phpbb vs vbulletin

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
martin123456
I've Been Banned!

Re: phpbb vs vbulletin

Post by martin123456 »

I own VB software (some one has too) but use phpbb.

Why do i use phpbb over VB well the VB acp is junk everything about VB is junk support is junk most addons are junk plus on a side note who in the he?l is wanting to pay for some addons that really arn't up to the job.

install phpbb and its W3c valid
install VB and it fails hard but yet it's a paid software work that out.

So to sum it up IT'S JUNK

Code: Select all

<!-- IF S_CODE_UNTIDY and S_MESS_ON_INDEX Good If_Not_TIDY_Then_SUBMIT -->
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

Big-Jim wrote:Apparently you are now trying to justify your position by making up some ridiculous cost for forum software.
No, I was trying to point out that your position was flawed with a (stated) pathological case. It had nothing to do with forum software.
Big-Jim wrote:The last time I checked a new license for vBulletin costs $249 or if you already have it you can get an upgrade for $209. I never said vBulletin was great forum software, and there are several other choices of forum software out there besides vBulletin. In fact, if vBulletin doesn't fit your needs, you can get XenForo for $140, which is even less than vBulletin.
For forum software, those prices aren't horrible, but for somebody starting out (like a student), even $140 may be a bit much. However, if a cheaper (or free) solution does most of what they want, perhaps they have some time to spend to work around the limitations of the software. Your time may be too valuable to spend doing that (I wouldn't know), but that may not be the case for others.

In fact, for a student learning computer science, phpBB being open source and free might actually be an advantage. They can learn to add the function that they need, thereby increasing their programming skills. Or a skilled programmer starting a forum may figure that they can add the missing function while learning about the software in depth. Sure, the value of their time spent may be more than the cost of the other software, but there is something to be said for being an expert with your tools.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
Big-Jim

Post by Big-Jim »

OK fine, have it your way, it doesn't matter if the software does what you need it to do or not, as long as it is free it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

Big-Jim wrote:OK fine, have it your way, it doesn't matter if the software does what you need it to do or not, as long as it is free it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Still having reading problems, I see. My pathological example specifically used two pieces of software that cost money.

I agree with you that free (or cost in general) isn't the only factor that's important. My points are that it can be a deciding factor if more than one thing meets your needs, and it can be an important factor if all of the software that meets all of your needs is too expensive and there's a cheaper package that is "good enough".

I don't understand why you can't get that. Not everybody values their time as highly as you seem to value yours.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
Big-Jim

Post by Big-Jim »

Whatever . . . .
marian0810
Former Team Member
Name: Marian

Post by marian0810 »

Yeah I think that's enough for now, this topic was not meant for you two to discuss your personal differences.

To the OP: I suggest you check out these links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... m_software
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2035205
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2112389
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1997375
You and me, time and space. You watch us run!

Return to “phpBB Discussion”