[Discuss] Introducing Forumatic - Managed phpBB Hosting

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
Christian 2.0
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Re: [Discuss] Introducing Forumatic - Managed phpBB Hosting

Post by Christian 2.0 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:06 am

Pony99CA wrote:Forumatic sounds like a turnkey solution for people who want a forum without having to do any major admin tasks.
See, this is where everything forumatic's marketing becoming a bit misleading. It suggests that unless you're hosted with forumatic, you're going to run into some problems running your board. Having been around phpBB for many years, it's clear to see that the more frequent support topics (other than basic "how do I?" questions) revolve around version updates. Specifically when more than a few MODs / Styles are involved.

Thing is, for a moderately sized board hosted on Forumatic, they aren't going to even be able to have more than a few MODs anyway, so the work required on forumatic's end would be minimal.

The Minecraft forum is an excellent example of a company that could have done with being hosted on forumatic business. Almost literally an over night success, their forum quickly racked up many millions of posts and tens of thousands of members. As such, they were causing a huge strain on their servers and were essentially kicked off (or encouraged) their original host. Since phpBB wouldn't, or couldn't sufficiently assist in reducing the strain at the time (this was over a year ago), they migrated to IPB.

This is where forumatic benefits large businesses who have special requirements. Otherwise in the majority of cases where people aren't likely to have more than ~100,000 posts and are quite capable of running on a shared host, it would be absurd to pay the gargantuan prices for forumatic whilst restricting your own options.

Since the topic of pricing has cropped up a few times already, I figured I'd mention that IPB's most expensive business plan is $85 cheaper than forumatic's most expensive business plan, whilst offering higher quotas and of course: a premium software and integrated blog, gallery, downloads, live chat, CMS and e-commerce store.

Oleg
Former Team Member

Post by Oleg » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:29 am

Did you just suggest starting a business with a total possible market of, what, 10 companies?
Participate in phpBB development: Get involved | Issue tracker | Report a bug | Development board | [url=irc://chat.freenode.net/phpbb-dev]Development IRC chat[/url]
My stuff: mindlinkgame.com

Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader
Name: Patrick Webster

Post by Noxwizard » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:52 am

Christian 2.0 wrote:Since phpBB wouldn't, or couldn't sufficiently assist in reducing the strain at the time (this was over a year ago), they migrated to IPB.
They never approached us about a problem, and when we approached them about the problems, they had already sold it to Curse. Curse just used a hacked up version of IPB that they use on their other sites. I believe the main issue was search, which Curse solved by truncating to the first 1k results. Last I checked, the search results aren't terribly accurate, so I assume their method took other shortcuts as well.
[Support Template] - [Read Before Posting] - [phpBB Knowledge Base]
Do not contact me for private support, please share the question in our forums.

Christian 2.0
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Post by Christian 2.0 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:54 pm

Oleg wrote:Did you just suggest starting a business with a total possible market of, what, 10 companies?
No, I didn't suggest that business model. What I essentially said was that other than version upgrades, phpBB is pretty effortless to run unless you have many millions of posts and 100,000 users.

@Nox: Thanks for the clarification.

BondGamer

Post by BondGamer » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:59 am

Forumatic should probably hide all references to the phpBB version they are running in the administration panels for security reasons. Someone could signup for the free service to find out and exploit it. I would also recommend figuring out another method of usage level besides "online users". If someone gets a prominent link one day and 100 people visit in the span of an hour, are they going to get locked out? It should go by monthly visitors or something. What if no one visits for 20 hours a day and for 4 hours they average 2 dozen.

Everyone reading and responding to this topic is not the target audience for this business. We all maintain our own forums. Formatic is obviously for companies and users who want nothing of what we do. They want their logo and their 2 forums with no hassle. If you think you can offer a better phpBB fully managed hosting solution, no one is stopping you.
My phpBB3 Mods: - None active =[

callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:14 am

BondGamer wrote:Forumatic should probably hide all references to the phpBB version they are running in the administration panels for security reasons. Someone could signup for the free service to find out and exploit it. I would also recommend figuring out another method of usage level besides "online users". If someone gets a prominent link one day and 100 people visit in the span of an hour, are they going to get locked out? It should go by monthly visitors or something. What if no one visits for 20 hours a day and for 4 hours they average 2 dozen.

