different signature every time forum loads

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
jayboy21

different signature every time forum loads

Post by jayboy21 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:00 am

hi guys, I have had some great help on here for my forum...

but I have a query/problem! that i want to run by you guys

how is this done? the Signature below changes every time you eith refresh the page of every time you open a new thread that the user has posted on! and used this Sig , Refresh this post and see!

Now I realise it is several images in one place (see code) but I dont understand how to put more than one image either on a PNG or at one address!

I am sure someone out there will tell me... so I can do it :D

Code: Select all

[img]https://camo.phpbb.com/24ea78b79ed6b44075633f4c7e0e2ec3d9810aa1/687474703a2f2f7777772e7068696e2e636f6d2e62722f7068696e2e706e67[/img]

https://camo.phpbb.com/24ea78b79ed6b44075633f4c7e0e2ec3d9810aa1/687474703a2f2f7777772e7068696e2e636f6d2e62722f7068696e2e706e67

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: different signature every time forum loads

Post by Brf » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:03 am

Likely there is not an image at that address at all. It would be a script or program that returns an image.

Sniper_E
Name: Ed Humphrey

Post by Sniper_E » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:55 am

Yes, when going to that link it actually took you to: http://www.phin.com.br/phin.png/
That is a directory named phin.png/ probably with a rotate.php file in it with all the images.
Of course they probably renamed that rotate.php file to index.php in that phin.png/ directory.
I've used that setup many of times.

You can do a search on rotate.php and find a lot of sites with it.
http://www.marcofolio.net/webdesign/php ... ation.html
No is NEVER an Option and NEVER is the only Option when it comes to Giving Up!
:!: Sniper_E Styles | phpbbmodders :!:

jayboy21

Post by jayboy21 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:27 am

thanks for that! i still am not sure how to creat it for my forum, i think i need a second look! i cant download the code?

Sniper_E

Post by Sniper_E » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:41 pm

In order to use the rotate.php to alternate an image you would need a place online to put them.
You can't create a place for all of your users. Each user would have to have their place online somewhere.

This is how I would do it as a member of your site...

I would have a place on my site, in my phpBB3/images/ directory.
I would create a directory in there and name it mysig.gif/ <-phpBB3/images/mysig.gif/
That would not be a image named mysig.gif but a directory named mysig.gif/

I would download the rotate.php file I linked to and place it in my phpBB3/images/mysig.gif/ directory.
I would also copy all of my images in that same directory that I wanted to show as my sigs.
Then I would rename that rotate.php to index.php

Now as a member at your site I would put this in my sig:

[img]http://mysite.com/phpBB3/images/mysig.gif[/img]
Can you see how that works now?

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:11 am

Sniper_E wrote:In order to use the rotate.php to alternate an image you would need a place online to put them.
You can't create a place for all of your users. Each user would have to have their place online somewhere.
I don't believe that's correct. There are those sites that allow you to display a saying and the visitor's IP address and/or browser information in images which work on the same principle and are shared with others. In fact, here's one at IPNow.org that I found Googling:

It doesn't display something different every time that you view the page (unless you're using a different browser), but it works similarly.

Those work by displaying information about the visitor, not the poster, but I think that you could do something in phpBB. Create a BBCode that you can put in your signature that calls a rotation script, have the rotation script look in the attachments directory for images only submitted by the user who posted and randomly select one. In fact, any user could probably create orphaned attachments so they wouldn't even need the image in a post.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

jayboy21

Post by jayboy21 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:35 am

Sniper_E wrote:In order to use the rotate.php to alternate an image you would need a place online to put them.

This is how I would do it as a member of your site...

I would have a place on my site, in my phpBB3/images/ directory.
I would create a directory in there and name it mysig.gif/ <-phpBB3/images/mysig.gif/
That would not be a image named mysig.gif but a directory named mysig.gif/

I would download the rotate.php file I linked to and place it in my phpBB3/images/mysig.gif/ directory.
I would also copy all of my images in that same directory that I wanted to show as my sigs.
Then I would rename that rotate.php to index.php

Now as a member at your site I would put this in my sig:

[img]http://mysite.com/phpBB3/images/mysig.gif[/img]
Can you see how that works now?
yeah i am with you now! i don't want it available to everyone anyway I want to make it work for my self first anyway. I was toying with the idea of using it to rotate my header! I will give it a try later today..

thanks guys

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:52 pm

the idea behind the sig file thing was so that users could have a rotating img in their sig file that the board owner does not control.

if the board owner wishes to make that available there are probably easier ways than the method posted above.

also, if you (the owner) want to rotate your header image you don't need anything but a bit of javascript to do that.

the same applies to having a rotating sig file img for the owner only.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

Sniper_E

Post by Sniper_E » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:03 pm

I'd like to see that Lumpy. Is there another topic on how to use that javascript?
And can you use that to put your rotating sig in your profile out there on other forums?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:07 pm

Sniper_E wrote:I'd like to see that Lumpy. Is there another topic on how to use that javascript?
And can you use that to put your rotating sig in your profile out there on other forums?
what you described above is how you put a rotating img in your sig file on other forums.

you create the folder named whatever.png and inside that folder is your script etc.

to put something like that on your own board where you have access to the files etc. is what was being talked about in part of this topic.

