phpBB T-Shirts

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
lord.nitos
Name: Filip Łapiński

phpBB T-Shirts

Post by lord.nitos »

Hi, i have a little question, the t-shirt apearl from Shop. There are any option for buy phpBB T-Shirt ?
Hayden Hill

Re: phpBB T-Shirts

Post by Hayden Hill »

That would be cool of there was a phpBB t-shirt on the market somewhere on the Internet. Bump!
Kris_TVPAKET

Post by Kris_TVPAKET »

why do you need that t-shirt ?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

Kris_TVPAKET wrote:why do you need that t-shirt ?
why do you want to put ads on your board?

because you want to.

he wants a tshirt because he wants one.

robert
anilkrsingh

Post by anilkrsingh »

It will be great if we can have a phpBB shirt. phpBB is a great community and if we have the shirt of it. It will be awesome!!
Vohix

Post by Vohix »

Why would you want one?
HagoromoOtsutsuki
Name: Hagoromo Otsutsuki

Post by HagoromoOtsutsuki »

Ill love one!
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty »

This is coming, actually. Albeit slowly.

For now, if you want one (or more), feel free to just PM me with "phpBB T-Shirt" in the subject and I will be happy to oblige. They're $8.50 each + shipping.
🇺🇦 Made in Ukraine, exported to the USA 🇺🇸

Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
Big-Jim

Post by Big-Jim »

Locally, there is a place where you can have anything you want put on a T-Shirt, or any kind of shirt for that matter. You can buy the shirt anyplace you want (alternatively, and no doubt preferably, you can buy the shirt from them) and they will make the logo and put it on the shirt. I don’t know what they charge for doing it, but I don’t think it is a fortune because a lot of business people get shirts from them to pass out for promotions, as do bowling teams and other team sports. If you have such a place locally you could check with them and see what it would cost.
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Marshalrusty »

Big-Jim wrote:Locally, there is a place where you can have anything you want put on a T-Shirt, or any kind of shirt for that matter. You can buy the shirt anyplace you want (alternatively, and no doubt preferably, you can buy the shirt from them) and they will make the logo and put it on the shirt. I don’t know what they charge for doing it, but I don’t think it is a fortune because a lot of business people get shirts from them to pass out for promotions, as do bowling teams and other team sports. If you have such a place locally you could check with them and see what it would cost.
The phpBB trademark is registered in the US and across the EU. So this would not only be unethical, but also illegal.

Big-Jim

Post by Big-Jim »

Marshalrusty wrote:The phpBB trademark is registered in the US and across the EU. So this would not only be unethical, but also illegal.
It would be illegal for someone to have on a T-Shirt "I have a phpBB forum" or something similar to that?
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Marshalrusty »

Big-Jim wrote:
Marshalrusty wrote:The phpBB trademark is registered in the US and across the EU. So this would not only be unethical, but also illegal.
It would be illegal for someone to have on a T-Shirt "I have a phpBB forum" or something similar to that?
Simply put, we must enforce our trademark and have done so in the past.

Now, that isn't because I don't want you walking around wearing a phpBB t-shirt. In fact, nothing would make me happier :)

Your local print shop will almost certainly ask you to verify that you own rights to everything that is being printed. If you were to write us a letter asking for permission to print a shirt for yourself, I would have to check with the lawyers, but doubt it would be any problem.

On the other hand, if you printed a bunch and started selling them, without receiving permission, you would find yourself on the business-end of a lawsuit.

Francoisjunior

Post by Francoisjunior »

I love it..... go go! nice idea I must say :D
Big-Jim

Post by Big-Jim »

Marshalrusty wrote: Simply put, we must enforce our trademark and have done so in the past.

Now, that isn't because I don't want you walking around wearing a phpBB t-shirt. In fact, nothing would make me happier :)

Your local print shop will almost certainly ask you to verify that you own rights to everything that is being printed. If you were to write us a letter asking for permission to print a shirt for yourself, I would have to check with the lawyers, but doubt it would be any problem.

On the other hand, if you printed a bunch and started selling them, without receiving permission, you would find yourself on the business-end of a lawsuit.
I don’t necessarily want a T-Shirt with phpBB on it, the opening poster does. I was just saying that we have a local place that does T-Shirts and other type shirts for all sorts of things.

