Spam spam spam

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
Post Reply
matthysdt
Registered User
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:51 am

Spam spam spam

Post by matthysdt » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:21 am

When my phpBB forum was only 2 days old it started.

As things are now, the number posts by spammers outweigh the number of legitimate posts 10-to-1.

I've become so desperate that all posts by newly registered users must now be approved by the only admin (me).

I would like to know where-oh-where-oh-where did these spammers come across my website, it's not like I had it listed somewhere on a site of phpBB forums. It is possible that I may have mentioned my site in THIS forum once. If the latter is the reason, it means spammer are trolling THIS forum for anyone posting a link to an existing phpBB forum. This means that we must warn all users against posting URL's to their forums in this forum.

Anyway, I thought of a feature which would greatly decrease the number of spam posts I would have to approve.
Since the majority of spam posts contain URL's to other sites, could we have phpBB only require approval of posts by newly registered users IF they contain an URL?

Regards
PS. I'm an extreme n00b in phpBB so forgive my cluelessness if I don't understand your suggested solutions.

User avatar
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 69354
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:44 am
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: SPAM SPAM SPAM

Post by KevC » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:10 am

matthysdt wrote: I would like to know where-oh-where-oh-where did these spammers come across my website
Google.

You can prevent them from even getting in with some simple steps, as outlined in this sticky topic in the support forum.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2122696
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Image
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

pauly
Registered User
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:50 am

Re: SPAM SPAM SPAM

Post by pauly » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:20 pm

I found using Q&A stops most bots

shiftingtin.com
Registered User
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Spam spam spam

Post by shiftingtin.com » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:31 pm

My forum has also suffered from spammers creating hundreds of accounts just to list a website address in their profile (Even though you need to be logged in to see profiles/members list) so it is of no benefit to them in terms of pagerank or anything like that.

I have also had spammers posting thousands of messages using scripts, again posting links to all kinds of things in their posts.

Whatever methods I tried failed to stop the spammers: CAPTCHA, Q+A, 3D IMAGE.... anything.

However I have now found a solution that has drastically reduced spammers/bots for me. It is called "ZBBlock".. Google it. It is a free download and relatively simple to install. It bans certain people from registering if they appear from known spamming IPs, strange user-agents or other known data.

Good luck.

matthysdt
Registered User
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:51 am

Re: SPAM SPAM SPAM

Post by matthysdt » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:40 pm

Kevin Clark wrote:
matthysdt wrote: I would like to know where-oh-where-oh-where did these spammers come across my website
Google.

You can prevent them from even getting in with some simple steps, as outlined in this sticky topic in the support forum.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2122696
I just find it hard to believe since I cannot even find my own site in Google without googling it's exact name.

Thanks, I'm working on the Q&A solution, hopefully this deters the majority of spammers.

User avatar
Lumpy Burgertushie
Registered User
Posts: 66727
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 3:11 am
Contact:

Re: SPAM SPAM SPAM

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:12 pm

matthysdt wrote:
Kevin Clark wrote:
matthysdt wrote: I would like to know where-oh-where-oh-where did these spammers come across my website
Google.

You can prevent them from even getting in with some simple steps, as outlined in this sticky topic in the support forum.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2122696
I just find it hard to believe since I cannot even find my own site in Google without googling it's exact name.

Thanks, I'm working on the Q&A solution, hopefully this deters the majority of spammers.
they don't search for your site. they search for phpbb boards.

it is easy.

search for "Powered by phpBB" using the quotes.

today that returns 1,280,000,000 results. that is 1.28 billion with a B

I would say that is a lot of boards to run your scripts on hoping to get just a few that you can post on.


robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

User avatar
Lumpy Burgertushie
Registered User
Posts: 66727
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 3:11 am
Contact:

Re: Spam spam spam

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:17 pm

shiftingtin.com wrote:My forum has also suffered from spammers creating hundreds of accounts just to list a website address in their profile (Even though you need to be logged in to see profiles/members list) so it is of no benefit to them in terms of pagerank or anything like that.

I have also had spammers posting thousands of messages using scripts, again posting links to all kinds of things in their posts.

