What is the reason for so many users moving to myBB

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
Mr. Nx

What is the reason for so many users moving to myBB

Post by Mr. Nx »

I did a lot of research before starting out with my first forum. After a lot of comparisons between phpBB, myBB, SMF, bbPress, IPboard, Advanced Electron and many others I finally chosed phpBB (tough my research actually favoured myBB over phpBB) for just one good reason, Community Support.

From all my findings i can see that in the past 2 years hundreds of users have migrated to myBB inspite of the huge community support here. Why? Are the phpBB officials even trying to find out why?
Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Re: What is the reason for so many users moving to myBB

Post by Jessica »

Probably because for MyBB, it's quite easy to install a plugin. Also, there are features MyBB has that phpBB3 still does not have (ex. Quick Edit). There might be other reasons.

Personally, to me, MyBB is not that great. The default style is ugly, there aren't enough good plugins...
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Mr. Nx

Post by Mr. Nx »

Jessica wrote:Probably because for MyBB, it's quite easy to install a plugin. Also, there are features MyBB has that phpBB3 still does not have (ex. Quick Edit). There might be other reasons.
Personally, to me, MyBB is not that great. The default style is ugly, there aren't enough good plugins...
As for installing plugins, maybe but thats not a big enough reason. I found out that if myBB is wordpress than phpBB id Drupal. With a little hard work more better results can be achieved with phpBB which myBB can't and moreover for me myBB doesn't looks professional but rather personal. But still i wonder did i missed something???
I hope there are no security issues with phpBB. i read a comparison article between various forum software and saw someone claiming that his forum with phpBB crashed when his user base expanded.

Can it be true?
Are there some limitations on database loads with phpBB?
Is it true that pHpBB generates more load?

Just eager otherwise my forum with phpBB is doin fine...
/a3

Post by /a3 »

Mr. Nx wrote:From all my findings i can see that in the past 2 years hundreds of users have migrated to myBB inspite of the huge community support here. Why? Are the phpBB officials even trying to find out why?
A few points:
  1. There are possibly millions of forums on the internet. Some like changing to whatever's newest. There are new forums popping up everywhere. That's going to be kind of hard to measure.
  2. What's wrong with people using MyBB? Competition is good. Even if only 100 boards used phpBB, it wouldn't diminish in value for me. I personally have taken a liking to PunBB, but I still like phpBB as well.
  3. Some people don't like change so much (especially big boards). From what I've heard, MyBB is always changing. Maybe my own impression isn't accurate though.
$ git commit -m "YOLO"
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

Mr. Nx wrote:As for installing plugins, maybe but thats not a big enough reason. I found out that if myBB is wordpress than phpBB id Drupal. With a little hard work more better results can be achieved with phpBB which myBB can't and moreover for me myBB doesn't looks professional but rather personal. But still i wonder did i missed something?
Shouldn't you ask myBB users why they chose myBB over phpBB instead of asking phpBB users? ;)
Mr. Nx wrote:I hope there are no security issues with phpBB.
I've only seen two since phpBB 3.0 came out that required a new release. Somebody recently linked to a Secunia site that listed 5 in 2010 (all fixed, i believe). Before phpBB 3.0 was released, it had a paid security audit -- you might ask if myBB had one.
Mr. Nx wrote:i read a comparison article between various forum software and saw someone claiming that his forum with phpBB crashed when his user base expanded.

Can it be true?
I'm sure that it can be true, but without any more details, it's hard to say.
Mr. Nx wrote:Are there some limitations on database loads with phpBB?
That probably depends more on your hosting plan and database configuration than with phpBB. If you have a basic hosting plan with limited bandwidth and storage, phpBB probably will crash (or your host will cut it off) if those limits are exceeded.

I've read that one problem with phpBB is if you set up a lot of forums (over 1000 or 2000), which can cause the permission system to become very slow. But every board will have some limitations eventually -- nobody can handle an infinite board. ;)
Mr. Nx wrote:Is it true that pHpBB generates more load?
Where did you read that? phpBB prides itself on being lightweight, although to actually test that, you'd have to set up various performance scenarios and test the competition with boards configured as close to each other as possible (same users, same posts, same settings, etc. where possible).

