how to make seo friendly urls

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Re: how to make seo friendly urls

Post by Marshalrusty »

loadingjkr wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:15 am
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:12 am sorry but you have no idea what you are talking about.

google has said for a long time that friendly/SEO urls make very little difference to the SERPS.

some people may like them better but it makes little if any difference to the search engines.
the fact that wordpress gives you the option means nothing.

robert
¿Usted espera que alguien le dé el secreto del éxito?
Aquí trabajamos diaramente con Semrush, Moz, Ahrefs, Majestic SEO. Si usted no utiliza estas herramientas usted no debería de hablar de SEO.Es muy fácil posicionar un sitio en Wordpress es muy difícil posicionar un foro en phpbb3 por su naturaleza.

You do not know anything about SEO and hope that google will give you secrets of your algorithm.

You're comparing static content with dynamic content. For something that doesn't change, it's very easy to use keywords in the title. If you search for things that are primarily static, then you'll get sites with the keywords in the URL.

On the other hand, say we want to find stuff on twitter: https://www.google.com/search?q=best+wi ... witter.com

You'll note that Google has absolutely no problem indexing tweets, despite no useful keywords in the URL. In fact, Google doesn't care your keywords; their algorithms have gotten significantly more sophisticated over the years due to abuse by "optimizers". So if you want the subject line in the URL, by all means, make it happen, but don't be surprised if you experience zero improvement in your ranking.
🇺🇦 Made in Ukraine, exported to the USA 🇺🇸

Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
loadingjkr

Post by loadingjkr »

Marshalrusty wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:01 am
loadingjkr wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:15 am
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:12 am sorry but you have no idea what you are talking about.

google has said for a long time that friendly/SEO urls make very little difference to the SERPS.

some people may like them better but it makes little if any difference to the search engines.
the fact that wordpress gives you the option means nothing.

robert
¿Usted espera que alguien le dé el secreto del éxito?
Aquí trabajamos diaramente con Semrush, Moz, Ahrefs, Majestic SEO. Si usted no utiliza estas herramientas usted no debería de hablar de SEO.Es muy fácil posicionar un sitio en Wordpress es muy difícil posicionar un foro en phpbb3 por su naturaleza.

You do not know anything about SEO and hope that google will give you secrets of your algorithm.

You're comparing static content with dynamic content. For something that doesn't change, it's very easy to use keywords in the title. If you search for things that are primarily static, then you'll get sites with the keywords in the URL.

On the other hand, say we want to find stuff on twitter: https://www.google.com/search?q=best+wi ... witter.com

You'll note that Google has absolutely no problem indexing tweets, despite no useful keywords in the URL. In fact, Google doesn't care your keywords; their algorithms have gotten significantly more sophisticated over the years due to abuse by "optimizers". So if you want the subject line in the URL, by all means, make it happen, but don't be surprised if you experience zero improvement in your ranking.

Site, inurl, intitle .. are google bypass https://www.exploit-db.com/google-hacking-database/ searches that result from a lower traffic algorithm when using those commands.

The user makes this type of searches
koraldon

Post by koraldon »

Marshalrusty wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:01 am You're comparing static content with dynamic content. For something that doesn't change, it's very easy to use keywords in the title. If you search for things that are primarily static, then you'll get sites with the keywords in the URL.
99.8% of the 600K+ posts on my forum are completly static... I think that maybe 50 topics or so get an update weekly. At top 100. And almost all of them have informative titles - this is one of our rules (hate titles like "look, something kewl!")
Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

loadingjkr, you do know that phpbb3 uses microdata breadcrumb for breadcrumb url navigation?

As ugly as the phpbb URL looks to us humans, the readable breadcrumbs in search results are fabulous.
loadingjkr

Post by loadingjkr »

Which team dominates the SEO market?

PHPBB3.2
★★★☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

PHPBB3.0 + PHPBB3 SEO
★★★★★★★☆☆☆

XenForo
★★★★★★★★☆☆

Vbulletin v4 + DragonByte SEO
★★★★★★★☆☆☆

Wordpress + Yoast SEO
★★★★★★★★★★

Phpbb 3.2 ¿What?
Example Poor seo

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty »

If you want me to take you seriously, you're going to have to post fewer unicode stars and more references to stats or at least authorities that are qualified to speak on the subject and support the position you're trying to push.

If we assume that you've convinced me that SEO friendly URLs are a good idea, I need to know what to optimize for as it's surely not just a matter of sticking some random words into the URL.
🇺🇦 Made in Ukraine, exported to the USA 🇺🇸

Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
Marc
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader
Name: Marc

Post by Marc »

I'd like to point out that one of the pull requests that is in works for phpBB 3.3 is actually removing the default entry points like viewtopic.php and replacing them with symfony's http kernel:
https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/4146

That will also result in a different URL structure. ;)
sookie

Post by sookie »

Marc wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:58 am I'd like to point out that one of the pull requests that is in works for phpBB 3.3 is actually removing the default entry points like viewtopic.php and replacing them with symfony's http kernel:
https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/4146

That will also result in a different URL structure. ;)

I seriously hope this means pretty seo urls will be the default with a 301 from viewtopic.php

The number of clueless people on this forum arguing that keywords in urls are useless are astonishing. As someone who did SEO work for pay for a long time, you people frankly dont have a clue what you are talking about. Proper keywords in the url is one of the bigger google ranking factors, and im not gonna do a 20 page write up proving it, any SEO worth his salt knows this. Lots of seo experiments have been done on this, just google it.

And for gods sake, please stop asserting that because google indexes everything on your phpbb forum that it somehow proves urls dont matter.

Getting indexed and being ranked well are two completely different things. The ignorance here is astonishing.
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

I did a quick run over of this thread and I didn't see this mentioned... (if it has been mentioned, ignore this post!)

There IS currently a solution to this... It isn't compatible with every extension, but I haven't run into problems with it and my clients love it. Pair it with the SEO meta extension and it makes phpbb much more seo friendly. Latest version does support 3.2 despite what the readme says.

https://tas2580.net/downloads/phpbb-seo-url/
https://github.com/tas2580/seourls

(same extension).

Even though it's incomplete, I haven't had any problems with it. Maybe when it's more fleshed out, there can be a PR for it on the github. To be honest, phpbb isn't very seo friendly. Whether or not the seo URLs have a big impact on Google or not, to me, it makes the board look much more modern/professional. Every little bit of seo helps. I don't see why something like this, in 2017, isn't considered. Having this kind of stuff makes phpbb much more competitive to other forum software. If there are enough options/settings/extensions available, phpbb can save people money as they won't go with paid forum software alternatives.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

loadingjkr wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:58 amWhich team dominates the SEO market?
You forgot to mention IPB ;)
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension

Return to “phpBB Discussion”