What it the best setting for User Registration Settings?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
captain_Kurt1

What it the best setting for User Registration Settings?

Post by captain_Kurt1 »

Can someone tell me the preferred setting for User Registration settings Account activation:
? Within the admin panel.
I’ve tried setting it to "by user" and later I found I had like 100+ inactive users that I activated, so I set it to none, but now it’s time for me to ask someone that knows better then I. What is the preferred setting? Thank you in advance for your help.
If you say the best setting is "by user" then could you answer this, why did I have so many inactave users, why did so many people not activate themselves? it's just odd to see that many.
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Re: What it the best setting for User Registration Settings?

Post by tbackoff »

There is no "best setting", it's based on your needs. Some boards don't require activation (dumb, in my opinion), some let users activate, and some require an administrator to activate accounts. As for the numerous inactive users, maybe they typed their e-mail address wrong or just decided not to for whatever reason.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

In my opinion, by user is the best option and I've always used that one.
captain_Kurt1 wrote:If you say the best setting is "by user" then could you answer this, why did I have so many inactave users, why did so many people not activate themselves? it's just odd to see that many.
You got many inactive users because they never activated their account via the link received on their e-mails. When by user is selected, the registrant receives an e-mail with an activation link to make the account useable.
PM me for custom extension pricing / My validated MODs / My MODs in development
captain_Kurt1

Post by captain_Kurt1 »

Thanks to all who replied.
Sam
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Thompson

Post by Sam »

My settings are "by User" as well, but I also have the Newly Registered Users group enabled and the posts on queue until they exit that group. With those two things combined, spam never sees public view on that forum. Naturally, it does not, however, stop spammers from registering, and the moderators have to manually disapprove posts and ban the user.
Cpt. Blackbeard

Post by Cpt. Blackbeard »

I vote for By User myself, and I'd bet those inactive users were Spambot accounts, I would have simply deleted them and changed my Q&A
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

Cpt. Blackbeard wrote:I vote for By User myself, and I'd bet those inactive users were Spambot accounts, I would have simply deleted them and changed my Q&A
That's my guess, too. Spammers have ways of finding boards and register like crazy, but not all will activate their accounts.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

It is worth pointing out that there is a MOD available to enable USER and ADMIN simultaneously, an option that some small to mid-size boards might consider:

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... tion_pack/
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish

Return to “phpBB Discussion”