phpBB or MyBB

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
nilanko
Name: Nilanko Halder

phpBB or MyBB

Post by nilanko »

So, I have a serious question to ask. My friend recently launched a forum. And he's using MyBB forum software. I suggested him to switch over to phpBB cuz I had never used MyBB. He said he read reviews that said MyBB is 10 times better than phpBB. This made my jaws fall apart and I was stunned.

I immediately Googled to find whatever he said was true. I found a MyBB demo and gave a shot to the control panel. It seemed awesome. Lots of good features like WYSIWYG editor, reputation system, easy plug and play plugin installation (no hours of code editing, and AutoMod is not always accurate and can break things apart). i spent months on adding these features to my phpBB forum (still adding them :oops: ) - and there this MyBB already has everything!

So, I wanna ask, which is actually better? See, once all plugins/mods are installed, then phpBB is as easy to manage as MyBB I suppose, so it's just the initial setup stage where MyBB wins the race IMO.

Which is better in terms of security, SEO, usability, and manageability?

And yes, is phpBB easy to hack? Some years ago, one well known Indian magazine company was running a phpbb3 forum. It had a large user base and I had almost 1500 posts in it when it was suddenly hacked to oblivion. It was gone. Database destroyed. Later they declared to the public that some Pakistani hacker group killed their forum. They never restarted their forum.

I just need some UNBIASED reviews on this topic.
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Re: phpBB or MyBB

Post by Paul »

nilanko wrote:I just need some UNBIASED reviews on this topic.
And you think this is the right place to ask the question? I dont think you will get any other answer as phpBB is better here ;).
nilanko

Post by nilanko »

And yes, is phpBB easy to hack?
Can these be answered?
Arty
Former Team Member
Name: Vjacheslav Trushkin

Post by Arty »

nilanko wrote:

Can these be answered?
There are no known security issues and haven't been for many years. Unlike myBB, which had security issues just a month ago and has been plagued by security updates several times a year.

SEO is ok.

Can't answer usability and manageability because I've never actually used myBB on live forum.
Vjacheslav Trushkin / Arty.
Free phpBB 3.1 styles | New project: Iconify - modern SVG framework
nilanko

Post by nilanko »

Arty wrote:
nilanko wrote:

Can these be answered?
There are no known security issues and haven't been for many years. Unlike myBB, which had security issues just a month ago and has been plagued by security updates several times a year.

SEO is ok.

Can't answer usability and manageability because I've never actually used myBB on live forum.
this was very pleasing to know. Security is all I want.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

and just to set things straight. installation of phpbb takes at most an hour and that is only if your hosting is setup very strangely.

it is only 4 steps;

1. download the phpbb files from here to your computer
2. unzip and upload them to your server
3. create a database using your hosting control panel
4. go to the install page where you uploaded the phpbb files and click buttons and fill in the blanks.

done.

you can't compare what you have been doing to a normal install and operation.

you have been trying to use phpbb is ways that it was never intended to be used.
you have been trying to use out of date styles
you have been trying to do these types of things on free hosting

etc, etc. etc.

not exactly what most people do with phpbb.

also, compared to the total number of phpbb users around the world, then number that come here with problems is very very small.

Some of the things you think are such great additions like the WYSIWYG editor, I find completely a waste of time and space in a bulletin board.

point is that like the old saying goes " beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

robert

p.s.

go to mybb support and ask them which is better and why. I seriously doubt you will find anyone that will tell you phpbb is better.
:lol:
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Post by Jessica »

Personally I think MyBB is awful. Sure, it's easy to install plugins but there aren't many good ones and the default style is ugly. It does have advantages but overall phpBB is WAY better (even SMF is better).
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
neizvelebiliziran

Post by neizvelebiliziran »

phpBB is better, but MyBB is easier to use.
5hocK

Post by 5hocK »

phpBB is far better than MyBB, true that MyBB is easy to use and therefore easier for novices but once you hit a certain level of competence then phpBB is superior in all aspects. You can modify the MODs etc to your own liking for example; something you don't learn with MyBB simply because you never have to get used to manually handling it's code.
The downside and probably what puts people off phpBB is the struggle to get to that level of competence - all it takes is to install one MOD badly, find there's no support for whatever reason (no replies from the support section of that MOD for instance) and have to scrap the whole phpBB experience and look for another platform.
For me personally though, phpBB is easily the better option if you're willing to stick with it and don't mind re-installing a few test boards along the way.
A thread is pretty much a topic. Stop with the pedantics will ya.
nilanko

