the future of phpbb3.0

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
king577

the future of phpbb3.0

Post by king577 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:57 pm

hi,

after 3.1 will be realesed, what is the future of 3.0.X?
Sorry for the mistakes I do from time to time in English. This is not my native language. I am trying to improve my English, so please notify me about any mistakes I make. Thanks! :)

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: the future of phpbb3.0

Post by KevC » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:01 pm

It's likely to be supported and maintained for a further 9-12 months or so. Then, as with 2x > 3x, people will be encouraged to convert to the 3.1 line.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

king577

Post by king577 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:04 pm

when 3.1 will be realesed? around mars 2014?
Sorry for the mistakes I do from time to time in English. This is not my native language. I am trying to improve my English, so please notify me about any mistakes I make. Thanks! :)

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:06 pm

When it's ready. It only went alpha a few weeks ago. Then it will pass in to a beta testing phase, some Release Candidate (RC) versions and then finally gold release version.

The RC versions may be ok for live boards but until it's specifically stated, it shouldn't be used on a live board.
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

king577

Post by king577 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:08 pm

Last edited by king577 on Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:16 pm

phpBB3 came out right at the end of 2007.
Support for phpBB2 ended in January 2009.

So that 12 month time frame is likely to be similar I would think. That's loads of time for MODs to come out and for any custom coded changes to be transferred to 3.1.

At some point we have to stop supporting old versions, just like any company does. You're perfectly entitled to keep using 3.0.x. We just wouldn't be able to help you with it.
Cheap UK Hosting

ž££§ȟåñ
I've Been Banned!
Location: You Know I'm Behind You And i'll Eat You in 5 Seconds
Name: Zeeshan Ahmed

Post by ž££§ȟåñ » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:59 pm

Well then im just waiting for it

and i hope it will be more awesome

than people thought it will be :)

king577

Post by king577 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:18 am

king577 wrote:hi,

after 3.1 will be realesed, what is the future of 3.0.X?
Any update about it?

noth

Post by noth » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:06 am

KevC has already stated
KevC wrote:It's likely to be supported and maintained for a further 9-12 months or so. Then, as with 2x > 3x, people will be encouraged to convert to the 3.1 line.
what he said there IS the situation ;)

zlisiecki

Post by zlisiecki » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:07 am

Hi, after the decision to limit software modification from mods to ext-s the further support and possibly the further developement of 3.0 line could appear to be quite importand in my opinion. With Ascareaeus (3.1 line) a phpbb team resigned from a lot of community software. It may appear that only a few of it will be ported to 3.1 line and 3.0 will still be in use for a long time. It may even happen that 3.1 will die out if the majority of old phpbb users rejects it. A good example is mChat. Using my phorum without a chat feature means a huge step backwords far bigger than the 3.0 -> 3.1 gain. As I know mChat author is not intended to port his software to extension philosophy. At least two other mods, which I use are in the similar situation.

Another possibility is that users will keep two 3.1 versions: the one fully supported with updates applied succesively on it and the second one with wild patches done to the first one and offered to the end users. Many people just need software adjustments which exccede far from what is allowed with 3.1 extensions. What will they do ? It's not wise from phpbb team to disregard such needs.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:59 am

Those kind of concerns were voiced when 2.x ended but once the 'coding community' got to grips with it, 3.0x had just as many MODs. It always takes time for these things to get going when a new platform comes out but we have to move on, as does every other forum software. The long overlap in support means you don't have to update immediately if that route does not support your particular community. I think as certain key extensions come out then you'll get waves of boards converting. I have a 3.0 board with the ad manager MOD on. I cannot update that until it's made in to an extension (and I'm sure others are in the same situation) so as soon as it is, I'll update it but I'm in no hurry to do anything about it and if it never gets made then it can stay on 3.0x anyway.
Cheap UK Hosting

zlisiecki

Post by zlisiecki » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:21 am

Hi KevC, I understand you. Yet the 2.0 -> 3.0 was never limiting software possibilities as 3.1 does. I switched without any concerns. On the other hand the 3.1 extension philosophy is prohibiting some modifications and porting will be extremally hard or will be never done. If somebody one day offers me mChat functionality for 3.1 may by I'll change my mind, but until then 3.1 is a step backword for me.

Kevin, you know the intrinsics quite well. What is your estimation for mChat 3.1 port. Is it ever possible ? If you say yes, may by I'll put this work on my own. :)

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:29 am

zlisiecki wrote:Kevin, you know the intrinsics quite well. What is your estimation for mChat 3.1 port. Is it ever possible ? If you say yes, may by I'll put this work on my own
I have no idea. I'm not a coder.

There's already a chat extension in progress according to this topic
viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2271676
Cheap UK Hosting

omniError

Post by omniError » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:25 pm

BTW if there are any missing "hooks" now called events that anybody needs to get an extension working, please post about it as events can still be added to the code (I have done a couple so far which should be in the next point release). The goal is that we should be able to modify as much behavior as possible without needing to change the core files, which is a superior coding technique once it's working smoothly for everyone.

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:25 am

KevC wrote:
zlisiecki wrote:Kevin, you know the intrinsics quite well. What is your estimation for mChat 3.1 port. Is it ever possible ? If you say yes, may by I'll put this work on my own
There's already a chat extension in progress according to this topic
viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2271676
Except that Shout Box is marked Abandoned now. :?

I don't know how mChat works, but it seems like a basic chat system really only needs a few things:
  • A place in the template to put it (probably in the phpBB Header?).
  • Access to user names (and maybe permissions and avatars), which can probably be done without any hooks.
  • A table to store the chats (probably with fields like UserID, Timestamp, and Text).
So unless I'm missing something, I would think that would be very easy to do using extensions.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”