Whatever methods I tried failed to stop the spammers: CAPTCHA, Q+A, 3D IMAGE.... anything.

However I have now found a solution that has drastically reduced spammers/bots for me. It is called "ZBBlock".. Google it. It is a free download and relatively simple to install. It bans certain people from registering if they appear from known spamming IPs, strange user-agents or other known data.

Good luck.
It probably won't be any better than simply banning via IP , email, etc. that is already built in to phpbb.
the spammers can change IPs at will and can change proxies at will etc. even banning whole blocks of IPs is not good because you ban potential good users without knowing it. banning via country IP is no longer very good because the IPs change all the time etc.

even through this latest bout from the spam bots, it is still true that if you provide a good question and answer pair that can not be googled for and hopefully that has not been used by anyone else ( therefore not in a "database" ) then you stop them dead before they can register. that is how you fix the problem.


robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

User avatar
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 69354
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:44 am
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: SPAM SPAM SPAM

Post by KevC » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:27 pm

matthysdt wrote:
Kevin Clark wrote:
matthysdt wrote: I would like to know where-oh-where-oh-where did these spammers come across my website
Google.

You can prevent them from even getting in with some simple steps, as outlined in this sticky topic in the support forum.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2122696
I just find it hard to believe since I cannot even find my own site in Google without googling it's exact name.

Thanks, I'm working on the Q&A solution, hopefully this deters the majority of spammers.
But you're actively looking for your specific site. They have a much more general approach such as lists of newly registered domain names they can crawl for forums, blogs, any kind of login/registration page. They have thousands of little scripts doing that, 24/7. It doesn't matter if it's a phpBB board or myBB or VB or wordpress. They all get targeted so you have to employ tactics to stop them.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Image
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

shiftingtin.com
Registered User
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:11 pm
Contact:

Re: Spam spam spam

Post by shiftingtin.com » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:00 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
shiftingtin.com wrote:My forum has also suffered from spammers creating hundreds of accounts just to list a website address in their profile (Even though you need to be logged in to see profiles/members list) so it is of no benefit to them in terms of pagerank or anything like that.

I have also had spammers posting thousands of messages using scripts, again posting links to all kinds of things in their posts.

Whatever methods I tried failed to stop the spammers: CAPTCHA, Q+A, 3D IMAGE.... anything.

However I have now found a solution that has drastically reduced spammers/bots for me. It is called "ZBBlock".. Google it. It is a free download and relatively simple to install. It bans certain people from registering if they appear from known spamming IPs, strange user-agents or other known data.

Good luck.
It probably won't be any better than simply banning via IP , email, etc. that is already built in to phpbb.
the spammers can change IPs at will and can change proxies at will etc. even banning whole blocks of IPs is not good because you ban potential good users without knowing it. banning via country IP is no longer very good because the IPs change all the time etc.

even through this latest bout from the spam bots, it is still true that if you provide a good question and answer pair that can not be googled for and hopefully that has not been used by anyone else ( therefore not in a "database" ) then you stop them dead before they can register. that is how you fix the problem.


robert
That is true. I think ZBBlock is good at banning specific user agents of many scraper tools though. I don't know, but I installed it on my forum and it has stopped spammers completely. Yet I can still register from any IP addresses I have tried, which is a good thing :)

made-by-bacteria
Registered User
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:58 am
Contact:

Re: Spam spam spam

Post by made-by-bacteria » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:01 am

Probably best to not use numbers as the answer as that's pretty easy for a spambot program to get; also Q&A that contain the answer as a string.

in2012
Registered User
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:38 pm

Re: SPAM SPAM SPAM

Post by in2012 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:58 pm

Kevin Clark wrote:
matthysdt wrote: I would like to know where-oh-where-oh-where did these spammers come across my website
Google.

You can prevent them from even getting in with some simple steps, as outlined in this sticky topic in the support forum.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2122696
Kevin, going through the thread I'm a little lost.

Was there a consensus answer for registrations to stop the latest spambot software?

User avatar
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 69354
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:44 am
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: Spam spam spam

Post by KevC » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:01 pm

You need to choose a question that cannot be answered with a search engine and preferably which is unique to your board.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Image
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Post Reply

Return to “phpBB Discussion”