Who owns automod?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
ajointventure

Who owns automod?

Post by ajointventure » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:42 pm

I have scoured these forum pages for days and come across innumerable people having nothing but trouble installing automod. Support moderators are on the level of programmers talking to school children when it comes to explanations. “Move it to the root folder” doesn’t mean anything to most people. Sure they can always pay to have installs done, but then why would we even need a support forum? Go straight to a paid install model. Questions answered by questions from support simple serve to frustrate an already upset phpBB user. What has happened to the community spirit here? Here are a few questions that should be very simple to answer regarding the automod plugin.

1.) Who coded it?
2.) Who owns it?
3.) How much does it cost?
4.) If it’s free why isn’t it included within the phpBB3 download already installed?

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Who owns automod?

Post by Brf » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:01 pm

I am not sure what your question is.
By definition, phpBB comes with no mods, since a mod is a modification of the standard code.
Automod is a mod, so therefore phpBB would not come with it.

As for the cost, all of the downloads from here are free.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:31 pm

as I have said many times. if you want a simply plug and play bulletin board phpbb may not be for you.

anytime you have a web site whether it is for a bulletin board or a blog or just simple web pages, you have to learn the basics of how to manage it.

those basics inlcude how to use ftp, how to create a database etc.

they also include understanding a bit about how the server structure works, like what the root of your server is.

this place is not where you come to learn all of that. you should know at least those basics before you attempt to install something like phpbb.

I think the people that help here normally do a really good job of answering questions in the simplest way possible.

you have to remember that of the many, many thousands of phpbb users, only the few that have a problem show up here. I would bet that most of those people are just making simply mistakes and usually that means they did not read and follow the simple instructions provided.

what I see is people not even paying attention to the answers they are given and doing something totally different from what they are told.

If you get instructions from those of us that know what they are doing, then you should always follow them exactly. do not do anything that is not in the instructions and do everything that is in the instructions.

If you follow that path, you will not have any problems in 99% of the cases.

and finally, we have to assume that the user has at least a little common sense even if that is not always the case.

luck,
robert
I am going to be out of town and off line for a week . see ya when I get back.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

ajointventure

Post by ajointventure » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:40 pm

Thank you Sir

You managed to answer the third question. You attempted to answer the last question which is completely irrelevant without answering the first two questions. Do you not have any idea of who the author is and if the code is theirs?

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:25 am

Automod is a group project. As such, it does not have a single "author". It is licensed under GNU, so it has no "owner".

It's original author was Tumba25 according to automod's description page https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/offi ... l/automod/

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:18 am

AutoMOD is for phpBB3 what EasyMOD was for phpBB2. The first reference I could find to the term "AutoMOD" by a phpBB team member was on May 13th, 2003, although the current system was dubbed "AutoMOD" in 2008.

tumba25 is current Lord Commander of AutoMOD, however it has had quite a number of past contributors, namely A_Jelly_Doughnut.

It is a MOD Team project, and the owner of the name is, for all intents and purposes, the phpBB Project. It is released under the GNU GPL, so the ownership does not make much of a difference to end users.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

Ger
Recognised Extension Developer

Post by Ger » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:12 am

ajointventure wrote:4.) If it’s free why isn’t it included within the phpBB3 download already installed?
For the same reason every other language pack, style and MOD isn't included in the default download. There are more than a thousand free contributions in the customizations database. Including all them by default is insanity.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:
-Available for custom work-

ajointventure

Post by ajointventure » Wed May 01, 2013 12:05 am

Ger wrote:
ajointventure wrote:4.) If it’s free why isn’t it included within the phpBB3 download already installed?
For the same reason every other language pack, style and MOD isn't included in the default download. There are more than a thousand free contributions in the customizations database. Including all them by default is insanity.
Thanks for your contribution Ger. However, I must say you have missed the point completely. One post said automod was done by one person and contributed by the "phpBB Group" Unless I'm missing something very fundamental, automod was specifically designed to help, assist, make easier - the upload and install of any of the thousand mods developed by individuals. If it (automod) is indeed part of the core group, all I'm saying is why not ship it with phpBB3? Therefore it becomes another attractive feature. Automod has nothing whatsoever to do with thousands of free mods and language packs.

I think it's probably best to put this to bed seeing that the topic is pretty low on everybody's radar. Thanks for providing your views guy's. Hey! That's what forums are for right?

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction » Wed May 01, 2013 2:24 am

There has been discussion about including Automod in a phpBB 3.0 release on Area51:
http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 81&t=43021

ajointventure

Post by ajointventure » Wed May 01, 2013 8:18 pm

Finally!

Thank you EXreaction. Your link to the area 51 page was brilliant. As I understand now, this has been a thorn of contention for years. "Automod is buggy, needs re-writing and should (or probably never will) be shipped with phpBB" and has been for a long time begs the question why did I just spend hours trying to get automod to load on my site?

There seems to be a disconnect between core developers like Oleg and those who's responsibility it is to design the website and promote phpBB. For goodness sakes if it's broke don't have it anywhere on your promotional website. It's disappointing but I am glad I brought this up because I have promoted automod to several friends.

Oh well!

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed May 01, 2013 8:21 pm

not sure where you got the idea that it is so buggy.

I have been using it for years and it works just fine. some MODs do not install very well with it, and it is certainly not perfect. However, many thousands of people ( including me ) use it every day with no problems at all.

If you are having that much trouble installing it, then either you are making some type of basic mistakes or there is something really strange about the server you are trying to install it on.

luck,
robert
I am going to be out of town and off line for a week . see ya when I get back.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Oleg
Former Team Member

Post by Oleg » Sat May 04, 2013 4:12 am

ajointventure wrote:Finally!

Thank you EXreaction. Your link to the area 51 page was brilliant. As I understand now, this has been a thorn of contention for years. "Automod is buggy, needs re-writing and should (or probably never will) be shipped with phpBB" and has been for a long time begs the question why did I just spend hours trying to get automod to load on my site?
There are 3 ways of applying code changes:

1. Via patch files. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patch_(Unix).

2. Via manual instructions. This is what gets posted on the forums here most of the time.

3. Via automod, which is a program that essentially applies manual instructions.

If you do not want to use automod, you can apply changes manually yourself. I wish I could say you could apply them via patch files but the overwhelming majority of modification authors are not able to produce the patch files.
There seems to be a disconnect between core developers like Oleg and those who's responsibility it is to design the website and promote phpBB. For goodness sakes if it's broke don't have it anywhere on your promotional website. It's disappointing but I am glad I brought this up because I have promoted automod to several friends.

Oh well!
Automod is not ideal. We are trying to solve the real problem (extension and modification of standard phpbb functionality) better via extensions in 3.1. Until that is done, you just have to pick one of the available tools.
Participate in phpBB development: Get involved | Issue tracker | Report a bug | Development board | [url=irc://chat.freenode.net/phpbb-dev]Development IRC chat[/url]
My stuff: mindlinkgame.com

Return to “phpBB Discussion”