Everyone reading and responding to this topic is not the target audience for this business. We all maintain our own forums. Formatic is obviously for companies and users who want nothing of what we do. They want their logo and their 2 forums with no hassle. If you think you can offer a better phpBB fully managed hosting solution, no one is stopping you.
I don't think that there is any need to hide the phpBB version - there are no exploits in older versions of phpBB, and even if there were, anyone who knew the exploits would know how to find the version without seeing the number.

It averages over a day (iirc), so the situation you mentioned would be fine.
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of

leedshippriest69

Post by leedshippriest69 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:52 pm

Hi guys

Does the term "users" within the pay plans relate to actual unique Users or are we talking hits ?

So for example if I log in on 10 individual occasions in one day, does this count as 10 Users ?

Likewise if i remain logged in but inactive for a five hour period, does this count as 1 User or 5 Users ?

Or would it be safe to assume that my laptop/mobiles IP address would be counted and identified, so in both the above scenarios, I would count as a maximum of 2 Users (laptop/mobile) ?

Cheers

leedshippriest69

Post by leedshippriest69 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:00 pm

Two more question guys, our Forum is currently down, I can currently log in but do nothing.

I can only access and post via Tapatalk.

So my questions are

1. If I come on board with Forumatic how could I export from my old host all my old posts/Users ?

2. Will Tapatalk work with Forumatic ?

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:05 pm

Hi,

As per above, specific questions about Forumatic would best be asked in the support forum on support.forumatic.com

Please see the plan clarification section for a detailed breakdown. Logging in and out from a single IP will not count as multiple users. Likewise, logging in from multiple computers/IPs during different parts of the day (like going from home to work to home) will not count as multiple users since the calculations are performed over a 24 hour period. These are all soft limits (there's no mechanism that disables forums automatically) and we're still tweaking the numbers to make sure they're fair.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:12 pm

leedshippriest69 wrote:1. If I come on board with Forumatic how could I export from my old host all my old posts/Users ?
There is a guide for this here: https://www.forumatic.com/features/import/
leedshippriest69 wrote:2. Will Tapatalk work with Forumatic ?
Tapatalk is being added and will be available shortly.

As per above, we would appreciate it if questions were asked in the Forumatic support forum so that others can find them later :)
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

BondGamer

Post by BondGamer » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:33 pm

callumacrae wrote:I don't think that there is any need to hide the phpBB version - there are no exploits in older versions of phpBB, and even if there were, anyone who knew the exploits would know how to find the version without seeing the number.
Forumatic is running development versions which are not as thoroughly tested as release versions. If someone posts a bug report for an exploit in the development version and Forumatic has not yet updated, someone could potentially take advantage of it.

It is a remote possibility. But I thought I would point it out anyway.
My phpBB3 Mods: - None active =[

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:54 pm

BondGamer wrote:Forumatic should probably hide all references to the phpBB version they are running in the administration panels for security reasons.
They already do that. You should sign up an account and take a look around. I did that over a week ago.
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog

MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:00 pm

Dog Cow wrote:
BondGamer wrote:Forumatic should probably hide all references to the phpBB version they are running in the administration panels for security reasons.
They already do that. You should sign up an account and take a look around. I did that over a week ago.
He was referring to the version mentioned in the admin logs. ;)
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss.
Formerly Website Team Lead/Manager & Development Team.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free

FoFa
Name: Daniel L.

Post by FoFa » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:21 pm

Unknown Bliss wrote:He was referring to the version mentioned in the admin logs. ;)
Already done

When going to logs, I have:
Installation de phpBB Forumatic Special Edition
Formly ForumsFaciles :wink:

IPlasma

Re: Why there isnt atleast beta version of 3.1??

Post by IPlasma » Wed May 23, 2012 8:54 pm

wGEric wrote:
MarkTheDaemon wrote:I'm interested in the relationship between Forumatic and the phpBB software
I would like to know this as well since it appears to be a separate business that Nils and Yuriy are running and has no relationship to phpBB Ltd. If it is under the phpBB Ltd umbrella then why isn't that obvious?
Sorry for the bump, I also have a huge issue with this, I have been involved in PhpBB since a while, not for coding ( I don't have a clue how to code) but with translations in French and I have been away for a while but posting a PAID annoucement on phbb.com, come on... I remembered TheFinn being the creator of PhpBB, WGEric being the Mod Team Leader and Acyd Burn being the lead developper, guys you are on an open source project, add paid stuff in your sigs, not as announcements.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”