phpbb SEO Premod

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
-EnYgmA-

Re: phpbb SEO Premod

Post by -EnYgmA- » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:56 am

I've never forced to install it, I just read that for you SEO is not important what follows from it returns to that effect.

Some say they have encountered trouble when installing mods or even the simple use, and I tell you I have never met any concern except compatibility with STK since its passage in version 1.0 .5.

I'm still going to spit on Premod while we never got in trouble ? :P

CaNNon_

Post by CaNNon_ » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:19 pm

-EnYgmA- wrote:When I read I have a feeling that your forums are based only on the flood, from there I understand your opinion on Premod !

Except to say "This sucks" or "It is useless" yet he must know how to use it and the beginning of a good SEO.

The English make fun of referencing (in general)

I may have made a little fun of it, but if you consider the definition of optimization then think about the robots you are trying to improve the site for how does hiding the true url help you?

Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:16 pm

CaNNon_ wrote:
-EnYgmA- wrote:When I read I have a feeling that your forums are based only on the flood, from there I understand your opinion on Premod !

Except to say "This sucks" or "It is useless" yet he must know how to use it and the beginning of a good SEO.

I may have made a little fun of it, but if you consider the definition of optimization then think about the robots you are trying to improve the site for how does hiding the true url help you?
Think of it as removing duplicate content of the same page ( or in this case topic ) and removing that pesky sid from the URL. it's -http://www.phpbb.com/community/posting. ... p=13136822
vs -http://www.phpbb.com/community/topic12345.html
it's adding page title number to the topics, which we will see soon with phpbb3.
it's having sitemaps... something phpbb has needed since the last decade.
Heck wordpress probably the #1 opensourcesoftware uses permalinks and so does the Titania database they have here. Even they know having URL structure is awesome. it's about making it user friendly. ;)
And ofc none of that matters if you do not have useful content on your site.

callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:24 pm

Peter77sx wrote:Think of it as removing duplicate content of the same page ( or in this case topic ) and removing that pesky sid from the URL. it's -http://www.phpbb.com/community/posting. ... p=13136822
it's adding page title number to the topics, which we will see soon with phpbb3.
Heck wordpress probably the #1 opensourcesoftware uses permalinks and so does the Titania database they have here. Even they know having URL structure is awesome. it's about making it user friendly. ;)
Those two URLs would go to completely different places :shock:
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:47 pm

Peter77sx wrote:
CaNNon_ wrote:

Think of it as removing duplicate content of the same page ( or in this case topic ) and removing that pesky sid from the URL.
The SID is hidden from SE's.
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

CaNNon_

Post by CaNNon_ » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:02 pm

Peter77sx wrote:
CaNNon_ wrote:

Think of it as removing duplicate content of the same page ( or in this case topic ) and removing that pesky sid from the URL. it's -http://www.phpbb.com/community/posting. ... p=13136822
I know all this peter and if phpbb3 redefines how it handles urls it's not the same thing. Your talking about real SEO big difference from just rewriting url's on the fly. ;)

Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Post by Danielx64 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:22 am

Erik Frèrejean wrote: The SID is hidden from SE's.
May I ask how that work? Some function that say if search engine, remove SID from url?
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:16 am

*Daniel wrote:
May I ask how that work? Some function that say if search engine, remove SID from url?
Yes, phpBB will check whether the user is a SE, if so it will always strip the SID as there is no use for the SID when a bot is browsing the board.
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:26 pm

Erik Frèrejean wrote:
*Daniel wrote:
Yes, phpBB will check whether the user is a SE, if so it will always strip the SID as there is no use for the SID when a bot is browsing the board.
I haven't checked the code, but I presume that "whether the user is a SE" means "if the user is in the Bots list" (and probably not disabled). That's technically different than being a search engine because the Bots list doesn't contain all search engines (and it also contains some things that aren't search engines).

By the way, if people are using PreMODs, I have to wonder what will happen when phpBB 3.1 comes out. Will the PreMOD provider make an upgrade avaiable?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:51 pm

Pony99CA wrote:I haven't checked the code, but I presume that "whether the user is a SE" means "if the user is in the Bots list" (and probably not disabled). That's technically different than being a search engine because the Bots list doesn't contain all search engines (and it also contains some things that aren't search engines).

By the way, if people are using PreMODs, I have to wonder what will happen when phpBB 3.1 comes out. Will the PreMOD provider make an upgrade avaiable?

Steve
It depends how they've gone it. If they've used git for the premod, then it might take a couple weeks to them to make the upgrade available. If they haven't, then it will be months, if at all.
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:35 pm

Pony99CA wrote:
Erik Frèrejean wrote:
*Daniel wrote:
I haven't checked the code, but I presume that "whether the user is a SE" means "if the user is in the Bots list" (and probably not disabled). That's technically different than being a search engine because the Bots list doesn't contain all search engines (and it also contains some things that aren't search engines).
Well yes, if phpBB recognizes the user as an SE.
If you find the bot list being incorrect you can always file a bug report on the matter ;).

NintendoMii

Post by NintendoMii » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:07 pm

It has been proven that all the mayor search engines including Google, Yahoo! and especially Bing look into the URLs. With having the search keyword in your URL you've way more chance of getting high listed in the search results.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:26 am

Erik Frèrejean wrote: If you find the bot list being incorrect you can always file a bug report on the matter ;).
That wasn't a criticism of phpBB, just a fact. My manage_bots script has some 510 bots in it not included in the phpBB official distribution. Should I submit them all as "bugs"? :shock: (True, a couple of bots in the list, like Baidu, may be incorrect now, but my script corrects those.)

Even the Bots list on phpBB.com has bots not in the distributed list. :)

Anyway, I think that we're digressing a bit here. I just wanted to explain how phpBB determined what a "search engine" was.

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:29 am

NintendoMii wrote:It has been proven that all the mayor search engines including Google, Yahoo! and especially Bing look into the URLs. With having the search keyword in your URL you've way more chance of getting high listed in the search results.
Let's presume that your first sentence has been proven. I haven't seen any proof of your second sentence.

I won't argue that keywords in the URL has zero effect, but I suspect that content and backlinks are both far more important than the URL format.

Steve

CaNNon_

Post by CaNNon_ » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:33 am

NintendoMii wrote:It has been proven that all the mayor search engines including Google, Yahoo! and especially Bing look into the URLs. With having the search keyword in your URL you've way more chance of getting high listed in the search results.
For sure, but the flip side is also true. ;)

I'd like to point out the bots also notice dynamic content.
With the use of word counts and such they establish key words and even will rank those higher that what you've selected.

You also need to consider DNS, example:
Someone searches for a new Nintendo. You own the php site notice the url's you think you'll have much chance ranking first?

PHPBB3/Nintendo/some.post
Nintendo/P=4&f=14.post

Point is if you need static content add it to the site... if you want to use dynamic content let the bot's know and they will handle it.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”