[Discuss] phpBB 3.1 "Ascraeus" to require PHP 5.3.3

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
krafyt
Registered User
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: [Discuss] phpBB 3.1 "Ascraeus" to require PHP 5.3.2

Post by krafyt » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:42 pm

Highly effective host I have. Asked them to do the upgrade and received an answer 5 mins later:

"Upgrade in progress. Will be finished within in 30 mins."

:D

User avatar
Freethinkaluva
Registered User
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:57 pm

Re: [Discuss] phpBB 3.1 "Ascraeus" to require PHP 5.3.2

Post by Freethinkaluva » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:12 pm

This is the first I've heard of version 5. At the top of my ACP I just noticed that it said:
"The version of PHP on this server will no longer be supported by future versions of phpBB."
and then gave a link to - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2152375

We just updated to version 3.0.11 so, how much time do I have? Will it be basically like any other version update?

User avatar
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Posts: 5666
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Wisconsin, U.S.
Name: Nathan

Re: [Discuss] phpBB 3.1 "Ascraeus" to require PHP 5.3.2

Post by EXreaction » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:46 pm

PHP is not the same as phpBB.

PHP is software your host must manage on their server, you need to contact them to do the update.

User avatar
Lumpy Burgertushie
Registered User
Posts: 66897
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 3:11 am
Contact:

Re: [Discuss] phpBB 3.1 "Ascraeus" to require PHP 5.3.2

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:13 pm

and I believe that "future versions of phpbb" is referring to phpbb3.1 and not any of the phpbb 3.0.x versions.


robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

User avatar
bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager
Posts: 2523
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:58 pm
Name: Andreas Fischer

Re: [Discuss] phpBB 3.1 "Ascraeus" to require PHP 5.3.2

Post by bantu » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:30 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:and I believe that "future versions of phpbb" is referring to phpbb3.1 and not any of the phpbb 3.0.x versions.
That's correct.
Powered by Coffee

User avatar
noth
Registered User
Posts: 2481
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:10 pm
Location: North Surrey
Contact:

Re: [Discuss] phpBB 3.1 "Ascraeus" to require PHP 5.3.2

Post by noth » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:09 pm

if you go into cPanel or phpMyAdmin, whereabouts do you go to see what php version the hosts are running?

User avatar
HGN
Former Team Member
Posts: 4706
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:53 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Name: Alfred
Contact:

Re: [Discuss] phpBB 3.1 "Ascraeus" to require PHP 5.3.2

Post by HGN » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:25 pm

You can see the php version through the phpBB's Administration Control Panel - PHP Information.
Attachments
PHP Information.PNG
PHP Information.PNG (35.68 KiB) Viewed 2283 times

User avatar
Jessica
Former Team Member
Posts: 4342
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:53 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Name: Jessica
Contact:

Re: [Discuss] phpBB 3.1 "Ascraeus" to require PHP 5.3.2

Post by Jessica » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:36 am

unless Phpinfo() has been disabled for security reasons :/ it's like that for mine. but I don't need to worry about my version.
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

User avatar
Lumpy Burgertushie
Registered User
Posts: 66897
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 3:11 am
Contact:

Re: [Discuss] phpBB 3.1 "Ascraeus" to require PHP 5.3.2

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:19 am

Jessica wrote:unless Phpinfo() has been disabled for security reasons :/ it's like that for mine. but I don't need to worry about my version.
are you saying that the link is in your admin panel but your host has disabled it for security reasons?

or, are you saying that the link is not there which means that you are apparently using a free forum host or a one click install from your hosting control panel?


robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

User avatar
Jessica
Former Team Member
Posts: 4342
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:53 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Name: Jessica
Contact:

Re: [Discuss] phpBB 3.1 "Ascraeus" to require PHP 5.3.2

Post by Jessica » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:23 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Jessica wrote:unless Phpinfo() has been disabled for security reasons :/ it's like that for mine. but I don't need to worry about my version.
are you saying that the link is in your admin panel but your host has disabled it for security reasons?

or, are you saying that the link is not there which means that you are apparently using a free forum host or a one click install from your hosting control panel?


robert
the first one. my host (x10hosting) has disabled it. though I managed to get the version in "Send statistical information"...so it's 5.3.16 (though apparently before it was 5.3.8...wrote it was that in my last post in this topic)
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

User avatar
keith10456
Registered User
Posts: 2315
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:55 pm
Contact:

Re: [Discuss] phpBB 3.1 "Ascraeus" to require PHP 5.3.2

Post by keith10456 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:26 pm

I'm on 5.3.16 as well (JustHost). My other option is 5.4 which another one of my major scripts (which utilizes Zend Guard) doesn't run on 5.4 (because Zend Guard doesn't currently support 5.4) :?

