SEO - Obsolete?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
Yohan543
Registered User
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:40 am

Re: SEO - Obsolete?

Post by Yohan543 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:49 am

SEO still exists, it’s not obsolete. It is still the best source to build traffic and businesses. It still helps many website owners to get the top slots in the search results of popular search engines.

User avatar
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Posts: 2662
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: London, UK
Name: Callum Macrae
Contact:

Re: SEO - Obsolete?

Post by callumacrae » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:23 pm

Yohan543 wrote:SEO still exists, it’s not obsolete. It is still the best source to build traffic and businesses. It still helps many website owners to get the top slots in the search results of popular search engines.
Writing better content would help more, no?
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of

User avatar
drathbun
Former Team Member
Posts: 12204
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2002 3:51 pm
Location: TOPICS_TABLE
Contact:

Re: SEO - Obsolete?

Post by drathbun » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:04 pm

It would be nice if some day Google (et al) had sophisticated enough algorithms to weight content above and beyond everything else... that way folks could spend time actually making worthwhile sites instead of trying to understand the latest twists and turns in the SEO update cycle...
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
Image

User avatar
Lumpy Burgertushie
Registered User
Posts: 66479
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 3:11 am
Contact:

Re: SEO - Obsolete?

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:49 pm

also, unless you are trying to make money from your site, worrying so much about SEO is really a waste of time.

everyone wants their site to be popular but spending so much time and effort with all the latest SEO tricks won't get your site as popular as simply providing a site based on info that many people care about and making sure that you provide quality content about your subject matter and lots of it.

also, search engines will index your site no matter what you do.


robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

abrakadava
Registered User
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:22 am

Re: SEO - Obsolete?

Post by abrakadava » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:45 pm

This is a completely ridiculous thread. SEO is nowhere near obsolete. Will it look different in 2015 than it does today? Yes. Will the SERPs be perfect and free of spam? Lmfao Yeah, I'm sure they'll be totally spam-free. :roll:

People will continue to game Google (successfully) as long as Google exists and people continue to use it.

This kind of nonsense is why so many of the fourms with the highest traffic on the internet don't use phpbb. The devs need to ignore this garbage and make SEO a higher priority if they want to continue to grow the platform...

User avatar
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Posts: 7022
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:41 am
Location: cheerleading practice
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Re: SEO - Obsolete?

Post by tbackoff » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:49 pm

abrakadava wrote:This kind of nonsense is why so many of the fourms with the highest traffic on the internet don't use phpbb. The devs need to ignore this garbage and make SEO a higher priority if they want to continue to grow the platform...
Emphasis mine

I'm not sure what to tell you here. A normal (vanilla) install of phpBB is more search engine friendly than you think. For example, this board has no problem being indexed by Google, Yahoo, etc. Are you one that if topic titles are not part of the URL, then you scream that such-and-such software is not SEO? :?
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.

abrakadava
Registered User
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:22 am

Re: SEO - Obsolete?

Post by abrakadava » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:47 pm

t_backoff wrote:
abrakadava wrote:This kind of nonsense is why so many of the fourms with the highest traffic on the internet don't use phpbb. The devs need to ignore this garbage and make SEO a higher priority if they want to continue to grow the platform...
Emphasis mine

I'm not sure what to tell you here. A normal (vanilla) install of phpBB is more search engine friendly than you think. For example, this board has no problem being indexed by Google, Yahoo, etc. Are you one that if topic titles are not part of the URL, then you scream that such-and-such software is not SEO? :?
Being in the index and being able to rank on page one for something meaningful that will actually send relevant traffic to your website are two completely different things. If the developers of phpbb want to make sure it can continue to compete against other platforms, SEO best practices need to be integrated at the core level at least somewhat.

One of the reasons WordPress has become the dominant CMS on the web today is because it is extremely easy to optimize on-page SEO on their platform. People running WordPress can attract visitors to their websites with less effort versus other platforms. This is partly because of the easy extendability and some very good plugins, but it is also because they have taken basic SEO into account at the core level. Clean permalinks, built-in RSS feeds, clean, easily-modified page titles, etc.

Even if you think that I'm totally wrong and that it's all a bunch of worthless BS, it really doesn't matter. Competing platforms are making SEO a priority and if they are doing something that phpbb can't/won't, phpbb will lose ground. People who DO believe that SEO is important will move to a different platform because they see a benefit, it's as simple as that.

User avatar
/a3
Registered User
Posts: 411
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:08 am
Location: /dev/random

Re: SEO - Obsolete?

Post by /a3 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:28 am

abrakadava wrote:Being in the index and being able to rank on page one for something meaningful that will actually send relevant traffic to your website are two completely different things. If the developers of phpbb want to make sure it can continue to compete against other platforms, SEO best practices need to be integrated at the core level at least somewhat.
Can you explain "SEO best practices" please? That's a very vague term.