I really don’t understand the law concerning this copyright thing. I mean, I never suggested the opening poster start a business selling phpBB T-Shirts. He wanted one for himself and I thought this would be a simple way to get one. But now that you have said what you did, I am even more confused. Basically what you are saying is that if anyone uses the phpBB name for anything, they are breaking the law. So if someone mentions to a friend they have a phpBB forum they are breaking the law? Or does it have to be in writing? What if I text someone I have a phpBB forum? Is that breaking the law too?

Maybe I am looking at this all wrong, but it seems to me that saying you have a phpBB forum on a shirt that you had made for yourself is not infringing on a trademark. There would be no intent to fraud anybody or use the phpBB name for personal gain. If anything wearing a shirt like that would be helping the phpBB developers by promoting their software. But again, I do not understand the law in that regard and it really doesn’t matter anyway because I am not planning on having any T-Shirts made up for myself, or to sell to others. It just seems weird to me that this would even be an issue. I guess it is sort of like if someone had a T-Shirt made up that says, “I own a GM vehicle and I love it”. I am not certain of this, but I rather doubt General Motors would even care if someone were to make up a bunch of those T-Shirts and sold them. After all, what better advertisement could they possibly get than a bunch of people walking around wearing a T-Shirt that says they love their GM vehicle?
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Marshalrusty »

Big-Jim wrote:I don’t necessarily want a T-Shirt with phpBB on it, the opening poster does. I was just saying that we have a local place that does T-Shirts and other type shirts for all sorts of things.

I really don’t understand the law concerning this copyright thing.
In this case, we're talking about trademarks, not copyrights, although the latter isn't totally irrelevant either.

Unfortunately, failure to enforce trademarks in the past can be used as justification for their unenforceability. We obviously want to maintain the rights. For example, if someone were to start selling phpBB using the name and logo, we would want to be able to do something about it. If you're curious about trademark law, there are tons of resources around the net.
Big-Jim wrote:But now that you have said what you did, I am even more confused. Basically what you are saying is that if anyone uses the phpBB name for anything, they are breaking the law. So if someone mentions to a friend they have a phpBB forum they are breaking the law? Or does it have to be in writing? What if I text someone I have a phpBB forum? Is that breaking the law too?
I'm not sure how anything I said even remotely puts into question whether you have the right to mention that you have a phpBB forum :)

If you can tell someone that you have an Apple iPad or a Dell computer, then you can tell them you have a phpBB forum. Actually, you can even sell Apple iPads and Dell computers and refer to them as such. That is kind of the point of trademarks. But, what you can't do is sell fake Apple products and refer to them as Apple products. You likewise cannot misrepresent that Apple or Dell (or whoever) are somehow endorsing your selling of their products. You can distribute phpBB and call it "phpBB" and use the logo, but if you start distributing some other product under that name, then it's trademark infringement. The purpose of a trademark is to protect the public from being mislead into believing that you are providing them with a product they recognize, when you're actually not.
Big-Jim wrote:Maybe I am looking at this all wrong, but it seems to me that saying you have a phpBB forum on a shirt that you had made for yourself is not infringing on a trademark. There would be no intent to fraud anybody or use the phpBB name for personal gain. If anything wearing a shirt like that would be helping the phpBB developers by promoting their software. But again, I do not understand the law in that regard and it really doesn’t matter anyway because I am not planning on having any T-Shirts made up for myself, or to sell to others. It just seems weird to me that this would even be an issue. I guess it is sort of like if someone had a T-Shirt made up that says, “I own a GM vehicle and I love it”. I am not certain of this, but I rather doubt General Motors would even care if someone were to make up a bunch of those T-Shirts and sold them. After all, what better advertisement could they possibly get than a bunch of people walking around wearing a T-Shirt that says they love their GM vehicle?
If you started printing t-shirts saying "I own a GM vehicle and I love it" and distributing them, you can be certain that you would receive a letter from GM. Again, this is more due to the way trademark law works than the fact that GM actually would have an objection to the free advertising.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”