Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
bbseek

Post by bbseek »

:?: vBulletin allows asking for real name at sign up. The real name is never displayed and is not verified but remains as a record for the administrator only just in case. Can it be done in phpBB too?
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Re: Sign up process phpBB vs vBulletin

Post by tbackoff »

Yes, phpBB allows custom profile fields to be displayed on the registration screen. You can create custom profile fields under the USERS AND GROUPS tab in the ACP.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

And, besides what Tabitha said, make the Custom Profile Field a required field that doesn't display anywhere in public.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
Big-Jim

Post by Big-Jim »

May I ask why this is an important feature? I guess I am just wondering, does it really matter what a person's real name is? Also, when someone registers and types in their name, how do you know they didn't just make up the name? If this feature is important to you, that's fine, I was just curious as to why it matters.
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae »

Big-Jim wrote:May I ask why this is an important feature? I guess I am just wondering, does it really matter what a person's real name is? Also, when someone registers and types in their name, how do you know they didn't just make up the name? If this feature is important to you, that's fine, I was just curious as to why it matters.
+1, I'd be interested to know, too.
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of
imkingdavid
Former Team Member
Name: David King

Post by imkingdavid »

Some boards are for use in small business contexts or as a supplement to other forms of communication between people that know each other in a real life setting. For instance, a professor may create a forum for his/her students to post assignments and collaborate outside of the classroom. In that case, it can be helpful to let students use their own username if they choose but also to be able to identify them by real name. Or a small business might have its employees use their real names so everyone knows to whom they're talking.

Or an admin might just want to give users the opportunity to disclose their real name if they choose, like on here.
Don't forget to smile today. :)
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Exactly. Who cares why he wants it? It doesn't require a change to phpBB, so it's not like we're debating an RFC.

Plus, he already stated that vBulletin didn't validate the real names (not surprisingly) and he was OK with that.

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
Big-Jim

Post by Big-Jim »

Pony99CA wrote:Exactly. Who cares why he wants it? It doesn't require a change to phpBB, so it's not like we're debating an RFC.

Plus, he already stated that vBulletin didn't validate the real names (not surprisingly) and he was OK with that.

Steve

I am not even sure why I am dignifying your comments with an answer.

It would be hard for me to care any less about why he wants the feature. I don't mean that in an unkind way, I just mean that I do not know the guy and in any case he is certainly free to have whatever kind of forum he wants, and he can certainly have whatever features he wants for his forum. As I explained in my previous post, I was curious as to why he felt the feature to be important. So unless you know the opening poster intimately and have become his personal spokesperson, perhaps it would be best if you let him answer the question.
MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member
Name: Mark Barnes

Post by MarkTheDaemon »

Big-Jim wrote:I was curious as to why he felt the feature to be important.
If we're going to be pedantic, bbseek didn't say that the feature was important to him, he said "can it be done in phpBB too?" ;).
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

And, just in case people haven't noticed, this site (phpbb.com) has custom profile fields for First Name and Last Name. They don't make you fill them in during registration, though.

So if people are really curious about why somebody might want that information, they could ask somebody on the Web site team (like maybe Callum). ;)

Steve

Return to “phpBB Discussion”