phpbb vs vbulletin

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
globalsign
Registered User
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:39 am

phpbb vs vbulletin

Post by globalsign » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:51 am

Hello guys new guy here just wanted to ask the difference between phpbb and vbulletin. I have existing sites that I wanted to integrate with forum I just want to know the advantage of using phpbb platform compared vbulletin because we are planning to run it with drupal.
Last edited by KevC on Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed small font

User avatar
Jessica
Former Team Member
Posts: 4342
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:53 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Name: Jessica
Contact:

Re: phpbb vs vbulletin

Post by Jessica » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:07 pm

One advantage of phpBB over vBulletin is that it's free. vBulletin costs a LOT of money.
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

Big-Jim
Registered User
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:54 pm

Re: phpbb vs vbulletin

Post by Big-Jim » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:46 am

As far as I am concerned, cost is not an advantage, it is a merely a consideration. In order for the software to be effective, it needs to be able to do what you want it to do. If it turns out the software that meets your needs is free, that's great, but cost alone should not be the determining factor. You need to get the software that does the things you want it to do. If you settle for something less simply because it is free you will not happy with it.

User avatar
Lumpy Burgertushie
Registered User
Posts: 66565
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 3:11 am
Contact:

Re: phpbb vs vbulletin

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:22 am

however, in many , if not most, cases. phpbb will do everything that vb will do and it is free.

also, in many , if not most cases, cost is a factor for people.

for instance, I would not never started with bulletin boards had I not found this free phpbb.
I couldn't then , nor can I now, afford to spend a hundred dollars or more on a piece of bulletin board software.


robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

User avatar
keithpotz
Registered User
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:12 am
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: phpbb vs vbulletin

Post by keithpotz » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:32 pm

Me personally it's the ease of use. I don't like being confused and when I tried the vBuliten software it was just too hard for me to use. I like phpBB and the ease of use that it provides. The customization and user management is awesome.
Plus like everyone else has said before I cannot afford nor will I buy a piece of forum software.
Just not my thing.
phpBB Community Liaison for Arvixe Web Hosting

Pony99CA
Registered User
Posts: 4783
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: Hollister, CA
Name: Steve
Contact:

Re: phpbb vs vbulletin

Post by Pony99CA » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:29 pm

Big-Jim wrote:As far as I am concerned, cost is not an advantage, it is a merely a consideration. In order for the software to be effective, it needs to be able to do what you want it to do. If it turns out the software that meets your needs is free, that's great, but cost alone should not be the determining factor.
Your argument is incorrect on two sides.

First, if two products do what you need, having the lower cost certainly is an advantage.

Second, cost is often a determining factor. If all of the packages that do exactly what you want cost more than your budget allows, you either have to scrap the project or adjust your requirements so that other, cheaper packages allow you to get the project done (albeit at a reduced scope).

But we've debated that before. ;)

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Big-Jim
Registered User
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:54 pm

Re: phpbb vs vbulletin

Post by Big-Jim » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:52 am

You are correct, we have discussed this before. You were wrong then, and you are wrong now.

User avatar
Arty
Former Team Member
Posts: 16654
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2002 2:36 pm
Name: Vjacheslav Trushkin
Contact:

Re: phpbb vs vbulletin

Post by Arty » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:48 am

vBulletin? Why would you want to use that horrible software? Forum owners are switching away from it to other software in masses. Since release of version 4 (and now 5) vBulletin has been nothing but total mess. Bugs are everywhere. vB owners are no longer concerned about quality of product, they are only interested in making fast buck and then leaving forum owners to deal with mess.

If you do want to use commercial software, use XenForo or IPB, ether of them is miles better than vB.
Vjacheslav Trushkin / Arty.
Free phpBB 3.1 styles | New project: Iconify - modern SVG framework

User avatar
bcousins
Registered User
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:02 am
Name: Ben Cousins

Re: phpbb vs vbulletin

Post by bcousins » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:42 am

Arty wrote:XenForo
Even that is crap. I mean, come on.

stevenmw
Registered User
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:17 am

Re: phpbb vs vbulletin

Post by stevenmw » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:12 pm

Pony99CA wrote:
Big-Jim wrote:As far as I am concerned, cost is not an advantage, it is a merely a consideration. In order for the software to be effective, it needs to be able to do what you want it to do. If it turns out the software that meets your needs is free, that's great, but cost alone should not be the determining factor.
Your argument is incorrect on two sides.

First, if two products do what you need, having the lower cost certainly is an advantage.

Second, cost is often a determining factor. If all of the packages that do exactly what you want cost more than your budget allows, you either have to scrap the project or adjust your requirements so that other, cheaper packages allow you to get the project done (albeit at a reduced scope).

This is correct. First off, big-jim, you said the word 'determining.' Cost can often be the determining factor. As explained by Pony above.

Cost may not be an initial concern when doing researching to see what you should spend, but in the end it will matter and help determine a decision.

As far and phpBB vs Vbulletin. I'm not going to lie, VBulletin 5 is pretty nice. I'm not sure about the level of bugs as mentioned above because I only tested it briefly. The down fall though is that is has a lot of extras with it. The beauty of phpBB is that you get just what you need to get yourself off of the ground. Then there is so much support and documentation that modifying it to fit your needs is simple.

My favorite thing about phpBB is the number of people contributing. It is this great project where everyone just comes together to make it better simply to make it better and share. Not to make money. It's about putting out something for everyone to use.

