Why there isnt atleast beta version of 3.1??

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
uuiiuu

Why there isnt atleast beta version of 3.1??

Post by uuiiuu » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:46 am

ive been waiting for a long time for phpBB 3.1, phpBB is my favourite system!
and i saw the development notes, and the rfc and stuff that are going to be added, but how much more time are we going to wait?
why cant you release a beta version of all thw work you have done so far? i sqw the dev version, but it has only one extra feature, and i wanna see all the other rfc's that you promised to add the the system.
i am one step away from bying the Xenforo forum system, and i wouldnt want to just throw money, but im not gonna wait for 5 more years in the promise the phpBB 3.1 that release date is unknowen and probebly not in the close future...

i hope we could atlease see a beta version of the system

thanks for reading, this is for the programmers more then its for users...

callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Re: Why there isnt atleast beta version of 3.1??

Post by callumacrae » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:22 pm

It's got far more than one extra feature! The download from GitHub has the features listed here: http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 63#p231163
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:30 pm

uuiiuu wrote:why cant you release a beta version of all thw work you have done so far?
It doesn't make sense to release a beta of something that isn't beta ready. It will only result in the release of more beta's than needed, also as beta releases won't be supported it will only be used by those that also run the actual development package.
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

oddfish

Post by oddfish » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:40 pm

Certainly not in a state to release as a beta and with changes happening surprisingly quickly for a pre alpha stage , keeping up will test the average enthusiast.

Best to be patient Imo,
oddfish.
Country Flag User Edition Clickable Post Count Link

... another record broken without breaking any records ...
Testing phpBB3.1 dark style based on prosilver ... http://www.oddmods.net

Oleg
Former Team Member

Post by Oleg » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:54 am

3.1 is not yet beta-quality. We are still making large changes to the architecture and things do break periodically.
Participate in phpBB development: Get involved | Issue tracker | Report a bug | Development board | [url=irc://chat.freenode.net/phpbb-dev]Development IRC chat[/url]
My stuff: mindlinkgame.com

uuiiuu

Post by uuiiuu » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:39 pm

Oleg wrote:3.1 is not yet beta-quality. We are still making large changes to the architecture and things do break periodically.
so my question is, how much more time are we going to wait?
i lvoe phpbb, and i cant wait for 3.1 to come out, but if it will take till 2015 them i have no choice

Christian 2.0
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Post by Christian 2.0 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:56 pm

uuiiuu wrote:i lvoe phpbb, and i cant wait for 3.1 to come out, but if it will take till 2015 them i have no choice
If you're referring to changing forum software, would that not be counter-productive?

Leaving one bulletin board solution which apparently already suits your needs, for another which may not, on the basis that you do not wish to wait a few more months for a particular update. :?

DrinkChoc
Name: Daniel

Post by DrinkChoc » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:11 pm

Christian 2.0 wrote:
uuiiuu wrote:i lvoe phpbb, and i cant wait for 3.1 to come out, but if it will take till 2015 them i have no choice
If you're referring to changing forum software, would that not be counter-productive?

Leaving one bulletin board solution which apparently already suits your needs, for another which may not, on the basis that you do not wish to wait a few more months for a particular update. :?
Agreed.

If you're wanting 3.1 to come out soon but are thinking about changing forum solutions instead of waiting, then that doesn't really make sense. It depends what it is you're actually after with 3.1, because if it's down to features then for now, there is a wide variety of MODs that you install. If it's down to security, phpBB is already incredibly secure. So, why do you want 3.1 to come out so soon anyway?
Daniel || Web & Graphic Designer

Me | Forrst | Dribbble

Want an invite to Forrst? Just ask via PM.

wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Post by wGEric » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:44 pm

uuiiuu wrote:so my question is, how much more time are we going to wait?
It took about 1.5 years for 3.0 to go from beta to gold release. So if they do a similar length of testing the gold release will probably be released within 1.5 to 2 years. But of course this all depends on when they release a beta.

My suggestion would be to switch if you need something now. In two years you can choose to switch back. If phpBB was in beta or RC then I would tell you to wait but at this point you are probably better of switching to whatever will fit your needs instead of waiting for phpBB.
Eric

callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:01 pm

wGEric wrote:
It took about 1.5 years for 3.0 to go from beta to gold release. So if they do a similar length of testing the gold release will probably be released within 1.5 to 2 years. But of course this all depends on when they release a beta.

My suggestion would be to switch if you need something now. In two years you can choose to switch back. If phpBB was in beta or RC then I would tell you to wait but at this point you are probably better of switching to whatever will fit your needs instead of waiting for phpBB.
3.1 won't take anywhere near that, as there are far less changes as there were in 3.0.
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of

MichaelC
Development Team Member
Development Team Member
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:23 pm

wGEric wrote:

3.0 was an almost complete rewrite (as you know), 3.1 just makes a large number of changes to refactor/add features backend & frontend features. As such the beta preiod should be significantly shorter than it was for olympus.
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free
Website Feedback || Website Tracker

wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Post by wGEric » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:01 pm

callumacrae wrote:3.1 won't take anywhere near that, as there are far less changes as there were in 3.0.
Unknown Bliss wrote:3.0 was an almost complete rewrite (as you know), 3.1 just makes a large number of changes to refactor/add features backend & frontend features. As such the beta preiod should be significantly shorter than it was for olympus.
Yet it takes longer to develop ... There is so much uncertainty about the release that I still stand my suggestion of switching to another bulletin board if it fits your needs instead of waiting for 3.1.
Eric

Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Post by Danielx64 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:23 am

For one I would just build a phpbb 3.0 site and only upgrade if I can see a upgrade path coming. I suppose I'm one of those people who got 40 mods installed along with other bits and peices that been written.

If I'm right, there are still people running phpbb 2.0 sites on the net.
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:22 am

*Daniel wrote:If I'm right, there are still people running phpbb 2.0 sites on the net.
Yes, that is true.
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|

uuiiuu

Post by uuiiuu » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:51 am

DrinkChoc wrote:Agreed.

If you're wanting 3.1 to come out soon but are thinking about changing forum solutions instead of waiting, then that doesn't really make sense. It depends what it is you're actually after with 3.1, because if it's down to features then for now, there is a wide variety of MODs that you install. If it's down to security, phpBB is already incredibly secure. So, why do you want 3.1 to come out so soon anyway?
Because even though phpbb is so qwsome, the 3.0.x cant compete with the new system, that has lots of features and tons of javascript, phpbb has great interface & great security, but its missing some very basic features that ive read will be on phpBB 3.1, thats why i am waiting so much, but hoe musch more time will we wait?

theres an article from 2010 speaking about 3.1, and til today we barerly saw something, so is 3.1 going to come out till the end of 2012? is it going to be 2013? is it going to be in the next few years?
who knows?
other systems release new version everu mounth, even for a small change, and here it it has been 5 years sense the release of phpBB 3, and all we had is ten small upgrades, and we didnt see any new features from 3.0.6.

i know that phpBB is a voulenteer project, but if they dont have time to develog it, dont keep as hanging!

Return to “phpBB Discussion”