phpBB's killer feature

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
Pony99CA
Registered User
Posts: 4783
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: Hollister, CA
Name: Steve
Contact:

Re: phpBB's killer feature

Post by Pony99CA »

callumacrae wrote:I mean, who puts their board in /forum/ anyway? EVERYONE puts it in /board/!

:roll:
What somebody calls it on their own site is one thing. However, unless you're a noob here, you know that forums are different than boards (and you don't call topics "threads", either) -- especially when calling other admins clueless for something so shallow as using the default style. If terminology isn't important, why have so many people on this board made the distinction?

I would hope that somebody on the Website team would have more concern for accuracy. :?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
User avatar
HGN
Former Team Member
Posts: 4706
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:53 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Name: Alfred
Contact:

Re: phpBB's killer feature

Post by HGN »

Please let's stay on topic here:

What makes you say,
I just want phpBB.

(In my native language Dutch, this rhymes nicely.)
User avatar
imkingdavid
Former Team Member
Posts: 2673
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:59 pm
Location: EST
Name: David King

Re: phpBB's killer feature

Post by imkingdavid »

Pony99CA wrote:What somebody calls it on their own site is one thing. However, unless you're a noob here, you know that forums are different than boards (and you don't call topics "threads", either) -- especially when calling other admins clueless for something so shallow as using the default style. If terminology isn't important, why have so many people on this board made the distinction?
Personally, I use forum and board interchangeably, even though "forum" is technically the term for the individual areas in which topics are posted, whereas "board" is the collection of fora (pl. of forum). I have been known to do the same with topic and thread (because in some cases, if I am saying "the original topic of this topic", that is more unclear than "the original topic of this thread"). I may be a "noob", I'm not sure. But ultimately, it really isn't important.

Back on topic, what I like most about phpBB is its ease of customization (note the "z", I am American, and we spel rite :)). I'm sure that other software is customizable as well, or they probably wouldn't have very large communities. However, phpBB has a fairly straightforward code base that is easy to follow. I originally started out making MODs, and then began contributing the core as well. I enjoy doing both.
Don't forget to smile today. :)
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
User avatar
Kamahl19
Registered User
Posts: 1598
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:33 pm
Location: Slovakia
Name: Martin
Contact:

Re: phpBB's killer feature

Post by Kamahl19 »

imkingdavid wrote:Back on topic, what I like most about phpBB is its ease of customization (note the "z", I am American, and we spel rite :)). I'm sure that other software is customizable as well, or they probably wouldn't have very large communities. However, phpBB has a fairly straightforward code base that is easy to follow. I originally started out making MODs, and then began contributing the core as well. I enjoy doing both.
Thats exactly what I wanted to say. The only difference is that I am just a MOD author, but if I was more skilled, I would like to contribute to phpbb because of its customization. I hate to be lost in Prestashop or Joomla code when I need to edit something.
User avatar
imkingdavid
Former Team Member
Posts: 2673
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:59 pm
Location: EST
Name: David King

Re: phpBB's killer feature

Post by imkingdavid »

Kamahl19 wrote:Thats exactly what I wanted to say. The only difference is that I am just a MOD author, but if I was more skilled, I would like to contribute to phpbb because of its customization. I hate to be lost in Prestashop or Joomla code when I need to edit something.
I was "just a MOD author" when I started contributing. If you're interested in helping, don't be afraid to take a stab at it. We don't bite... hard. ;)
Don't forget to smile today. :)
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
wbxpress
Registered User
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:29 pm
Contact:

Re: phpBB's killer feature

Post by wbxpress »

I have chosen phpBB 3.0.10 with the following mods /styles; I am very satisfied with it.

1. Prosilver SE but dynamic width
2. Menu, below header like phpBB.com
3. Custom header background.
4. Simple reputation point by Pico.
5. Mini-Chat by RMCGirr.
6. Share Topic Plus (Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus) (not supported anymore :( , i have little problem in G+)
7. Only Admin can Edit Mod.

I don't like to use too many mods.
These are the simplest killer feature in my humble opinion. :)
User avatar
MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Posts: 3642
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:36 pm
Location: Surrey, UK
Name: Michael Cullum
Contact:

Re: phpBB's killer feature

Post by MichaelC »

imkingdavid wrote:
Kamahl19 wrote:Thats exactly what I wanted to say. The only difference is that I am just a MOD author, but if I was more skilled, I would like to contribute to phpbb because of its customization. I hate to be lost in Prestashop or Joomla code when I need to edit something.
I was "just a MOD author" when I started contributing. If you're interested in helping, don't be afraid to take a stab at it. We don't bite... hard. ;)
Most people generally go through this sort of process but lots of people skip chunks and everyone is different. But the more you develop for phpBB the more skilled you will become.

Board Admin --> Customising your board --> Making a small mod --> Making further larger mods --> Participate in phpBB feature discussions --> Fix some bugs in phpBB --> Complete a small RFC for the phpBB --> Develop larger features for phpBB.
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss.
Formerly Website Team Lead/Manager & Development Team.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free
MDesign
Registered User
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:37 pm
Contact:

Re: phpBB's killer feature

Post by MDesign »

phpBB is by far the best for editing templates, and the features are simple to use.
Other bulletin boards are always going to have some sort of competition between each other, but your going to be ending up liking either phpBB's style, or the others.
uuiiuu
Registered User
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: phpBB's killer feature

Post by uuiiuu »

the best secutiry of all systems
easy to use, and great interface
pretty good designs
tons of mods!
User avatar
Jessica
Former Team Member
Posts: 4342
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:53 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Name: Jessica
Contact:

Re: phpBB's killer feature

Post by Jessica »

phpBB has a lot more mods and really good ones too, than other forum softwares. It has a lot of advantages and features others don't have. There are still some disadvantages phpBB has, but overall it's the best. SMF is the next best, but that's another story. (I have a page on my forum that lists all the advantages/disadvantages of phpBB vs SMF)
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
gamecamera
Registered User
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:55 am

Re: phpBB's killer feature

Post by gamecamera »

The layout is what really caught my eye, then the i looked at the writing and i think you did a very nice job. Good work
Post Reply

Return to “phpBB Discussion”