How much knowledge do you need?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
Zadira

How much knowledge do you need?

Post by Zadira »

I hired a fellow to build me a web site using WP-United and phpbb. I have read on the boards that this is a simple process and these programs should work together seamlessly. My guy that I hired was not able to fix the log ins to work correctly so he hired a programmer friend to do some coding on the site. I am not sure why he had to do this or what he did. Now he is telling me that I am not able to add any mods at all. He said that the coding keeps me from adding any mods to the site.

This is very concerning to me. He has the most simple captcha mod installed and the things that I am reading about spam just scare me to death.

I have run a very successful site on Proboards but want to have my own site now so that I can get the income from the ads.

I want to combine my current site with another site that I like and build one that to me is the perfect site.

Here is my current site on Proboards: http://www.mysticmayhem.net

Here is the other site : http://www.freerealmsinsider.com

I want a site that has a news/home page and a forums.

Here is the site that the guy built for me that I cannot add any mods to:

http://www.freerealmsmyahem.com

Now.. my question is.. I have only had sites on hosted sites like Proboards before so I don't have a lot of knowledge about the ftp and installation of web sites. Apparently I am great at managing a forum very successfully but as far as building one, it scares me silly!

Should I be considering building this myself, since I can't find anyone who knows about phpbb or should I just try and forget about my dream website?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: How much knowledge do you need?

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

like I said in your other post, whoever did this for you did not have a clue about how it all works.

there are many many sites out there that use wp united with phpbb and the logins work just fine. that is really the whole point of wp united.

I can't imagine any coding that someone did that would keep you from being able to install whatever MODs you may want on your new board.

have you tried?

if the guy you hired did not know how to get the thing working in the first place, I don't know that I would believe much of anything he said about what you can and can't do with the board.

tell us what MOD you want to install on the board.
we will tell you exactly how to do it.

also, your new site looks and seems to work just fine. the login process is working just fine as far as I can tell.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

Zadira

Post by Zadira »

Yes, the log in does work now. For several weeks it did not. The guy who I hired completely wiped the site a few weeks ago and removed all of our hard work because he could not figure out how to get the log in to work. We spent over a week working for days getting the site ready for the Grand Opening Date that was supposed to be 03/03/2013. I had all the kids over at my current site all excited for the big announcement. That is when he called in his programmer friend. He said he could not figure out how to fix the log in.

I have not tried to add anything. I don't want to do anything wrong.

He kind of scared me about doing anything with the ftp or installation part. He said that people have to go to school to learn how to use it. He taught me how to add the Rank Badges and little icons that I made but that is all I know how to do from the installation end of building a website.

I hired this guy over six weeks ago and am pretty much just about ready to give up. I guess my last thing I can think to do is to try to do it myself. That is why I want to know how hard it really is? I am out a lot of money at this point and have nothing to show for it, if what he says is true.

I was told that the captcha that we have right now is about as good of protection as chocolate against fire. I want to add the Q&A Catptcha. I asked him about adding it and he told me I was not able to. I don't know what to believe now. This has certainly not been the most fun experience of my life. :oops:

tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff »

Zadira wrote:I was told that the captcha that we have right now is about as good of protection as chocolate against fire. I want to add the Q&A Catptcha. I asked him about adding it and he told me I was not able to. I don't know what to believe now. This has certainly not been the most fun experience of my life. :oops:
Yeah, he's straight lying to your face. Adding the Q&A CAPTCHA is ease. Login to your ACP and click on "Spambot countermeasures". In the Available plugins section, click the dropdown and select Q&A (it should be there) and click "Configure". Enter your questions and answers and then go back to Spambot Countermeasures. Select Q&A again (it should not be greyed out now) and click "Submit" at the bottom of the page.

