Where to look for PhpBB Developers...

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
evanair

Where to look for PhpBB Developers...

Post by evanair » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:31 pm

I run a site which has used UBBThreads for years. Due to a lack of continued development of that product, I'm looking to have the 10+ years of discussion forum content moved over to phpBB. I'd also like to have some customization and integration done, so that the site is able to operate within a WordPress shell.

Beyond that, I'd like to expand the user information in the database so that users can keep a personal diary of activities on my site, and can read entry of other users on a specific subject.

I no longer have the time or inclination to do this type of work myself.

Appreciate your advice.

-evan

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Re: Where to look for PhpBB Developers...

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:47 pm

We do not allow solicitation per rule 1k on this board.

Have a look around the board some (team) members advertise their services through their signature, you are free to contact those users (but only those that explicitly state that they can be hired!)
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:53 pm

For the conversion you would be better posting in [3.0.x] Convertors, whether or not they can assist, you will get the best help there. For all the other stuff you're asking there is plenty of excellent free help in all areas on phpBB.com. Solicitation isn't allowed in any case.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

evanair

Post by evanair » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:11 pm

I don't think my question qualifies as solicitation, per se. Asking where to find people who do this work is not the same as offering them a job, though admittedly, it does come uncomfortably close.

If you allow people to openly state that they're available for hire, is there a search method I could use to see them all in one place rather than having to spider the board manually?

As a broader question, if your aim is to have the software flourish, aren't you working at cross purposes if you limit my (and others) ability to find people who will utilize it? I guess I'm just trying to figure out the right question to be asking, and where to post it.

Thanks!

-evan

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:18 pm

Anyway, before this gets dragged out any more by the whys and wherefores, you need your board converting?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:06 pm

evanair wrote:If you allow people to openly state that they're available for hire, is there a search method I could use to see them all in one place rather than having to spider the board manually?
I don't know of any way to search signatures in phpBB. Even the Member List's Find a member search doesn't allow searching signatures (there's a good RFC ;)). I didn't even find a MOD to do that.
evanair wrote:As a broader question, if your aim is to have the software flourish, aren't you working at cross purposes if you limit my (and others) ability to find people who will utilize it?
I agree with you, and I basically asked that question over two years ago. See the Why Is Recruiting Against the Rules? topic for discussion about that.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

evanair

Post by evanair » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:33 pm

Mick wrote:Anyway, before this gets dragged out any more by the whys and wherefores, you need your board converting?
Well, yes, I suppose it does boil down to that. However, before I convert, I'd like to find out if it's possible to extend the functionality of forum, as that's the point of converting.

What I'd like to have done with the forum software is to allow users to "diary" about their experiences away from the forum. In this specific case, it's writing about specific rock climbs in a specific location. Each user would be able to keep track of the 500 or so climbs that are in the area of the web site and comments on them. Then create a way for other users to see those comments, and even find other users to climb with.

Could this be done within the PhpBB framework?

-em

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:09 pm

evanair wrote: What I'd like to have done with the forum software is to allow users to "diary" about their experiences away from the forum. In this specific case, it's writing about specific rock climbs in a specific location. Each user would be able to keep track of the 500 or so climbs that are in the area of the web site and comments on them. Then create a way for other users to see those comments, and even find other users to climb with.

Could this be done within the PhpBB framework?
It's software, so pretty much anything "can" be done. ;)

Seriously, though, check the User Blog MOD.

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:32 pm

At first I was thinking a blog might be better suited as well, but it depends on how you want to structure your website.

I think blogs feel a little more independent and isolated, where as in a forum it's more oriented towards a community together.

I would think that using forums, at least at first, might be a better way to grow the community and have members keep coming back for more interesting discussions, although I think the default sorting behavior might want to be changed in some forums from last post (or reply) time to original post time to keep newer topics nearer the top to reach a greater audience for each instead of having more active topics push down less active topics (you'd need some sort of mod for that). That way it might act more like a blog, but it would not be as isolated as blogs are.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:29 pm

EXreaction wrote:I would think that using forums, at least at first, might be a better way to grow the community and have members keep coming back for more interesting discussions, although I think the default sorting behavior might want to be changed in some forums from last post (or reply) time to original post time to keep newer topics nearer the top to reach a greater audience for each instead of having more active topics push down less active topics (you'd need some sort of mod for that).
I don't know why phpBB doesn't have a Topic Creation sort order by default. It's a very simple MOD (I did it on my test board) consisting of maybe two lines of code in three or four files.

You can also use the Forum Sort Order MOD, which provides an option to sort by topic date.

Either way, that sort order probably won't be the default, but you could probably follow the instructions in the Changing user options defaults and values Knowledge Base article to make it the default.

Steve

evanair

Post by evanair » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:47 pm

EXreaction wrote:At first I was thinking a blog might be better suited as well, but it depends on how you want to structure your website.

I think blogs feel a little more independent and isolated, where as in a forum it's more oriented towards a community together.
The "community" here is already well established, having been online since 1998(!). While the idea of a blog is somewhat on target, what I'm looking for is a searchable index of all there area's climbs, discussed by individual climbers. Of course, this can be done in forums, but it's not very organized, and it doesn't allow for things like group rating of a climb, among other things.

I'm looking to create a custom application from within the Phpbb framework, I guess.

-em

Return to “phpBB Discussion”