There are plenty of javascripts that will create a rotating banner/logo/image that you can put in your overall_header.html file or wherever you want it.

I am not sure how you would do it in your own sig file on your own board but I bet it would not be hard to do.

There are two different things being discussed in this topic, doing this on your own board and being able to do it somebody else's board.

That is why I chimed in, it was getting confusing as to which poster was talking about which thing.
robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:38 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:the idea behind the sig file thing was so that users could have a rotating img in their sig file that the board owner does not control.
That was what the original post was asking about. However, when jayboy said, "i still am not sure how to creat it for my forum", I think that Sniper and I interpreted that as jayboy wanting to allow users on his board to have rotating signatures.
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:if the board owner wishes to make that available there are probably easier ways than the method posted above.
If you're referring to my suggestion, there may be an easier way, but how about some ideas instead of a nebulous "there are probably easier ways". I at least tried to offer a proof of concept.

The reason I suggested the method that I did was because phpBB allows uploading files (attachments) to the server. Trying to do it with JavaScript or trying access images on another server might be a bit more difficult than you think (if not impossible) -- JavaScript would need to access the phpBB database or enumerate files on the remote server. But feel free to post a solution that's easier to implement and prove me wrong.

The only difficult thing about my suggestion would be trying to upload an image to the server without making it an attachment in a post (an orphaned attachment). I believe that can be done by creating a post, adding an attachment, doing a Preview (just to make sure that the file is there) and then not submitting the post. That is a bit roundabout, but fixing it would require creating an upload.php file that basically did the same things that adding an attachment did. (I suppose that you could give each user an FTP account on your server for images, but then you'd need a different script to access files in the user's FTP directory, which doesn't sound much easiser.)

And remember, I wasn't actually suggesting that the board owner do that -- I was just trying to refute the claim that "You can't create a place for all of your users. Each user would have to have their place online somewhere." The method that I suggested allows a board owner to allow all of the board's users to place their images on the board's server in one place.
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:There are two different things being discussed in this topic, doing this on your own board and being able to do it somebody else's board.
Three things, actually -- how people do it on other boards, the OP wanting something like that on his own board and rotating banners (not sigs). :D But I didn't find any of it confusing. ;)

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Sniper_E

Post by Sniper_E » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:47 am

I only have four images setup but my sig here now is an example of using the rotate.php in the same directory as your images. My directory name is sig.gif and I renamed the rotate.php to index.php.

Thus... linking my sig image to: http://sniper.hostei.com/images/sig.gif in my profile.

[img]http://sniper.hostei.com/images/sig.gif[/img]
Any Questions?

jayboy21

Post by jayboy21 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:03 pm

I dont consider myself stupid,but this as confused the hell out of me lol
I have the rotate.php file you guys mention.

If i want to have rotating images as a signature on any forum (ok i will try it on my own first) then i put the rotate.php file in a folder along with the images correct!

for instance http://www.steeltalk.hockeytweets.co.uk ... eimage.php

is this correct?

what would be my sig code? this?

[img]http://www.steeltalk.hockeytweets.co.uk/Jay_folder/rotateimage.php[/img]

Sniper_E

Post by Sniper_E » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:09 pm

Well, that link you gave was dead. I tried to go and see your rotating images.

But IF your images were in that directory...
Rename that rotateimage.php file to index.php
Rename that Jay_folder/ directory to Jay_sig.gif <- directory name
Then link to it like this:

[img]http://www.steeltalk.hockeytweets.co.uk/Jay_sig.gif[/img]
The thing is... the [ img] tag does not except rotate.php as a image file.
This is why you name your directory Jay_sig.gif or Jay_sig.jpg or Jay_sig.png
A image has to have a image extension on it for it to be accepted.
You lie to the [ img] tag making it think your directory is a image, then the index.php will do the work.

jayboy21

Post by jayboy21 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:36 pm

It doesn't even exist yet! :) it was an example !

Return to “phpBB Discussion”