Should Forum Members Be Able To Edit/Delete Their Posts?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
SeanFace101
Name: Sean Quinn

Should Forum Members Be Able To Edit/Delete Their Posts?

Post by SeanFace101 »

Hey..
I have a xbox forum & im not sure weither i should allow my members to be able to edit and/or delete their posts.
What have you got set on your forum?
Whats your thought on allowing editing & deleting posts by members?
Last edited by HGN on Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from "General discussion" to "phpBB discussion"
Elias
Name: Elias

Re: Should Forum Members Be Able To Edit/Delete Their Posts?

Post by Elias »

I would allow them to edit their post but not delete it ;)
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|
Offering private web hosting. Contact me for details.
MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC »

Elias wrote:I would allow them to edit their post but not delete it ;)
They can be the same thing. You can edit to to [Content Removed], but generally I would allow editing but not deleting.
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss.
Formerly Website Team Lead/Manager & Development Team.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

The best solution, in my opinion, is to allow timed editing. Meaning you get to edit your post within 24 hours of your initial posting, at which time it becomes locked.

Why?

This addresses several issues. First, if I make a typo and don't notice it until I submit my post, I can still correct it. If my typo goes for 24 hours without being caught then I have to live with it. :)

Second, it addresses spammers who come to your board and enter stuff like "nice post, I learned a lot" and then come back a week later to add spam links after the post has scrolled off the front page, and in theory away from moderator attention.

Third, it addresses the ability of folks to ask a question, wait for an answer, and then go back and edit their first post with "resolved" or something stupid like that. It destroys the value of the topic to later users who might be searching for the solution to the same problem.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC »

drathbun wrote:Third, it addresses the ability of folks to ask a question, wait for an answer, and then go back and edit their first post with "resolved" or something stupid like that. It destroys the value of the topic to later users who might be searching for the solution to the same problem.
What if they need to update it with information for example of the phpBB.com forum, how would you deal with the MOD/Styless in Development forum?
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss.
Formerly Website Team Lead/Manager & Development Team.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free
SeanFace101

Post by SeanFace101 »

Currently i have it so my members cant edit or delete their posts.
I have 2 groups on my forum "XLF Reviewers" & "Forum Welcomers". These members help out on the forum & they can edit & delete their posts. But im thinking about making it so no one can delete posts, but everything can edit them upto to 30 minutes after posting then no more.

As well as members being able to post allowed content, then go back a while later and change it to spam content.. I dont like the idea of a member posting a thread, then after getting replies to it, change it to say differant text to make it look as if the members replied on that instead of the thread which was there before the edit.

I also saw on a thread somewhere that its bad for your SEO if members can delete their posts. :P
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Unknown Bliss wrote: What if they need to update it with information for example of the phpBB.com forum, how would you deal with the MOD/Styless in Development forum?
I remember there were discussions of this. If we turned on the Edit Timelimit, we would need a mod to allow topic authors to edit their first post in such forums.
SeanFace101

Post by SeanFace101 »

Elias wrote:I would allow them to edit their post but not delete it ;)
Yes, Thats seems to be the general feedback im getting from people.
(Never let members delete) (Limited editing time period for members)
Brf wrote:I remember there were discussions of this. If we turned on the Edit Timelimit, we would need a mod to allow topic authors to edit their first post in such forums.
Are you saying if i set it to limited editing time for members, i will need a MOD too?
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

It depends on whether you need Topic authors to be able to edit their initial post after the timelimit. In our forums offering Mods and Styles, the topic authors would want to update their first post whenever a new version is written. The Edit Timelimit would prevent them from editing in this case.
SeanFace101

Post by SeanFace101 »

Brf wrote:It depends on whether you need Topic authors to be able to edit their initial post after the timelimit. In our forums offering Mods and Styles, the topic authors would want to update their first post whenever a new version is written. The Edit Timelimit would prevent them from editing in this case.
Well, my member dont really need to edit their post, except if they make a mistake. I rekon ill go for the No Members Can Delete and also Members 30 Mins Editing Time Limit. :P
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Unknown Bliss wrote:
drathbun wrote:Third, it addresses the ability of folks to ask a question, wait for an answer, and then go back and edit their first post with "resolved" or something stupid like that. It destroys the value of the topic to later users who might be searching for the solution to the same problem.
What if they need to update it with information for example of the phpBB.com forum, how would you deal with the MOD/Styless in Development forum?
That's a very specific case that could certainly occur on other boards as well as this one, I see your point.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
victory1

Post by victory1 »

I belong to an admin board and several boards had disgruntled members that actually edit or deleted their posts to gibberish (example: xxxxxxxvvvvbbbbbbbb) because they were angry and wanted to leave. So my policy, only moderators has deleted power and members can edit their posts for up to 24 hours.
Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Post by Jessica »

I allow my members to edit. delete, no. but edit yes. I don't like forums that don't let you edit your own post...
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

I don't understand why people wouldn't allow deleting posts. phpBB only allows non-Moderators to delete their posts if the post is the last one in the topic.

The only problem with the phpBB deletion policy is that somebody could be quoting your post when you delete it, and if the quoter hasn't submitted the post when you delete it, their submission will include a quote of a post that's no longer there. Presumably that's a rare case, but it could happen. Even worse would be if they didn't even quote the post and just referenced things in it (something that's often done when replying to the last post in a topic), so there's not even a quote in the reply for context. (That's one reason to always quote the post, even if it's the last one. Another is that somebody else could post between the last post and yours.)

One example where allowing deletion is useful is duplicate posts. If I had accidentally posted a duplicate, I'd want to be able to delete one of them. Yes, moderators could do it, but I might notice it well before any moderators.

As an aside, here at phpBB.com, they don't seem to delete lots of posts that probably should be deleted. If somebody posts a duplicate topic, a topic that violates the rules (like recruiting), etc., they tend to just lock the topic instead of deleting it. I still don't understand why. Do they think those topics serve as examples of what not to do? :D (I do know that some posts get moved into a hidden forum, but there are still lots of locked topics that probably shouldn't be there.)

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
SeanFace101

Post by SeanFace101 »

Pony99CA wrote:I don't understand why people wouldn't allow deleting posts.
I also saw on a thread somewhere that its bad for your SEO if members can delete their posts.
Say they make a topic, then in a while they come back & delete that page, you lose any rank, etc.. that page is giving your site.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”