prosilver image buttons

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
darksminky

prosilver image buttons

Post by darksminky »

alright, we all know that prosilver has buttons made of images (like the reply button) but why?
They're harder to create, translate, and I personally think they look out of place, as we use half them and half button1's, so why don't we just drop that whole idea and make our boards easier to translate and more consistent?

Tah Zonemaster
Name: Robert

Re: prosilver image buttons

Post by Tah Zonemaster »

Hello there,

I'm not sure, but in 3.1, the such buttons have been replaced with CSS. :)

_Vinny_
Style Customisations
Style Customisations
Name: Marcus Vinicius

Post by _Vinny_ »

darksminky wrote:They're harder to create, translate
No and no. Have you tried the prosilver Graphics Development Kit ?
I'm a translator and I see no problem with it, and I believe the other translators thinks the same.(please, correct me if I'm wrong. :roll: )
darksminky wrote:so why don't we just drop that whole idea and make our boards easier to translate and more consistent?
And ... What would your solution to this?

Tah Zonemaster wrote:I'm not sure, but in 3.1, the such buttons have been replaced with CSS.
At the moment has not been replaced.

darksminky

Post by darksminky »

Well, Vinny, you can either just tack on a word or two into the common, or you can make a button image. Not everyone knows about prosilver graphics kit. . .
I for one, find the CSS buttons much easier, as I haven't had any experience with the button automakers, and shouldn't we be looking to have less a leap to learn the nuances as a part of improving our API?

My solution to this is to just use the CSS button system instead of images. Also, from a modding point of view, nobody has to worry about colors of the button, as it's predefined in the style. Few mods have the buttons, because making a new batch of images for every color scheme is tedious, and using the CSS buttons ensures that you won't have to localise your button information. I, among others, have stopped using those image-buttons at all. on an older style I had made (I abandoned it though, it was ridden with tables and inline styles.)
, I had removed all of these image buttons, because of the annoying inconsistency. . .

Google translate's problem with image buttons:
transproblem.png
transproblem.png (180.31 KiB) Viewed 1079 times
do you see what I mean now a little bit?
the CSS buttons translate just fine, the image button splits into three and breaks the layout.

tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff »

darksminky wrote:Also, from a modding point of view, nobody has to worry about colors of the button, as it's predefined in the style. Few mods have the buttons, because making a new batch of images for every color scheme is tedious, and using the CSS buttons ensures that you won't have to localise your button information.
MOD policy states that only prosilver and en instructions need to be included in MODs. ;)
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.

darksminky

Post by darksminky »

true, but about half of boards are using a recolored prosilver, such as lucid lime, et cetera, and those image buttons look out of place, few people use prosilver when they can change it up. Subsilver2 too
(lol for redundancy), has that problem even though it's not required. I, for one, believe in supplying support to as many styles and setups as I can, to distribute better, and to further the joy of phpBB users. If we only did what was required, every mod would be really, really minimal. . .

That also doesn't fix the google translate problem above. Lotsa folks use Google translator. . .

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

So do as you wish. That's the beauty of Open Source.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Besides the translation problem, buttons require two images -- unpressed and pressed. With CSS, you can use the :hover and :active attributes to give more information.

However, you'll still be stuck with images for some things, like topic images, so you'll still need to recolor those for different styles/themes. But the fewer image buttons we have, the better.
stevemaury wrote:So do as you wish. That's the beauty of Open Source.
That misses the point. The defaault phpBB should make things as easy as possible, and CSS buttons do that. If somebody wants image buttons, let them do it.

Steve
Last edited by Pony99CA on Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

DionDesigns

Post by DionDesigns »

The image-based "text" buttons in phpBB3 are holdovers from the original phpBB product and should have disappeared long ago in favor of CSS-styled text-based buttons.

It's easy to replace the image-based buttons with text-based buttons. Here's one example. In the Prosilver viewforum_body.html template, you will find this:

Code: Select all

<!-- IF not S_IS_BOT and S_DISPLAY_POST_INFO -->
		<div class="buttons">
			<div class="<!-- IF S_IS_LOCKED -->locked-icon<!-- ELSE -->post-icon<!-- ENDIF -->" title="<!-- IF S_IS_LOCKED -->{L_FORUM_LOCKED}<!-- ELSE -->{L_POST_TOPIC}<!-- ENDIF -->"><a href="{U_POST_NEW_TOPIC}"><span></span><!-- IF S_IS_LOCKED -->{L_FORUM_LOCKED}<!-- ELSE -->{L_POST_TOPIC}<!-- ENDIF --></a></div>
		</div>
	<!-- ENDIF -->
The following will change it to a text-based button:

