Are spam bots good?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
sal_jim

Are spam bots good?

Post by sal_jim »

Hi,
I have created a new forum. I am getting new spam bot registrations and spam post every day. Thank God they are in other languages(Mostly Japanese or Chinese and Russian) till now which helps me in deleting the post without reading it. I can't imagine how much will they start to bother when the forum content increases.

Are the registration of spam-bots good(if i keep deleting the posts) in the start of the forum as new human users can see number of registered users.

How could i implement the new user registration technique which phpbb.com is using:
Move the non-fruits into the column on the right
Please drag the options to the correct list, to avoid automated registrations.

Thanks,
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Are spam bots good?

Post by KevC »

No they are not.
Read this on how to stop them
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2122696

The one you're referring to is called the sortables captcha and is in the MOD Database under the customise menu at the top of this page.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
sal_jim

Post by sal_jim »

Kevin Clark wrote:No they are not.
Read this on how to stop them
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2122696

The one you're referring to is called the sortables captcha and is in the MOD Database under the customise menu at the top of this page.
Thank you very much for guiding me. :D I have applied the sortable captcha in my site. i wonder if it works in in registering from a mobile .

i have viewed your site; when registering it ask "Enter only the UPPER CASE letters from this code, followed by the word CAR" i think it's also a good option too. May be i will apply it if i am unsuccessful. I was using Captcha code earlier and they are useless.

Should i delete the registered spam bots in my forum(i had already blocked them permanently) or let them be there for a good number of registered users (currently only 72 including spambots)? :?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

As far as I know it's fine on mobile devices too.

On my site, although the upper case codes have been broken now, I use that two step system which is very effective. It's not complicated to understand but crucially the bots don't understand what they have to do.

You might as well delete the accounts. Banning them doesn't do much because they rarely register the same information twice. Having lots of accounts won't necessarily attract users. They're looking at content, not member numbers. If they see you have 100 users and only 5 posts then they'll realise they aren't real accounts anyway.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Return to “phpBB Discussion”