Post by nilanko »

It was very pleasing to read all the replies but one thing is that - phpBB should consider for a WYSIWYG editor - be it a light one so that it does not slow down page loads. This part is quite important when you have plans to posts well formatted and good looking posts and all you get is non-interactive BBcode buttons which people generally don't like unless all they need is to post plain text with almost no formatting. Formatting posts with a non WYSIWYG editor is a hectic task. This fact can't be denied. ;)
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

nilanko wrote:It was very pleasing to read all the replies but one thing is that - phpBB should consider for a WYSIWYG editor - be it a light one so that it does not slow down page loads. This part is quite important when you have plans to posts well formatted and good looking posts and all you get is non-interactive BBcode buttons which people generally don't like unless all they need is to post plain text with almost no formatting. Formatting posts with a non WYSIWYG editor is a hectic task. This fact can't be denied. ;)
you must remember, that is your opinion. many users consider it not needed at all and just bloat.

many uses think that a bulletin board/discussion board is just that, a place to have discussions and "formatting" of the text, other than the basics, is simply not needed.
I would be willing to bet that most of the millions (?) of phpbb users don't even use the bbcodes that are built in very often. The only ones I use here is the code and quote ones.

point is that this has been discussed over and over and what remains is that a wysiwyg editor is just like many of the other MODs available in that what one person thinks is the most important thing in the world will have absolutely no meaning for another.

That is one of the great things about phpbb, you get the basic bulletin board and then you can add anything you want to it to suit what YOU think is needed for YOUR board.

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff »

Aside from what Lumpy said about this being you opinion, there is an extensive discussion on including one in 4.0 (which, mind you, is a LONG way off). You can read the discussion here. There are alot of problems or obstacles that must be overcome also (as one user pointed out, what happens to custom BBCodes that are added to the board and how does such an editor support them?).

Personally, I have no need or want for such an editor and find it to be a bell/whistle that is unneeded.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.
nilanko

Post by nilanko »

Everyone is right on their part but when one decides to post tutorials and guides, those of course need to be well formatted. This brings in the need for such an editor. In fact, all other board software already have such editors built in. Obviously, there must be some reason.

Since almost no one seems to support my idea and finding a perfect mod is impossible, I decided to make my own mod and have been quite successful with integrating SCEditor into my board till now and works pretty well.

Here's a screenshot:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (45.08 KiB) Viewed 22161 times
DionDesigns

Post by DionDesigns »

nilanko wrote:Everyone is right on their part but when one decides to post tutorials and guides, those of course need to be well formatted. This brings in the need for such an editor.
IMO it demonstrates the need for a built-in "Publishers" usergroup that can use HTML when creating a topic. Adding this would require an AJAX-based preview to insure the page doesn't get messed up beyond recognition if something was wrong with the HTML.
nilanko wrote:In fact, all other board software already have such editors built in. Obviously, there must be some reason.
Peer pressure? :lol: Seriously, do any of these WYSIWYG editors properly handle quotes and code blocks? I haven't looked that closely, but the ones I've seen do not -- which IMO defeats the purpose of using such an editor in phpBB.

Back to the original topic of MyBB vs. phpBB. If phpBB was easier to install/maintain and had an easier-to-understand admin panel, MyBB would have never been written. MyBB meets a need for those who want a board they can install and maintain with little to no knowledge of the product itself.

When phpBB was created more than 12 years ago, the ability to own your own board was limited to geek types. But times have changed, and today, pretty much anyone can create and/or own a discussion board. phpBB is still being developed for geeks, and the support staff here is forced to assume a "geek-level" knowledge of its customers that in many/most cases doesn't exist. So there will continue to be a (growing) market for MyBB.

One final comment. If the MyBB developers get their product to the point where they pass a security audit, phpBB is toast.
Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Post by Danielx64 »

One thing that I didn't like about MyBB was that the permission system wasn't that powerful unlike phpBB.
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”