phpbb has one powerful group that mybb doesn't have, the newly registered group.
But the Newly Registered Users group is kind of a hack.
While that would be the case, at lease it there though.

PhpBB = 1 release in 1 year, fully secure
MyBB = 3 - 4 releases in 1 year, 2 - 5 severe security exploits patched everytime....
Even paid software are like that: look at VB and IP.Board.

And as far as mybb using tables, yes that another thing I don't like as well.
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.
Malphas

Post by Malphas »

This is very sad to read. After the shakeup in the development team back whenever, I had thought phpBB development had turned a corner finally and we'd start seeing more regular updates and a more open attitude towards the community as a whole. The latter still seems to be the case fortunately, but it's a shame contributions haven't increased, and that the development team is still so small.

I've been using phpBB for almost a decade now, and I much prefer the general ethos of phpBB compared to everything-but-the-kitchen-sink commercial rivals, but the web has evolved at such a rate that I feel I can't put off migrating to different software to keep pace with the social media ecosystem much longer.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”