<div class="buttons">
			<a href="{U_POST_NEW_TOPIC}"><!-- IF S_IS_LOCKED -->{L_FORUM_LOCKED}<!-- ELSE -->{L_POST_TOPIC}<!-- ENDIF --></a>
		</div>
	<!-- ENDIF -->
You can style the button in any way you want with CSS. You can also modify the button text via the appropriate language file, or if you're not interested in portability, you can hard-code the button text.

darksminky

Post by darksminky »

it also lowers the size of the style, which doesn't seem important until someone experimenting ends up with a bunch of inactive style images hogging his/her disk space. The problems vastly outweigh the benefits, and yet we continue down this path. . . (did you get the pun there?)

(for those of you who didn't, you see, images are stored on pa- oh forget it :| )

_Vinny_
Style Customisations
Style Customisations
Name: Marcus Vinicius

Post by _Vinny_ »

darksminky wrote:My solution to this is to just use the CSS button system instead of images.
First path and the ticket. We will have to phpBB 3.1 :D

darksminky wrote:Google translate's problem with image buttons:
The problem is on Google's site, isn't on style or phpBB. The GT could not parse the CSS to display the correct height of the element.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

DionDesigns wrote:The image-based "text" buttons in phpBB3 are holdovers from the original phpBB product and should have disappeared long ago in favor of CSS-styled text-based buttons.

It's easy to replace the image-based buttons with text-based buttons. Here's one example. In the Prosilver viewforum_body.html template, you will find this:

<div class="buttons">
			<div class="<!-- IF S_IS_LOCKED -->locked-icon<!-- ELSE -->post-icon<!-- ENDIF -->" title="<!-- IF S_IS_LOCKED -->{L_FORUM_LOCKED}<!-- ELSE -->{L_POST_TOPIC}<!-- ENDIF -->"><a href="{U_POST_NEW_TOPIC}"><span></span><!-- IF S_IS_LOCKED -->{L_FORUM_LOCKED}<!-- ELSE -->{L_POST_TOPIC}<!-- ENDIF --></a></div>
		</div>
	<!-- ENDIF -->
The following will change it to a text-based button:

<div class="buttons">
			<a href="{U_POST_NEW_TOPIC}"><!-- IF S_IS_LOCKED -->{L_FORUM_LOCKED}<!-- ELSE -->{L_POST_TOPIC}<!-- ENDIF --></a>
		</div>
	<!-- ENDIF -->
You can style the button in any way you want with CSS. You can also modify the button text via the appropriate language file, or if you're not interested in portability, you can hard-code the button text.
I would suggest keeping the locked-icon and post-icon classes and using those for styling the buttons. It may be even better to have a general text-button class (if one doesn't exist already) that you can style and use the *-icon classes for any overrides necessary.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Post by Danielx64 »

Some of you may want to have a look at what Arty done with his style, it duesn't use images for the button, just css as far as I know.
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

Ishimaru Chiaki
Name: Caroline

Post by Ishimaru Chiaki »

darksminky wrote:true, but about half of boards are using a recolored prosilver, such as lucid lime, et cetera, and those image buttons look out of place, few people use prosilver when they can change it up. Subsilver2 too
(lol for redundancy), has that problem even though it's not required. I, for one, believe in supplying support to as many styles and setups as I can, to distribute better, and to further the joy of phpBB users. If we only did what was required, every mod would be really, really minimal. . .

That also doesn't fix the google translate problem above. Lotsa folks use Google translator. . .
And there are also folks who disable background images without disabling CSS and so, some buttons become completely invisible (quote, edit, folder icons) or the text might get clipped (post topic, reply, etc) I actually lived this situation twice, for I had an eye inflammation twice, and this inflammation causes photophobia, and one of the medicines that are prescribed for this enlarges the eye pupil. So last time I had this inflammation, I disabled background images and used darkgrey-based colors for my desktop and for Web page display, for about 1-2 weeks.
The situation is the same for partially sighted people that use a high-contrast system/browser settings to make texts easier to read.

So, I agree for the text-based buttons, they're more accessible than the current CSS background-image-based buttons system.
Find my phpBB3 and GIMP tutorials on http://ishimaru.pingveno.net (New address)
My DeviantArt gallery

Return to “phpBB Discussion”