How does one search for a developer?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Wu Shen

How does one search for a developer?

Post by Wu Shen » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:09 pm

I know that it is against the rules here to ask for referrals to paid developers. Also, I know that the general purpose of this site is for DIY programmers. However, is it possible to discuss techniques one might use to search for a developer?

Performing a Google search didn't return satisfactory results. Perhaps there is a better search query other than "phpBB developer"?

What techniques would you recommend to someone looking for a professional phpBB developer?

Thanks!

tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Re: How does one search for a developer?

Post by tbackoff » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:18 am

Many users here (team and non-team) offer services. I would suggest looking in their signatures, as that is most likely where they will state it. Also, please only contact those users that specifically say it is OK to do so in their signature.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.

Big-Jim

Post by Big-Jim » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:08 am

Exactly what is it that you want done? You don't need to go into any detail, I just mean, do you want something along the lines of a modification made for your site? The reason I am asking is, you can request a mod right here on this site. But requesting it doesn't mean it will get done, it only means you can request it. When I say that, it sounds pretty negative, but I promise you I don't mean it in a bad way. I only say it because someone fluent in writing php code may read your request for a certain mod and take an interest in the idea. If that happens, your request for a mod has a good chance of getting done. On the other hand, if nobody feels the mod is a good idea, then it won't get worked on and you will be on your own to get it done. But if a mod is what you want, then it is certainly worth a shot at putting in a request. It doesn't cost anything to request it, except maybe a few minutes of your time. But I would also mention that I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for some action on the mod. Again, I don't mean that in a bad way, I am just saying it may take awhile for anything to get done.

Wu Shen

Post by Wu Shen » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:40 am

I appreciate the replies. I first tried looking at signatures in posts, but that seemed sort of hit-or-miss. Not understanding the topics doesn't help, as I'm not sure if a particular discussion is pertinent to my needs.

My situation is complicated, or at least it seems that way to me. I need a developer who can build a system, that will likely involve one or more modifications, and it requires continuing integration with an entirely different system. That's about as much detail as I can provide in a public forum.

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:11 am

Wu Shen wrote:I know that it is against the rules here to ask for referrals to paid developers. Also, I know that the general purpose of this site is for DIY programmers. However, is it possible to discuss techniques one might use to search for a developer?
First, did you read the [README] Scam warning / Good practices for hiring developers Announcement topic?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Wu Shen

Post by Wu Shen » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:09 am

Yes, actually I did read that before posting. It seems to be about vetting a paid developer after you've located one, but before actually hiring one. I'm still at the stage of how to locate a few good possibilities. I haven't received any email solicitations, spam or otherwise.

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:49 pm

Sadly, there is no really good way (other than maybe Google). You can't search the Member List by signature, so you're stuck with dumb luck trying to find somebody here.

Read my Why Is Recruiting Against the Rules? topic for suggestions about having a "Projects" forum and post any suggestions there.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”