Also, I personally think phpBB should be "optimised" for being used as a forum.
abrakadava wrote: phpbb will lose ground.
The ultimate goal should be making phpBB better quality and more useful to people, not more popular.
abrakadava wrote:One of the reasons WordPress has become the dominant CMS on the web today is because it is extremely easy to optimize on-page SEO on their platform.
That is highly doubtful. :|
$ git commit -m "YOLO"

Pony99CA
Registered User
Posts: 4783
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: Hollister, CA
Name: Steve
Contact:

Re: SEO - Obsolete?

Post by Pony99CA » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:08 am

abrakadava wrote:This is a completely ridiculous thread. SEO is nowhere near obsolete. Will it look different in 2015 than it does today? Yes. Will the SERPs be perfect and free of spam? Lmfao Yeah, I'm sure they'll be totally spam-free. :roll:
So, Mr. One-Post, what is "ridiculous"? I think that most of us said basically what you said, didn't we?

Also remember that this is a discussion topic, and the OP wanted to discuss that article. I think that he picked an intentionally provocative title to catch people's attention. It apparently caught the attention of at least one troll, too.
abrakadava wrote:This kind of nonsense is why so many of the fourms with the highest traffic on the internet don't use phpbb.
So discussion started by somebody who isn't a team member (as far as I know) is one reason why those sites don't use phpBB? Your logic seems flawed.
abrakadava wrote:The devs need to ignore this garbage and make SEO a higher priority if they want to continue to grow the platform...
I'm sure that your opinion will be given its due weight. :twisted:

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

abrakadava
Registered User
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:22 am

Re: SEO - Obsolete?

Post by abrakadava » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:39 am

/a3 wrote:
abrakadava wrote:Being in the index and being able to rank on page one for something meaningful that will actually send relevant traffic to your website are two completely different things. If the developers of phpbb want to make sure it can continue to compete against other platforms, SEO best practices need to be integrated at the core level at least somewhat.
Can you explain "SEO best practices" please? That's a very vague term.

Also, I personally think phpBB should be "optimised" for being used as a forum.
abrakadava wrote: phpbb will lose ground.
The ultimate goal should be making phpBB better quality and more useful to people, not more popular.
abrakadava wrote:One of the reasons WordPress has become the dominant CMS on the web today is because it is extremely easy to optimize on-page SEO on their platform.
That is highly doubtful. :|
You want me to define SEO best practices for you? Are you unable to use Google? I think I'm starting to see why SEO is disregarded around here... Here's some info to get you started: http://www.seomoz.org/learn-seo/on-page-factors

Could you please explain how making phpbb more search-engine-friendly and more popular does not achieve the goal of increasing quality and usability?

A forum is pretty useless without users and visitors. Most people who start forums do so because they'd like to create a community of some kind. It stands to reason that they would want to achieve the highest possible rankings for search phrases related to their forum. Making that easier out of the box seems to be in line with what you think the goals of phpbb should be...

Pony99CA
Registered User
Posts: 4783
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: Hollister, CA
Name: Steve
Contact:

Re: SEO - Obsolete?

Post by Pony99CA » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:21 am

abrakadava wrote:You want me to define SEO best practices for you? Are you unable to use Google? I think I'm starting to see why SEO is disregarded around here... Here's some info to get you started: http://www.seomoz.org/learn-seo/on-page-factors
How about you define what best practices phpBB needs to implement in order of importance? That article said that content is king, and the phpBB software obviously has no control of that on the "useful" pages. It said the TITLE tag was the second most important item, and the Subject of a topic is included in the title (albeit not at the beginning). So what would give phpBB the best payback?

Once you've done that, can you give an estimate of how much each of those improvements will improve the SERP of a page?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

abrakadava
Registered User
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:22 am

Re: SEO - Obsolete?

Post by abrakadava » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:27 am

Pony99CA wrote:
abrakadava wrote:You want me to define SEO best practices for you? Are you unable to use Google? I think I'm starting to see why SEO is disregarded around here... Here's some info to get you started: http://www.seomoz.org/learn-seo/on-page-factors
How about you define what best practices phpBB needs to implement in order of importance? That article said that content is king, and the phpBB software obviously has no control of that on the "useful" pages. It said the TITLE tag was the second most important item, and the Subject of a topic is included in the title (albeit not at the beginning). So what would give phpBB the best payback?

Once you've done that, can you give an estimate of how much each of those improvements will improve the SERP of a page?