VickiFletcher
Registered User
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:48 am

Re: [Discuss] phpBB 3.1 "Ascraeus" to require PHP 5.3.2

Post by VickiFletcher » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:31 pm

If this is not the appropriate place to ask this, would someone be kind enough to let me know where to post.

I do want to be able to use the latest version, Ascraeus, when it's released.
(Approximately when will that be?)
I am currently hosted by HostGator through a reseller. Therefore, HostGator will NOT talk to me directly, nor can I post on their Forums.
My current version of PHP is 5.2.17, according to my C-Panel.

From reading the HostGator Forum, all I need to do is add the following to the .htaccess file in my public_html directory:

Code: Select all

# Use PHP 5.3
AddType application/x-httpd-php53 .php
Is that addition the only thing I need to do to update to PHP 5.3.2?
What can or will happen after I add it to my .htaccess file?
Does it take much time to accomplish?
Is there any possibility of anything going wrong?
Should I delete the php.ini file in my (/home/forum name) directory prior to editing to the .htaccess file?

I have NO understanding of PHP and very little understanding of phpBB. I do not want anything to go wrong if I do the upgrade.

I would really appreciate any help, input and insight in to making the upgrade to PHP 5.3.2 (or greater).
Thanks,
Vicki

User avatar
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Posts: 5666
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Wisconsin, U.S.
Name: Nathan

Re: [Discuss] phpBB 3.1 "Ascraeus" to require PHP 5.3.2

Post by EXreaction » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:46 pm

You must contact your host to resolve hosting related issues. If it is through a reseller, contact your reseller.

We are unable to provide hosting related support because we are not familiar with how the server is setup, so anything we may suggest is likely to be wrong.

User avatar
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Posts: 7022
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:41 am
Location: cheerleading practice
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Re: [Discuss] phpBB 3.1 "Ascraeus" to require PHP 5.3.2

Post by tbackoff » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:48 pm

VickiFletcher wrote:I do want to be able to use the latest version, Ascraeus, when it's released.
(Approximately when will that be?)
There is currently no specific date for when phpBB 3.1.x will be released (it's not even in beta yet).
VickiFletcher wrote:I am currently hosted by HostGator through a reseller. Therefore, HostGator will NOT talk to me directly, nor can I post on their Forums.
My current version of PHP is 5.2.17, according to my C-Panel.

From reading the HostGator Forum, all I need to do is add the following to the .htaccess file in my public_html directory:

Code: Select all

# Use PHP 5.3
AddType application/x-httpd-php53 .php
Is that addition the only thing I need to do to update to PHP 5.3.2?
What can or will happen after I add it to my .htaccess file?
Does it take much time to accomplish?
Is there any possibility of anything going wrong?
Should I delete the php.ini file in my (/home/forum name) directory prior to editing to the .htaccess file?
Have you tried asking the reseller? As for the code to your .htaccess, I seem to remember reading that somewhere. However, you should really contact the reseller to see what they have to say.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.

VickiFletcher
Registered User
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:48 am

Re: [Discuss] phpBB 3.1 "Ascraeus" to require PHP 5.3.2

Post by VickiFletcher » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:01 pm

t_backoff wrote: There is currently no specific date for when phpBB 3.1.x will be released (it's not even in beta yet).
Ohhhh, so then there isn't any rush to get this done then. That's good to know.
t_backoff wrote: Have you tried asking the reseller? As for the code to your .htaccess, I seem to remember reading that somewhere. However, you should really contact the reseller to see what they have to say.
The reseller I have wouldn't know the answer(s). He just has a couple of users that he hosts and gives us the access for free.

Thanks for the information!
Vicki

Post Reply

Return to “phpBB Discussion”