Discuss: phpBB 3.1 Alpha1 Preview Release

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
lord.nitos
Name: Filip Łapiński

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.1 Alpha1 Preview Release

Post by lord.nitos »

I think the extension system is good point, but too late for release it... Look, Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress they have it very very soonest like phpBB... But the great information is phpBB 3.1 alpha is released.

Good Luck!
Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Post by Danielx64 »

lord.nitos wrote:I think the extension system is good point, but too late for release it... Look, Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress they have it very very soonest like phpBB... But the great information is phpBB 3.1 alpha is released.

Good Luck!
I should point out that some of those groups are much bigger than this one so they got more coders.
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.
lord.nitos

Post by lord.nitos »

Anyone have link to Code Changes? I need information what changes in language files between 3.0.12 and 3.1.0 alpha1
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff »

Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.
lord.nitos

Post by lord.nitos »

Thanks, but im looking some like this

https://area51.phpbb.com/code-changes/3.0.11/

Okay, here is a instructions how to update styles files and lang files from 3.0.12 to 3.1.0a1

How to update language files

How to update prosilver theme files

How to update subsilver2 theme files
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I don't think there is an update path yet. this is just an alpha release. you should not use this at all except for a testing environment.
you should NOT try to update your live board to this new version. it is a completely new version it is really not an "update" as the 3.0.11 to 3.0.12 update was.

If you just want to test it out, then install a completely different board on your server for this.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Arty
Former Team Member
Name: Vjacheslav Trushkin

Post by Arty »

lord.nitos wrote:Okay, here is a instructions how to update styles files and lang files from 3.0.12 to 3.1.0a1
Don't do that!

It will mess up your old style because code has changed completely. It is easier to redo your style from 3.1 prosilver than apply that huge list of changes.

Also avoid using subsilver2 because it does not have a lot of new 3.1 functions (such as AJAX) and will not be included in final package. There is no excuse to use tables for layout these days.
Vjacheslav Trushkin / Arty.
Free phpBB 3.1 styles | New project: Iconify - modern SVG framework
Prosk8er
Name: Tyler

Post by Prosk8er »

I worked on updating a style from 3.0.12 to 3.1.0 it wasn't to bad you can see results here http://gotskillslounge.com/testing/phpb ... /index.php although I still have to fix some things.
styles with a lot of custom coding could be fun though
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

Ger wrote:I wonder: are there plans for a 3.1 extensions forum (and styles/general support for that matter) during the ALPHA phase so that people testing 3.1 and developing extensions have a place to help each other?
This will happen in due time, maybe shortly after a 3.1 Beta is released. For now any 3.1 extension questions need to be done over on Area 51.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

bprsk8r4272 wrote:I worked on updating a style from 3.0.12 to 3.1.0 it wasn't to bad you can see results here http://gotskillslounge.com/testing/phpb ... /index.php although I still have to fix some things.
what did you do about the fact that styles no longer have imageset in them ?

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

lord.nitos wrote:I think the extension system is good point, but too late for release it... Look, Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress they have it very very soonest like phpBB... But the great information is phpBB 3.1 alpha is released.
So because it's late, it shouldn't be released at all? :?
Arty wrote:Also avoid using subsilver2 because it does not have a lot of new 3.1 functions (such as AJAX) and will not be included in final package.

Say what? My understanding was that SubSilver would be in phpBB 3.1 (and probably be removed in 3.2). Originally it wasn't going to be in 3.1, but I thought that too many people complained and so it was going to be kept for one more release.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
Prosk8er
Name: Tyler

Post by Prosk8er »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
bprsk8r4272 wrote:I worked on updating a style from 3.0.12 to 3.1.0 it wasn't to bad you can see results here http://gotskillslounge.com/testing/phpb ... /index.php although I still have to fix some things.
what did you do about the fact that styles no longer have imageset in them ?

robert
they use theme/imageset.css and theme/en/imageset.css and the images go in theme/en/ and theme/images/
also I needed to make changes in bidi.css, buttons.css, colours.css, and links.css although every style will be different some of those may not need to be edited
I just need to mimic the original styles post reply, etc.. buttons now
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Pony99CA wrote:
Arty wrote:Also avoid using subsilver2 because it does not have a lot of new 3.1 functions (such as AJAX) and will not be included in final package.

Say what? My understanding was that SubSilver would be in phpBB 3.1 (and probably be removed in 3.2). Originally it wasn't going to be in 3.1, but I thought that too many people complained and so it was going to be kept for one more release.
No, originally subsilver2 was going to be abandoned. The "compromise" was to maintain it, but to offer it only as a second style, separately downloaded.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
akerd

Post by akerd »

Very good news, nice to see a new extension system that replace the tricky MODs system and a major usage of AJAX.
rxu
Extensions Development Team

Post by rxu »

On my localhost, for vanilla 3.0.12 index page time spent on PHP: ~0.09 s. For vanilla 3.1.0-a1: ~0.58 s.
Before the 1st SQL query the time spent on PHP is already ~0.38 s.
Time spent on SQL queries is almost the same ~0.005 s.
PHP 5.4.12.
Hmm.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”