Should Forum Members Be Able To Edit/Delete Their Posts?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Re: Should Forum Members Be Able To Edit/Delete Their Posts?

Post by Pony99CA »

SeanFace101 wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:I don't understand why people wouldn't allow deleting posts.
I also saw on a thread somewhere that its bad for your SEO if members can delete their posts.
Say they make a topic, then in a while they come back & delete that page, you lose any rank, etc.. that page is giving your site.
Perhaps, but the only way that a member could delete a "page" is if they deleted the topic (or, possibly, their post started a new page in the topic, but I'm not sure about that). The only way that they can delete the topic is if they're the only one that posted in it. I don't think that's a big deal.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
SeanFace101
Name: Sean Quinn

Post by SeanFace101 »

Pony99CA wrote:
SeanFace101 wrote:
I also saw on a thread somewhere that its bad for your SEO if members can delete their posts.
Say they make a topic, then in a while they come back & delete that page, you lose any rank, etc.. that page is giving your site.
Perhaps, but the only way that a member could delete a "page" is if they deleted the topic (or, possibly, their post started a new page in the topic, but I'm not sure about that). The only way that they can delete the topic is if they're the only one that posted in it. I don't think that's a big deal.

Steve
Maybe,. But..
Say a member starts a thread & doesnt come back on my forum fow a while. In that while lots of other members post on it and it becomes a very popular page, etc.. Then that member could come back at one point and delete his first post in that thread, deleting the thread itself. well all the posts for that thread would be deleted i would imagine. Say that thread has 5, 10, 15 pages. All them would be lost because the member has deleted their post(thread).
Cpt. Blackbeard

Post by Cpt. Blackbeard »

I allow 20 minutes, plenty of time for them to proofread what they posted. After that they are free to request it be edited or deleted. I've been on boards where you read a post then return later and it's gone, I don't like that. Never understood why boasrds would allow unrestricted editing and deleting unless the type of board called for it.
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae »

30 minutes to edit the post, unless it is the first post of a topic, and no deletion.

That's what I do :-D
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

SeanFace101 wrote: Say a member starts a thread & doesnt come back on my forum fow a while. In that while lots of other members post on it and it becomes a very popular page, etc.. Then that member could come back at one point and delete his first post in that thread, deleting the thread itself. well all the posts for that thread would be deleted i would imagine. Say that thread has 5, 10, 15 pages. All them would be lost because the member has deleted their post(thread).
Please go back and read my posts. Your scenario is not possible because a non-moderator can only delete a post if it's the last one in the topic. So the only way what you propose could happen is if that user was the only one who had posted or the user convinced every user who posted after the first post to also delete their posts.

What are the odds of either of those happening?

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

SeanFace101 wrote:
Right. Which is why spammers never come 'round and delete their posts. They don't want to wreck the SEO.
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog
Dogs and things

Post by Dogs and things »

drathbun wrote:
Unknown Bliss wrote:
drathbun wrote:Third, it addresses the ability of folks to ask a question, wait for an answer, and then go back and edit their first post with "resolved" or something stupid like that. It destroys the value of the topic to later users who might be searching for the solution to the same problem.
What if they need to update it with information for example of the phpBB.com forum, how would you deal with the MOD/Styless in Development forum?
That's a very specific case that could certainly occur on other boards as well as this one, I see your point.
On my board I can set a board-wide edit time-limit, a per-forum edit time-limit and a different edit time-limit for individual users.

This allows for enough control. :)
For phpBB2 support visit phpBB2refugees.
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Dog Cow wrote:
SeanFace101 wrote:
Right. Which is why spammers never come 'round and delete their posts. They don't want to wreck the SEO.
In case that wasn't a joke, it's not really the same thing. A spammer deleting his post would break the SEO for his site (probably due to removing a backlink); a user of your site deleting a post may hurt your site's SEO by removing content from your site.

But, as I said, a user can only delete a post if it's the last post in the topic, so it's not really a huge deal. Allowing unlimited editing is potentially a far worse SEO issue because users can edit all of their posts as previously mentioned (presuming that he has the permissions to do so).

Of course, if a user does delete his posts and had any links to his site (especially signature links), he'd potentially be hurting his own SEO by doing that. :D

Steve
techtonic

Post by techtonic »

Another possible solution (and possibly a mod) is to not allow editing original posts, but allowing continuation of more information in the post. A lot of people do this informally. They would put for example -

edit: also more text goes here.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”