[Discuss] Introducing "phpBB Ideas"!

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Re: [Discuss] Introducing phpBB Ideas!

Post by RMcGirr83 »

He's saying that the forum is simply just a backend that will contain the ideas. It's not meant to be used for viewing or commenting the ideas.
Then that begs the question of the purpose of having the ideas posted into a forum to begin with. Titania certainly doesn't do this, as far as I am aware, with support requests on mods. How is this different than ideas?
Once again, we have released something positive that the community has been requesting for years, and once again the exactly predicable few of you are nitpicking. It stopped being clever ages ago, and we will simply not tolerate toxic behavior here anymore.

If all you do is complain and whine, go elsewhere or just stop commenting in these discussion topics. To label slightly-off permissions settings as "Poor programming" is demagoguery off my scale. And you know better, of course, because you understand exactly what happened. Consider this your very final warning.

And yes, I really mean it.
It isn't just the slightly-off permissions settings, it is the duplication of code, the js errors, etc. You, the collective phpBB, released a new feature of the website and provided a link to github for the code in use. It appears no one did any sort of testing on said code and by providing that code via github does a disservice to those users who may have downloaded it and installed it on their forums. It wasn't stated that it was Alpha/Beta or RC so one can only assume that the code provided was/is final.

Whether I am correct in my statement or not on the testing is immaterial, it is the perception that phpBB is giving to end users of the software that should be your main concern.

For what it's worth, I see no where in my posts where I, if you are referring to me, was "nitpicking", "whining" or whatever other adjective you want to use. I asked questions concerning the code. If that isn't allowed then it should be stated.

and concerning this
... and once again the exactly predicable few of you are nitpicking.
That is probably due to no one else actually giving a crap about this or the phpBB project itself. If all you are looking for is flowers and sunshine then provide solid, predictable, reliable code/features that is above scrutiny and is infallible.

Seriously Yuriy, you need to get over yourself and if I am banned for this statement then so be it.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae »

Christian 2.0 wrote:
DavidIQ wrote:Quit trying to stir up trouble please.
Marshalrusty wrote:once again the exactly predicable few of you are nitpicking
Huh? :shock:

I hope you guys aren't referring to me. I've been pretty positive regarding this system since the announcement and shared some suggestions in a constructive manner. I didn't think bringing a legitimate permissions issue to light would be considered nitpicking. David, Apologies for the accusation thing, mis-interpreted your post.

Further to sharing my suggestions a few pages ago, last night I actually cloned the phpbb-ideas repo and have spent the last hour or so mocking up some front-end updates with a view to pushing them ideally before Callum gets online.
That looks awesome, I didn't think to do it like that! Thanks :D
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

Well with that being said...
callumacrae wrote:When the duplicate function is removed, in posting.php when trying to open Font colours:

I just realized that the reason forum_fn.js doesn't get included outside of /community/ is because we have some code in overall_header.html here on phpbb.com that will not load the file when not in /community/. That would explain why you ended up having to duplicate the function. Otherwise without those modifications to overall_header.html forum_fn.js would indeed be included on every page.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Post by PlanetStyles.net »

callumacrae wrote: That looks awesome, I didn't think to do it like that! Thanks :D
Why thank you. :)

I'll also be incorporating the green/red thumbs somehow into the arrow up/down display. Playing with ideas...will push out later so you can have a look. :)
Kamahl19
Name: Martin

Post by Kamahl19 »

I prefer using topics/posts mechanism as much as possible. It is not goot to reinvent the wheel, create new posting mechanism and new tables.. I have created really huge websites, blogs and even newspapers based on phpBB topics mechanism. So why create new table.
Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Post by Danielx64 »

DavidIQ wrote:
*Daniel wrote:So would that mean that there is no more hidden forum for it? Or not quite?
The forum would still be there but it can remain completely hidden/invisible. With separate permissions for Ideas they could be named more appropriately instead of going by "Can view forum", etc. Using already existing tables doesn't sound like a bad idea at all, which is what Kamahl19 said. What was done in Titania is really almost a mirror duplication of the posts table and for this it seems like it would end up being the same so why not just use what is already there. Even the UMIL installer could take care of creating the forum.
If the UMIL installer could take care of creating that forum and setting the permissions, that would be awsome.

While we are at it, could we move the templates into the /phpBB3/styles/prosilver/template/idea/ folder? then that we one can use the header and footer from their board? I did that last night and most of it work, just some small issues that need to be sorted out.

Example, the ACP link is not showing up on the footer for some reason when you are on the idea homepage but it does when you are viewing an idea.

Also with some other changes I can get the Ideas Home in the breadcrumb to only show up while I'm in the Ideas area.

Let me know if you would like to know how I did it as I am willing to share some codes.
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

If you're able to work with github the best thing to do would be to send a PR for those changes. Otherwise the changes can be shared through a gist or pastebin.
Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

DavidIQ wrote:If you're able to work with github the best thing to do would be to send a PR for those changes. Otherwise the changes can be shared through a gist or pastebin.

Do I post the entire file via pastebin or just do find and replace with type statement like you do with automod?
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Find and replace commands would probably be better.
Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

DavidIQ wrote:Find and replace commands would probably be better.

Alright then I'll do it that way then :) And I'll start fresh as I did make a bit of a mess while playing around with it :)
Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

Ok I'm not sure if this is going to work, https://gist.github.com/Danielx386/6017439

I also got find and replace with edits in a text file if that going to be any better.

Please note that the template files will need to be edited as well and that will be done in a different post as that more complex.

Edit: here the pastebin link: http://pastebin.com/nrLF7hyr

PR: https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb-ideas/pull/2

I don't know if I done it right :'(

Update: please check the pull request that I made, I think I got it.
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Looks good to me. Callum will have to review it further to make sure what we have here doesn't blow up. Nice work. :geek:
Danielx64

Post by Danielx64 »

DavidIQ wrote:Looks good to me. Callum will have to review it further to make sure what we have here doesn't blow up. Nice work. :geek:
Thank you :) there is still more that need to be done (creating auto mod file) but I am getting there :)
Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Post by Jessica »

Christian 2.0 wrote:
DavidIQ wrote:Quit trying to stir up trouble please.
Marshalrusty wrote:once again the exactly predicable few of you are nitpicking
Huh? :shock:

I hope you guys aren't referring to me. I've been pretty positive regarding this system since the announcement and shared some suggestions in a constructive manner. I didn't think bringing a legitimate permissions issue to light would be considered nitpicking. David, Apologies for the accusation thing, mis-interpreted your post.

Further to sharing my suggestions a few pages ago, last night I actually cloned the phpbb-ideas repo and have spent the last hour or so mocking up some front-end updates with a view to pushing them ideally before Callum gets online.
I really like it! Is there any way you could provide those new buttons? I know you made a PR on Github...but I don't know how to get the images (buttons). And for "View All", is it a button too?
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Post by PlanetStyles.net »

Jessica wrote:I really like it!
Thanks Jessica :)
Jessica wrote: Is there any way you could provide those new buttons? I know you made a PR on Github...but I don't know how to get the images (buttons). And for "View All", is it a button too?
The images are part of the pull request (or should be), and will be included as and when Callum merges it. I got a little bit lazy by the time "view all" came around, so it's literally just the .forumbg class with some extra CSS to apply width, padding and to center it. :)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”