It sounds like you've done more research than many users would, so I wouldn't second guess yourself.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
Mr. Nx

Post by Mr. Nx »

Thank you everyone for your valuable inputs specially Pony.

Yes i have done enough research on my own but just wanted to cover all aspects and every perspective. I put up the same question on myBB forum too and now am almost clear on the topic and I choose to stay with phpBB.

I specially liked the idea of not having to update and make changes every now and then. There will always be biased opinions but i think Pony has made things almost clear by stating that he personally has started liking punBB along with phpBB. It simply implies that choice depends on one's own liking.

Thank you once again
MGadAllah
Name: Mohamed GadAllah

Post by MGadAllah »

My advise for comparing any two of the same type software is to 1st determine the main key you are after as it may vary from one to another then start to compare.
Also not everything came up in Google is true because there are a lot of fake whole sites to do back links ...etc, but you would better always keep in mind that Google is not always right.
(I do remember that Google itself feed you back for any search key word you are using according to what Google think it is alright).
For hosting you can investigate it more, and if you like any hosting offer please copy this hosting provider name and then start to search for bad or negative review and not the sponsored ones, for example never take a feed back from webhostingtalk forum because there are a lot of paid reviewers to do the posting, but always look for negative 1st.
For support, you would better look in the support forum itself for any software to see how much active it is already.
Also take into consideration the range of releasing new version of the software and how much time you gonna wait to fix anything especially security issues.
Later on you better not use a lot of MODs because this is what screw the whole thing later on.
That is all I've now in my mind and for sure more people around to fill in their inputs.
Would you like to know more about ISLAM ?
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

Mr. Nx wrote:There will always be biased opinions but i think Pony has made things almost clear by stating that he personally has started liking punBB along with phpBB. It simply implies that choice depends on one's own liking.
That's always the case in any decision (what car to drive, what city to live in, etc.). However, to be accurate, I did not say that I liked punBB (I've never seen it as far as I know); that was /a3.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
Mr. Nx

Post by Mr. Nx »

I am sorry, my Bad!
seedism
Name: Peter Hamilton

Post by seedism »

I have no knowledge in regards to punbb or mybb, just had a quick look and there is not anything more available than phpBB already offers.

I was going to buy IPboard or Vbulletin, but spend a few more days researching free/open source forum software and found phpBB offering the better community support and went for it.

I must say that I am personally happy with my choice, and looking at both punbb and mybb I think it is the better choice.
made-by-bacteria

Post by made-by-bacteria »

IMO, you're better off using an established piece of software/standard that's well supported and has a community behind it, whether it is "the best" or not. That means phpBB for forums, it is the "de-facto" standard, and is popular. No different to using alternatives to other providers/services - for example, why bother using other alternatives to say Ebay for buying/selling or Google for internet searching; or Facebook or Twitter; these are the best supported, best known and most popular at what they do: as with phpBB for forums.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I don't think myBB is more popular than phpBB. I don't know if myBB is open source, but phpBB is the most used open source forum software as far as I know. So if myBB is free, it means that it's behind phpBB. I can't list the advantages that myBB has, but with what phpBB has, any other software would have a hard time to compete.

As for the issue mentioned above regarding many users and database overloads, I don't agree. There are quite a few boards out there with over 1 million users and with the right administration everything works as it should. I even know a phpBB2 forum with over 3 million users and it runs smoothly - with hard work obviously and a nice dedicated server.

There isn't such a thing that phpBB doesn't offer (forums related), you simply must have some basic knowledge on how to make a good search in the search bar.
PM me for custom extension pricing / My validated MODs / My MODs in development
wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Post by wGEric »

Mr. Nx wrote:I did a lot of research before starting out with my first forum. After a lot of comparisons between phpBB, myBB, SMF, bbPress, IPboard, Advanced Electron and many others I finally chosed phpBB (tough my research actually favoured myBB over phpBB) for just one good reason, Community Support.

From all my findings i can see that in the past 2 years hundreds of users have migrated to myBB inspite of the huge community support here. Why? Are the phpBB officials even trying to find out why?
I think you answered your own question (see bold part in your quote).
Eric
Ascareus

Post by Ascareus »

because mybb has more feature built in
such as quick edit, autogroup, inline moderation, avatar auto resize
i think mybb is a bit lighter than phpbb
mybb provide easy way to install mod

Return to “phpBB Discussion”