release date for 3.1?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Re: MODs in phpBB 3.1

Post by Pony99CA »

*Daniel wrote:Now is 3.1 going to be so big that no mod will work with it? Or is it depending on what changes there are?
I believe that 3.1 was always considered to be a non-compatible version, so new MODs would be required. However, as long as the code base doesn't radically change, I suspect that many MODs will be easy to update.

Of course, that may be missing the point. Ideally, MOD authors would rewrite their MODs to use events/hooks wherever possible.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Re: MODs in phpBB 3.1

Post by Danielx64 »

Pony99CA wrote:
*Daniel wrote:Now is 3.1 going to be so big that no mod will work with it? Or is it depending on what changes there are?
I believe that 3.1 was always considered to be a non-compatible version, so new MODs would be required. However, as long as the code base doesn't radically change, I suspect that many MODs will be easy to update.

Of course, that may be missing the point. Ideally, MOD authors would rewrite their MODs to use events/hooks wherever possible.

Steve
I understand that the point is to rewrite stuff but some of us have a really hacked up board and if I show the public what I been upto, yeah it won't look good when 3.1 comes out. (It all works but it a pain in the ass to upgrade)
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.
Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader
Name: Patrick Webster

Re: release date for 3.1?

Post by Noxwizard »

Pony99CA wrote:I believe that 3.1 was always considered to be a non-compatible version, so new MODs would be required.
No. It has always been the intent to keep 3.1 as backwards compatible as possible. The more drastic changes were to be made in 3.2.
[Support Template] - [Read Before Posting] - [phpBB Knowledge Base]
Do not contact me for private support, please share the question in our forums.
MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC »

In some ways correct. Work has been done so MODs already installed on your board will continue to work (however there will probably be quite a few merge conflicts) however most MODs being released will need significant changes to:
1) Turn into an extension (If they choose to (highly recommended))
2) Use events (hooks)
3) Adjust to new 3.1 coding guidelines, new MOD DB Policies
4) Adjusting to use new things like request class intead of request_var
5) Simply fixing conflicts due to the high amount of 3.1 changes

In 3.1 something new is being added called extensions. Extensions are self-contained MODs. They literally drop into a directory, then you have an ACP UI to view the meta-data, enable/disable them and you can even disable them but keep the data in the database. Then you have a purge function which deletes the database data too.

From 3.1's release MODs will still be accepted (I think) but they will be less popular for a number of reasons.
1) Extensions are easy for mod authors to write as its all in one extension, no more having to work out what edits you've made
2) Extensions are easy for admins to enable/disable at the drop of a hat
3) Extensions can be completely managed from the ACP including uploading, deleting, enabling, disabling, purging, viewing information etc. MODs however will require the board admin to add autoMOD.
4) Extensions must be completely edit less (like plugins).

That's just how extensions work in a few sentences, there will be a lot more information given out by the MOD Team once 3.1 has been released.
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss.
Formerly Website Team Lead/Manager & Development Team.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free
Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Post by Danielx64 »

Unknown Bliss wrote:
In some ways correct. Work has been done so MODs already installed on your board will continue to work (however there will probably be quite a few merge conflicts) however most MODs being released will need significant changes to:
1) Turn into an extension (If they choose to (highly recommended))
2) Use events (hooks)
3) Adjust to new 3.1 coding guidelines, new MOD DB Policies
4) Adjusting to use new things like request class intead of request_var
5) Simply fixing conflicts due to the high amount of 3.1 changes

In 3.1 something new is being added called extensions. Extensions are self-contained MODs. They literally drop into a directory, then you have an ACP UI to view the meta-data, enable/disable them and you can even disable them but keep the data in the database. Then you have a purge function which deletes the database data too.

From 3.1's release MODs will still be accepted (I think) but they will be less popular for a number of reasons.
1) Extensions are easy for mod authors to write as its all in one extension, no more having to work out what edits you've made
2) Extensions are easy for admins to enable/disable at the drop of a hat
3) Extensions can be completely managed from the ACP including uploading, deleting, enabling, disabling, purging, viewing information etc. MODs however will require the board admin to add autoMOD.
4) Extensions must be completely edit less (like plugins).

That's just how extensions work in a few sentences, there will be a lot more information given out by the MOD Team once 3.1 has been released.
So will that mean that everything will be done via index.php like how IP.Board is heading? Will I still be able (even though it never been supported in the first place) get mods like a gallery, download and a bug tracker all working in their own subdomain?

Even then, what will happen to mods like the gallery mod where people been having it in domainforums/gallery (the supported and standard install)?
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.
Boardtalk.net
Name: Colette

Post by Boardtalk.net »

Unknown Bliss wrote:4) Extensions must be completely edit less (like plugins)
Me thinks this will draw a huge amount of interest from the ordinary Joe soap who just wants a functioning forum and the ability to add a couple of features easily; click and it works!
Can't wait to see how it functions in this regard ;)
MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC »

Boardtalk.net wrote:
Unknown Bliss wrote:4) Extensions must be completely edit less (like plugins)
Me thinks this will draw a huge amount of interest from the ordinary Joe soap who just wants a functioning forum and the ability to add a couple of features easily; click and it works!
Can't wait to see how it functions in this regard ;)
Well extensions currently exist in the repository develop branch and the only things that need doing are adding an ACP UI for extensions tasks and events (hooks) so you can modify code.
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss.
Formerly Website Team Lead/Manager & Development Team.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free
Oleg
Former Team Member

Re: Vote phpBB as the Best Forum Software of 2012

Post by Oleg »

Pony99CA wrote:
Unknown Bliss wrote:3.1 alpha will be released as soon as the hooks system (now called events) is finished.
Getting a bit off-topic here, so what the heck. :) I don't like the renaming. I think "events" should be reserved for user-level events (when a user gets X posts, promote him to the Y group; if a user has been registered a year, send him an anniversary E-mail; etc.). Ranks and subscriptions could even be subsumed into events.

Steve
If you are serious with this please read the hooks topic starting with http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 5&start=50, especially http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 79#p236479, and offer your opinion there.

Right now we can still change from events to something else, provided the arguments are sufficiently strong.
Participate in phpBB development: Get involved | Issue tracker | Report a bug | Development board | [url=irc://chat.freenode.net/phpbb-dev]Development IRC chat[/url]
My stuff: mindlinkgame.com
HGN
Former Team Member
Name: Alfred

Re: realise data for 3.1?

Post by HGN »

The first reply in this topic already referred to Area51 as the place to retrieve information on 3.1.
nextgen wrote:phpBB 3.1 Information and Status There you can view the status of that version
The previous post made by Oleg shows that the place to be for offering opinions and discussing the development of 3.1 is Area51.

It is obviously best to have these discussions at one place, so please continue on Area51.

Area51 requires registration apart from phpbb.com. Everyone is able to register on Area51, preferrably with the same username as on phpbb.com.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”