submission to Google

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
sree12

submission to Google

Post by sree12 »

I have installed phpBB

How can submit my site to Google and Alexa

and How can I Index my pages ?

thanks
AndroidOS

Re: submission to Google

Post by AndroidOS »

The only answer I have to this is good SEO. Google's (and other search engines) bots will automatically come and take a look through your site very so often, checking your websites content and details. They will then use this information to make your site searchable in Google.

A way to make your forum rank higher is through good SEO. Try reading some articles on SEO (which stands for Search Engine Optimisation), and possibly install a SEO MOD for phpBB, although this is not necessary.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

They will find you anyway but they have a site where you can submit your URL. Search on their page for 'submit url'. It can take several weeks for your site to show up.

You don't need any extra SEO. The only thing you should probably add is some text in the description meta tag in the overall_header.html file.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

and, of course, some content. google will find your site even with no content. however, it will put you way down on page ten million or whatever if you have no content.

forget about SEO, it is simply not necessary at this point.

phpbb has pretty good SEO out of the box. just spend you time creating good content about whatever your board is about.

if your board is not about some specific subject or is more of an all around discussion board, do not expect to get listed very high in google etc. there are simply too many sites around to compete with.

whatever your subject is, make sure that you have lots of good, up to date info about that subject.

that is all you need for google etc.

remember, nobody goes to google looking for your site. they go looking for information about a particular subject. If your site has that info then they will find it when they search for sites with that info.

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

sree12 wrote: How can submit my site to Google and Alexa
I don't know about Alexa, but don't count on Google finding you unless your site is linked to from other places. One good place to link to your site is your signature here (see my signature?). GoogleBot crawls phpBB.com frequently.
sree12 wrote:and How can I Index my pages ?
I don't know what you mean. Once Google finds your site, it will index your pages. You could also use a site map, but that's only necessary if Google can't crawl your site -- and Google can very easily crawl phpBB.

You don't need much SEO at all. My dog sitting site is #2 in Google on various searches (like Hollister dog sitting) and I never submitted it to Google and the only "SEO" that I did was submit my site to a couple of pet sitting registries and ensure that the area that we served was mentioned on the home page.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
Lumpy Burgertushie

actually, google will index/find your site regardless. it indexes every single website in the world eventually.

what having backlinks will do is give you a better position in the search results. having quality backlinks lists you higher and having more of them makes it even better. none of this has much to do with what is normally considered to be SEO. none of the SEO MODs or tweaks to your website have anything to do with this way of getting better positioning in the search results.

robert

chiefdembe

Post by chiefdembe »

place your site as a link on your main site, google profile, twitter profile, facebook and google plus and add link to google and you should be indexed in under a few hours.

wish phpbb had a way to create a sitemap for phpbb forums or add a analytics or google webmaster file
HGN
Former Team Member
Name: Alfred

Post by HGN »

chiefdembe wrote:wish phpbb had a way to create a sitemap for phpbb forums
That isn't realy usefull for a dynamic site like a discussion board.
Lumpy Burgertushie

and you can add any type of analytics code you want.
'
just put the code in the overall_footer.html file whatever style(s) you are using.

it won't do you any good for SEO but it may help you to see where your traffic is coming from etc.

as HGN said, a sitemap is not much good because every time a post is made, the sitemap is no longer valid.
however, if you wish to add one, do so. It won't hurt anything and there is nothing to keep you from doing it.

robert

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

sree12 wrote:I have installed phpBB

How can submit my site to Google and Alexa

and How can I Index my pages ?

thanks
Put a link to your forum in your signature here at phpBB.com.

I guarantee within a week you will have bots crawling it. Spam bots. Email scrapers. Maybe even some search engine crawlers too! :D
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:actually, google will index/find your site regardless. it indexes every single website in the world eventually.
And how does Google find the site if it's not submitted to them or linked to from anywhere? Google's not magical. ;)

I just checked a page that I put up years ago and Google hasn't indexed it -- because I never linked to it from anywhere. So if it can't find that page, if won't be able to find a site unless it's submitted or linked to.

The reason that Google does have so many sites is because most people want to be in Google, so they submit them or get them linked to. But not everybody may want their site known.

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
Lumpy Burgertushie

not sure about your site but google has search bots, they go out all over the net and index every single site in existence. that is what they have always done.

robert

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:not sure about your site but google has search bots, they go out all over the net and index every single site in existence. that is what they have always done.
I know how bots and indexing work, but if a site isn't linked to and hasn't been submitted to Google, how do you think those bots will find the site to index?

My point is that claiming Google will somehow magically find your site is not true.

Steve
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

Pony99CA wrote: My point is that claiming Google will somehow magically find your site is not true.
And his point is that he probably wasn't being as pedantic as you are. :geek:

:)

For the average, typical web site, Google will find it.
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog
Lumpy Burgertushie

google is not a web directory, it is a bot style search engine.

web directories like yahoo require sites to be submitted.

true search engines like google do not. how do you think the spam bots find the boards?

do you submit your site to the spam bots? I doubt it, yet they will find your board before you have submitted it to anything or linked it to or from anything etc.

not sure why you don't understand this. this has been the case for true search engines since way before google was even around.

robert

Return to “phpBB Discussion”