Email Spams

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
IronDogg

Email Spams

Post by IronDogg »

Anyone else being bombarded with spam emails from what appears to be some kind of phpbb3 related ticket support email list? So far this morning, I've had about 60 mails from people who are "replying to all" including the server that does the email forwarding or bouncing or whatever, that are all saying remove me from your list et al. Some email responses in the spam suggest it has come from the ticket support system here, but I am not so sure...

Anyway, "plus one" here if you are receiving these spams today... :(

A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Re: Email Spams

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

This particular spammer has been bothering phpBB users for probably three years. The mailing list software seems to be new. Yeah, I've got them too.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish

stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy »

I'll say one thing, he's peristent -.-
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

IronDogg wrote:Anyone else being bombarded with spam emails from what appears to be some kind of phpbb3 related ticket support email list?
It take it that you haven't seen (or at least clicked) the Scam Warning mini-ad (those little ad-like boxes on the upper right of the board). ;)

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Ishimaru Chiaki
Name: Caroline

Post by Ishimaru Chiaki »

Yes, I had the same e-mail today.
Here's a screenshot : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25752921/new-ph ... merged.png
Find my phpBB3 and GIMP tutorials on http://ishimaru.pingveno.net (New address)
My DeviantArt gallery

IronDogg

Post by IronDogg »

Pony99CA wrote:It take it that you haven't seen (or at least clicked) the Scam Warning mini-ad (those little ad-like boxes on the upper right of the board). ;)
LOL, Actually I have read the thread you link to before, but I think this is the first time I have clicked on the little "ad" link above to take me there... lol, :) I guess I must somehow block out "ads" on pages to the point where I don't even see them anymore... Thanks for making me aware of those little ads; btw, is that a "mod" that anyone can get? I like the style of that little ad.

Anyway, I was wondering if these emails are from a different source? They are not really the typical phpbb upgrade help email, but moreso some kind of ticket support feedback system or something? Maybe the same source, not sure, but this string of emails yesterday was the first that I had seen of that style. Exactly as the image the poster above posted. There was just a non stop bombardment of emails over a course of about an hour or maybe more, then they ended shortly after the time I posted this thread yesterday. It seemed like whomever had the support ticket email sent to them, replied back to say "remove me from the list", then everyone on the list also got that response from each recipient...

MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC »

IronDogg wrote:LOL, Actually I have read the thread you link to before, but I think this is the first time I have clicked on the little "ad" link above to take me there... lol, :) I guess I must somehow block out "ads" on pages to the point where I don't even see them anymore... Thanks for making me aware of those little ads; btw, is that a "mod" that anyone can get? I like the style of that little ad.
This website uses almost all custom code and I'm afraid we don't release the code for this website. However this MOD (although not the same) will allow you to add advertisements to your board.
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss.
Formerly Website Team Lead/Manager & Development Team.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Yes, what you are experiencing is happening to others. It is due to a combination of new mailing software and the misuse of "Reply to all".
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”