Which mod is the most reliable for SEO ?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
eddd

Which mod is the most reliable for SEO ?

Post by eddd » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:11 am

anyone know any SEO mod for 3.0.10 that work without any problem ?

I wonder why phpbb does not include this feature as it is important

tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Re: Which mod is the most reliable for SEO ?

Post by tbackoff » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:28 am

eddd wrote:I wonder why phpbb does not include this feature as it is important
Important to who? phpBB (by default) has no problems being indexed/crawled, making SEO irrelevant. This discussion has cropped up numerous times and the arguments/points made are always the same.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.

eddd

Post by eddd » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:38 am

t_backoff wrote:
Important to who? phpBB (by default) has no problems being indexed/crawled, making SEO irrelevant. This discussion has cropped up numerous times and the arguments/points made are always the same.
Try to imagine this , your first page title appear on your users browser as "viewtopic....." . do you think that is something suppose to happen ?

/a3

Post by /a3 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:32 am

This may be of interest to you:

[RFC|Merged] Optimized Page Titles patch
$ git commit -m "YOLO"

Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:10 am

The whole 'phpbb has no problems' deal is true, for any website too, if it's been online for over a decade.

tbackoff
Former Team Member

Post by tbackoff » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:49 am

Peter77sx wrote:The whole 'phpbb has no problems' deal is true, for any website too, if it's been online for over a decade.
This is totally untrue. I've seen it in the past where I would put up an install of phpBB and Google/MSN/Yahoo would be crawling the board before I have it configured to my liking. Just because your board doesn't show up on page 1 doesn't mean it isn't crawled.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:44 pm

The relevance of tenure relates to page ranking in the sense that more relevant content usually means a higher page rank. But there is nothing about about SEO that will make the crawling of a phpBB board earlier, faster or better.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae » Tue May 01, 2012 5:43 am

eddd wrote:
t_backoff wrote:
Try to imagine this , your first page title appear on your users browser as "viewtopic....." . do you think that is something suppose to happen ?
That isn't SEO, that's pretty URLs :S

That won't do a thing to your search engine rankings, and anyone who suggests otherwise really wants you to install their mod!
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of

laceygirl

Post by laceygirl » Tue May 01, 2012 10:17 pm

That is probably the worst thing I've heard in my life regarding SEO.
I don't know how to say it without offending you....Oh well.

SEO and search engine indexing is not seo.
SEO means "Search engine optimizing".
Being listed in google(because phpbb was crawled) does not mean its good for SEO.
SEO is by doing a lot of things to INCREASE the RANKINGS. Not be listed. Every website, every page in the world online will automatically be crawled and listed unless you modify the robots file(if you have one) to not crawl.
That isn't SEO, that's pretty URLs :S
That won't do a thing to your search engine rankings, and anyone who suggests otherwise really wants you to install their mod!
No, that is actually one out of millions of things that help SEO. The crawler reads website titles, alt titles, metatag, and a million other things. This is how it determines where to rank you for keywords that people search using google.
Using optimized urls helps a bit. The google bot considers http://www.example.com/394343434/3243243 less relivant than http://www.example.com/fan-forum/topic= ... ieber-died
It reads it and considers to rank you higher.
The whole 'phpbb has no problems' deal is true, for any website too, if it's been online for over a decade.
What on earth is this guy saying? lol.
Question: How do I make my car more faster with performance?
Answer: It's as fast as it can be because when you turn the key on its running.

Seriously, that's an example of what you basically said. ;)
The relevance of tenure relates to page ranking in the sense that more relevant content usually means a higher page rank. But there is nothing about about SEO that will make the crawling of a phpBB board earlier, faster or better.
No, google pagerank is a site value rating by google. It does not effect your SERPS(search engine position). You obtain higher PR by relevant backlinks(links from other sites going to yours), but it doesn't effect where you are in the search.