Big-Jim
Registered User
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:54 pm

Re: phpbb vs vbulletin

Post by Big-Jim » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:51 am

Did anybody actually read what I wrote? I said if the software that does what you need it to do is free, then that is wonderful, by all means, use it. But if the free software does NOT do what you need it to do, then you should be looking at different software. I never said cost was not something to be considered, obviously cost is always a consideration. But cost alone should not be the determining factor. I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, but If you must use free software that doesn't do what you need it to do simply because it is free, then maybe you should be looking for something else to do instead.

Look, everyone is entitled to their opinion, so you can voice whatever you feel is right. But the thing is, when you want to use a piece of software, you want the software to do what you need it to do. My whole point is this, if you settle for software that does NOT do what you need it to do, just because it is free, you will not be happy with it.

Pony99CA
Registered User
Posts: 4783
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:13 pm
Location: Hollister, CA
Name: Steve
Contact:

Re: phpbb vs vbulletin

Post by Pony99CA » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:59 am

Big-Jim wrote:Did anybody actually read what I wrote?
I did, including the childish shot about me being wrong. (I actually thought of saying that, too, but was the "bigger" man, I guess :lol:).

Plus, you didn't even say what was wrong. Was I wrong by saying that lower cost was an advantage if all products did what you need? Or was I wrong by saying that cost is often a determining factor? Unless you can show how one of those statements was incorrect, then I wasn't wrong (at least not this time).
Big-Jim wrote: Look, everyone is entitled to their opinion, so you can voice whatever you feel is right.
I did, but you still said that I was wrong. :roll:
Big-Jim wrote: But the thing is, when you want to use a piece of software, you want the software to do what you need it to do. My whole point is this, if you settle for software that does NOT do what you need it to do, just because it is free, you will not be happy with it.
Now who's not reading? I didn't say that people were using phpBB "just because it is free". I suspect many people are using it because it's "good enough" and free.

Consider a pathological case. Software A does 95% of what you need and costs $100 (an amount that fits in your budget). Software B, the only competitor, does 100% of what you need, but costs $100,000 (which is WAY outside of your budget). Do you:

1) Go with Software A and trim your requirements?

2) Take out a second mortgage on your house to get Software B?

3) Scrap the project entirely because you won't be "happy" with Software A and can't afford Software B?

I think that many people would choose option 1. If you do, too, then cost was one of the determining factors (the other was that Software A was "good enough", albeit not perfect). If you wouldn't choose option 1, maybe you don't see shades of gray, only black and white.

You can argue that the extra 5% weren't really "needs" then, but were "wants". However, oftentimes it's those "wants" that are what make us happiest, not the "needs". I don't "need" a Porsche that goes 195 mph, but I'd be really happy if I had one. :D

Or perhaps there's a workaround that lets you do the job with Software A. Suppose that the feature that Software A was missing was the ability to automatically create end-of-month activity reports. Maybe I could write a CRON script that ran and generated those reports instead. It wouldn't be Software A doing it, but that might be good enough. Worst case, maybe you set a reminder in Outlook to run Software A's reporting module every month. You might not be "happy" doing that, but you might be happier than spending $99,900 more or not doing the job at all.

Nobody is ever happy about compromises, but most of us have to make them in many parts of lives. Software is often just one of those things.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Big-Jim
Registered User
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:54 pm

Re: phpbb vs vbulletin

Post by Big-Jim » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:16 am

Apparently you are now trying to justify your position by making up some ridiculous cost for forum software. The last time I checked a new license for vBulletin costs $249 or if you already have it you can get an upgrade for $209. I never said vBulletin was great forum software, and there are several other choices of forum software out there besides vBulletin. In fact, if vBulletin doesn't fit your needs, you can get XenForo for $140, which is even less than vBulletin. So I guess your $100,000 price tag for forum software is a little bit off the mark.

You can say whatever you want and you can have whatever opinion you want. As far as I am concerned, with the price of forum software being relatively inexpensive, if you cannot afford the price of software that does what you need it to do, then I question whether you should even have a forum. But if using software that isn't capable of doing what you need it to do is what you really want to do, then I say "go for it" and I wish you all the best. Again, I am not saying phpBB is not any good, if it meets your needs, that's great. But if it doesn't meet your needs, then you need to look elsewhere in order to find something that DOES meet your needs.

As for myself, if I can find free software that is capable of doing what I need to do, I am a happy camper. If I can't find free stuff that will fit my needs, then I will buy the software I need in order to do the project I have in mind. If I can't afford the software and it is something I HAVE to have, then I will take out a loan in order to buy it. If I can't get a loan, then the project is either dead, or it is at a standstill until such time as I CAN get a loan, or until I can find a partner with deep pockets. But in any case using software that isn't capable of doing what I need to do is nothing more than an exercise in futility. My time is far too valuable to waste trying to make a piece of software work that was never meant to do what I need it to do.

stevenmw
Registered User
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:17 am

Re: phpbb vs vbulletin

Post by stevenmw » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:43 am

big-jim, just try out the two and compare. Here are two links to try out both phpBB and VBulletin

Big-Jim
Registered User
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:54 pm

Re: phpbb vs vbulletin

Post by Big-Jim » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:17 pm

Steve, I am not starting a forum or anything like that so at the moment I am not even interested in forum software. But for some strange reason there are people out there who feel that cost is the main reason for choosing something, whether it is software, tools, vehicles, or whatever. I was just pointing that while cost is certainly a consideration, cost alone should not be the primary reason for choosing which product to use. Finding a product that does what you need it to do is by far the most important thing. If that product happens to be free, so much the better and by all means, use it. But whatever the case you need to get a product that is capable of doing what you need it to do.

Locked

Return to “phpBB Discussion”