[Discuss] AutoMOD 1.0.2 released

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
sevenalive
Translator
Name: Robert

Re: [Discuss] AutoMOD 1.0.2 released

Post by sevenalive »

That's the obvious reason and it's a stupid one.

As I said, Automod is an essential. Yes, it started as a mod, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be included by default.

When I install phpBB, it's an extra step to install autoMod. For those new to phpBB won't know about automod, which leads to the "how do I install this?".

Including it by default is convenience, but it also makes it easier for people to get started with mods. If 90% (made up) of your phpBB base had automod installed, then it makes perfect sense to include it.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

sevenalive wrote:That's the obvious reason and it's a stupid one.
I find your response, in fact, to be asinine and if you had a clue about 3.1 you would realize that automod will be obsolete with the release of it. Why stop with Automod, why not include Titania, UMIL and every other mod written by the modifications team?

PS Just because you don't like my reason doesn't make it "stupid" it makes it my opinion on the matter and I am entitled to my opinion, thank you very much!!
Including it by default is convenience, but it also makes it easier for people to get started with mods. If 90% (made up) of your phpBB base had automod installed, then it makes perfect sense to include it.
Automod is not some panacea. Users still post "I used automod to install the mod, but I can't get it to display on my style" or "automod is complaining that it can't find xx in my style or blah blah in my PHP file" and many just choose to not use automod to begin with.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

sevenalive wrote:Why isn't AutoMod default in the phpbb download. It is essential. Too many people try and manually edit and make mistakes, wasting mod creators and style creators time.

It's mature enough and I haven't had a problem with it. I do have to manually edit the install.xml's when other mods cause the install to fail.
Aside from what Rich said, the fact is that AutoMOD is its own world and deals entirely with MODs and can have an adverse effect on boards if used or configured improperly. When we first came up with the idea through EasyMOD (2.x days) the idea was promising. When AutoMOD was created it was pretty raw and needed work. It isn't until now that it is so stable that it could be considered for inclusion. However I don't think we should be adding such a gigantic and potentially dangerous feature to 3.0.x at this point. We rather go with the extensions and events system that is going to be in 3.1, which would eliminate the need to have to edit files, though that need might still exist in some rare and short-lived instances.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
sevenalive
Translator
Name: Robert

Post by sevenalive »

Now that is a better reason. I was hoping 3.1 would have a plugin system similar to wordpress.

If 3.1 will be released sometime in 2013, I wouldn't bother either. But if it's still 2 years+ from release, then I would at least put the automod package as a recommended download on the downloads page.

Right now it's treated like Umil, it's hidden because it's intended for developers. But AutoMOD is for everyone.

I click the Customise menu button. I see the moddb. I see no mention of automod or how to install them.

So what I'm really saying is start advertising it. There could be an announcement box shown above the moddb pages that tells them about automod and link to the download.
DavidIQ
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

Should 3.1 take longer than expected to be released then that will definitely be considered. Thanks for the suggestion.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC »

sevenalive wrote:Now that is a better reason. I was hoping 3.1 would have a plugin system similar to wordpress.

If 3.1 will be released sometime in 2013, I wouldn't bother either. But if it's still 2 years+ from release, then I would at least put the automod package as a recommended download on the downloads page.

Right now it's treated like Umil, it's hidden because it's intended for developers. But AutoMOD is for everyone.

I click the Customise menu button. I see the moddb. I see no mention of automod or how to install them.

So what I'm really saying is start advertising it. There could be an announcement box shown above the moddb pages that tells them about automod and link to the download.
There is a two-click way to get to autoMOD from the downloads page. In the footer where we have links to other relevant parts of the site there is: 'Add Functionality with MODs'.

Clicking there takes you here which has AutoMOD as the 4th link down.

It is not the best navigation admittedly, however it is the best for now. If you want a MOD, then you'll likely click the link for MODs which takes you to that landing page. Likewise, if you hover over customise, then select mods then you'll go to that same landing page which includes AutoMOD as 4th link down.

If you have any further feedback or suggestions for the website it would be most appreciated in this topic
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss.
Formerly Website Team Lead/Manager & Development Team.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free
Mr. Natural

Post by Mr. Natural »

I was able to update successfully, but when I go to the AutoMod page, I get the message:

The store/ directory is not writable.

Any suggestions?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

Mr. Natural wrote:I was able to update successfully, but when I go to the AutoMod page, I get the message:

The store/ directory is not writable.

Any suggestions?
the store folder has to be set to chmod 777
use your ftp program to do that. right click choose chmod or properties etc.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
Mr. Natural

Post by Mr. Natural »

Reset to 777, now I get:

The store/mods/ directory is not writable. This is required for “Upload MOD” to work properly, unless you set your “write method” to “FTP”. Please adjust your permissions or settings and try again.

If I reset write method to FTP, I get:

The specified username is not correct
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff »

DavidIQ wrote:Please do not post support requests in the this topic. Please post them in the AutoMOD support forum or the AutoMOD support section in the customization database.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.
Mr. Natural

Post by Mr. Natural »

my apologies.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”