Personally, I would never hire someone unless absolutely necessary. Everyone here volunteers their free time and only ask for a thanks in return. As for how much knowledge you need - I started out just a few years ago with almost no knowledge. I have now been a team member twice (one of those being Support) and can write a 3.0 modification with very little help. Running a board will be no problem for you in no time.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

t_backoff wrote:
Zadira wrote:I was told that the captcha that we have right now is about as good of protection as chocolate against fire. I want to add the Q&A Catptcha. I asked him about adding it and he told me I was not able to. I don't know what to believe now. This has certainly not been the most fun experience of my life. :oops:
Yeah, he's straight lying to your face. Adding the Q&A CAPTCHA is ease. Login to your ACP and click on "Spambot countermeasures". In the Available plugins section, click the dropdown and select Q&A (it should be there) and click "Configure". Enter your questions and answers and then go back to Spambot Countermeasures. Select Q&A again (it should not be greyed out now) and click "Submit" at the bottom of the page.
Will Q&A CAPTCHA work with WP-United? I know nothing about WP-United and which side manages registrations and logins, but if WordPress is managing registrations, maybe the Q&A CAPTCHA won't work (because it's part of the phpBB registration process).

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Lumpy Burgertushie

in this case he is using the phpbb registration login process so Q& A will work.

I am with tabitha on this one. the guy is flat laying to you about some of this stuff.

cut him lose, ask for a refund etc.

then come back and we can help you.

robert

Zadira

Post by Zadira »

Oh wow! You guys are giving me hope!
I have already cut him loose. He was not very nice but I am going to forget about that now.
I am going to go try and read and figure out how to add the new captcha and see what happens. Thanks everyone!

Lumpy Burgertushie

you don't have to add anything, you simply enable it from the admin panel:

How to configure Q&A
  1. ACP> Spambot countermeasures> Installed plugins> click the dropdown box and select Q&A (it will be greyed out)
  2. Click the configure button then click add.
  3. Add your question and answer (you need a Q&A for each language you have installed) click submit.
  4. Click 'back to previous page' then click 'back'
  5. Select Q&A from the dropdown box (again)
  6. Click submit at the bottom of the page.
  7. Done.
robert

Zadira

Post by Zadira »

Well, that was certainly easy enough but I think I did break something.
I am trying to log out so I can test the new captcha and the system will not let me log out. Gosh, maybe he was right. :oops:

Lumpy Burgertushie

your cookie domain is incorrect.

you have it set to
.freerealmsmayhem.com

it should be:

bbs.freerealmsmayhem.com

while you are threre, change the cookie name as well, just add a number to it.

then log out.

I just tested your registration and you do not yet have the Q&A setup properly.

try again, follow those instructions above, exactly and in order.

robert

Zadira

Post by Zadira »

I need to thank all of you for your help. The help here gave me courage and helped me know that what I thought was the truth was actually the truth. I now have one of the staff members on my current site who seems to know a lot about these kinds of things helping me. If you guys had not helped me and encouraged me, I would not have felt comfortable moving on with this project, so thank you for you help and kindness. :P

I have a feeling you have not seen the last of me. :P

Cryo
Name: Chris

Post by Cryo »

best of luck Zadira, never give up :-)

Reid Graycloak

Post by Reid Graycloak »

Hi, I'll be working with Zadira to get her site going. I've changed the cookie domain and name as suggested. I am able to log in and out of the forum. However, WordPress side still shows me logged in.

WordPress: freerealmsmayhem.com
Forum: bbs.freerealmsmayhem.com

I'd rather have a cookie for both. On my site I've got the forums in a subdirectory. Would if be difficult to move the forums from bbs.freerealmsmayhem.com to freerealmsmayhem.com/bss ?

I've also added the EN_US ... is that any part of the problem?

Reid Graycloak

Post by Reid Graycloak »

I figured out the answers to everything I can remember asking from the previous post. Zadira told me my post won't show up until a moderator approves it. That's fine. When it does show up, I'll probably have other questions.

Reid Graycloak

Post by Reid Graycloak »

On this page:

http://freerealmsmayhem.com/home.php

The logo has a style embedded into the IMG tag.

on this page, which uses exactly the same 'overall_header.html'

http://freerealmsmayhem.com/bbs/

the IMG tag is not styled or touched. Where is the style coming from? How can I make it stop that?!

Return to “phpBB Discussion”