Steve
I think it's pretty clear that the most glaring problem with phpbb is the lack of search-friendly/human-readable URLS out of the box. I honestly can't believe that it is even being argued. It is a basic function of almost all modern web software and should be implemented immediately.

Having me outline everything SEO-related that should be included in the core of phpBB in this thread doesn't really seem productive, especially since the general view appears to be that my opinion is worthless because I don't have a high post count...

User avatar
/a3
Registered User
Posts: 411
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:08 am
Location: /dev/random

Re: SEO - Obsolete?

Post by /a3 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:40 am

abrakadava wrote:I think it's pretty clear that the most glaring problem with phpbb is the lack of search-friendly/human-readable URLS out of the box. I honestly can't believe that it is even being argued. It is a basic function of almost all modern web software and should be implemented immediately.
Unfortunately a lot of the suggestions for "search friendly" URLs have been leaving the topic ID in them, which is kind of self-defeating (the URL ends up being longer and still with a topic ID in it).
abrakadava wrote:You want me to define SEO best practices for you? Are you unable to use Google?
abrakadava wrote:my opinion is worthless because I don't have a high post count...
Maybe because SEO has already been argued to death? Surely you would have realised that, if you use search on phpBB.com. ;) By the way, I have read about SEO many times over the past few years, and I wasn't looking for a definition of SEO. I was looking for your suggestions for SEO in phpBB. Which were non-existent, until your post 10 minutes ago.
abradadava wrote:It stands to reason that they would want to achieve the highest possible rankings for search phrases related to their forum.
Are you saying that search engines aren't able to discover content on phpBB forums correctly?
$ git commit -m "YOLO"

abrakadava
Registered User
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:22 am

Re: SEO - Obsolete?

Post by abrakadava » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:40 am

/a3 wrote:
abrakadava wrote:I think it's pretty clear that the most glaring problem with phpbb is the lack of search-friendly/human-readable URLS out of the box. I honestly can't believe that it is even being argued. It is a basic function of almost all modern web software and should be implemented immediately.
Unfortunately a lot of the suggestions for "search friendly" URLs have been leaving the topic ID in them, which is kind of self-defeating (the URL ends up being longer and still with a topic ID in it).
abrakadava wrote:You want me to define SEO best practices for you? Are you unable to use Google?
abrakadava wrote:my opinion is worthless because I don't have a high post count...
Maybe because SEO has already been argued to death? Surely you would have realised that, if you use search on phpBB.com. ;) By the way, I have read about SEO many times over the past few years, and I wasn't looking for a definition of SEO. I was looking for your suggestions for SEO in phpBB. Which were non-existent, until your post 10 minutes ago.
abradadava wrote:It stands to reason that they would want to achieve the highest possible rankings for search phrases related to their forum.
Are you saying that search engines aren't able to discover content on phpBB forums correctly?
I'm saying that if someone searches "cool posts about interesting stuff" Google is going to rank a forum post with the url

http://mydomain.com/cool-post-about-interesting-stuff

higher than

http://mydomain.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2157826

Given that other factors are the same, the top URL will win. Sometimes the top URL will win even when content on the second page is "better" or more linked-to. Even if the URL needs to have some other identifier for phpBB such as the post ID, date, or some other method as long as it is kept to a minimum, the keyword rich URL is much more desirable.

For the record I'm aware that SEO has been beaten to death here and everywhere else on the planet. That's part of the reason why I'm surprised that this issue hasn't already been dealt with...

User avatar
Jessica
Former Team Member
Posts: 4342
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:53 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Name: Jessica
Contact:

Re: SEO - Obsolete?

Post by Jessica » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:08 am

abrakadava wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:
abrakadava wrote:You want me to define SEO best practices for you? Are you unable to use Google? I think I'm starting to see why SEO is disregarded around here... Here's some info to get you started: http://www.seomoz.org/learn-seo/on-page-factors
How about you define what best practices phpBB needs to implement in order of importance? That article said that content is king, and the phpBB software obviously has no control of that on the "useful" pages. It said the TITLE tag was the second most important item, and the Subject of a topic is included in the title (albeit not at the beginning). So what would give phpBB the best payback?

Once you've done that, can you give an estimate of how much each of those improvements will improve the SERP of a page?

Steve
I think it's pretty clear that the most glaring problem with phpbb is the lack of search-friendly/human-readable URLS out of the box. I honestly can't believe that it is even being argued. It is a basic function of almost all modern web software and should be implemented immediately.

Having me outline everything SEO-related that should be included in the core of phpBB in this thread doesn't really seem productive, especially since the general view appears to be that my opinion is worthless because I don't have a high post count...
I disagree. I don't like SEO. I'm fine with the topic urls having ids, not the name of the topic title.
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

Post Reply

Return to “phpBB Discussion”

cron