And yes you can control the crawling rate of the google bot anytime you want. Its called a metatag:
<META NAME="revisit-after" CONTENT="7 days">
My styles available for download:
Proskygray - Alpha - 0mega

tbackoff
Former Team Member

Post by tbackoff » Tue May 01, 2012 10:35 pm

laceygirl wrote:
That is probably the worst thing I've heard in my life regarding SEO.
I don't know how to say it without offending you....Oh well.

SEO and search engine indexing is not seo.
SEO means "Search engine optimizing".
Being listed in google(because phpbb was crawled) does not mean its good for SEO.
SEO is by doing a lot of things to INCREASE the RANKINGS. Not be listed. Every website, every page in the world online will automatically be crawled and listed unless you modify the robots file(if you have one) to not crawl.
Let me rephrase that. People seem to believe that if their links look like this: http://www.phpbb.com/community/topic/2155333-which-mod-is-the-most-reliable-for-seo.html, then their site is SEO optimized. This is untrue. Here are three Google documents, all related to SEO, and nowhere does it say that such URLs help your ranking or make your site SEO.

Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
Webmaster Guidelines - Best practices
Google Basics - Crawling and Indexing

So, I'll restate my point: phpBB does not need such "SEO" features - it's fine the way it is.

laceygirl

Post by laceygirl » Tue May 01, 2012 10:42 pm

So you don't believe that changing your normally generated forum urls into search engine friendly urls doesn't do anything.
Meh, makes sense. I think they do but I don't think that making a sitemap.xml file does anything good for seo, and other believe it does.

tbackoff
Former Team Member

Post by tbackoff » Tue May 01, 2012 10:50 pm

laceygirl wrote:So you don't believe that changing your normally generated forum urls into search engine friendly urls doesn't do anything.
According to Google (arguably, the "de facto"), no, they don't. :)
laceygirl wrote:I don't think that making a sitemap.xml file does anything good for seo
We agree!

If your site has good content, that's all the SEO you really need. All the other stuff is just fluff.

laceygirl

Post by laceygirl » Tue May 01, 2012 11:08 pm

We agree!
If your site has good content, that's all the SEO you really need. All the other stuff is just fluff.
We don't. that is the worst advice to give to people in the world. SEO is the only way to obtain more traffic from search engines.

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow » Tue May 01, 2012 11:19 pm

t_backoff wrote:This is untrue. Here are three Google documents, all related to SEO, and nowhere does it say that such URLs help your ranking or make your site SEO.

So, I'll restate my point: phpBB does not need such "SEO" features - it's fine the way it is.
Of course Google will list every way of making your site rank well in their index. :roll:
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog

drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun » Wed May 02, 2012 12:00 am

laceygirl wrote:SEO is the only way to obtain more traffic from search engines.
In my opinion, that's really not a fair statement.

Google is constantly changing their algorithms, because when someone figures one thing out and starts to abuse it Google adjusts to prevent abuse, and so on. What works for SEO today may or may not work tomorrow. But the content remains the same, and that's truly where the value lies. I believe that phpBB boards are inherently harder to rank for content because everything becomes naturally more fragmented. Blogs or other content sites are far easier (and therefore more worthwhile) to optimize, but even at that there are a few basic steps that can be taken that are reliable and proven strategies that have not become less relevant over time due to Google's adjustments. Content is king, always has been, and always will be. Whatever wrappers SEO folks come up with are likely to work today and not work tomorrow, or worse, be penalized tomorrow. Case in point: Google used to reward links back to your site and use it to place your site higher in search results. So people entered their site into every directory they could find, and link farms were born. Google realized that link farms provided no value, so they first discounted and later penalized sites that implemented those techniques. I venture to say that this "dance" as they call it will go on for quite some time.

So, do you want to waste time searching for the current magic bullet and hack your site to conform to the current SEO "standards" or should you instead focus on generating good solid and unique content that people will want to use?

For these and other reasons I subscribe to the opinion that phpBB boards do NOT need any special search engine techniques or MODs.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details

Return to “phpBB Discussion”