Rapid phpBB Development - Oh the Joy!

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Rapid phpBB Development - Oh the Joy!

Post by Highway of Life » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:21 am

5.5 years ago, I filed a series of bugs.

Those have just now been fixed! The speed at which development progresses is amazing (I'm obviously being sarcastic).

In all honesty, great! They are fixed... but... almost 6 years later?!? Most projects have moved on so far far along by now. What has happened to phpBB? I left the project years ago because it was progressing slower than molasses traveling uphill on a cold day.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Re: Rapid phpBB Development - Oh the Joy!

Post by tbackoff » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:30 pm

To be fair, I think part of the reason was the change in Development. phpBB 3.1 was never supposed to be based on symfony (that was scheduled for phpBB 4). If you take a look at the tracker and github, there is lots of activity trying to get phpBB 3.1 out the door. You'll notice we are at Alpha 3 of this release.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:50 pm

Highway of Life wrote:5.5 years ago, I filed a series of bugs.

Those have just now been fixed! The speed at which development progresses is amazing (I'm obviously being sarcastic).

In all honesty, great! They are fixed... but... almost 6 years later?!?
Were they critical faults with phpBB? I had filed some reports 5 or so years ago, and I don't think they have all been acted upon either, though some of them have been.
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:57 pm

The other night I got Emails from two of my bug-reports that had been on the books for years.

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:36 pm

Ditto and mine was a "will not fix"
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:38 pm

One of mine said "duplicate", and the other said it is fixed in 3.1

master412160
Name: Max Pen

Post by master412160 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:44 am

I guess nobody can comment on a time frame for the release of phpbb 3.1? This year?

Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Post by Danielx64 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:03 am

master412160 wrote:I guess nobody can comment on a time frame for the release of phpbb 3.1? This year?
It will be out when it ready. Same answer as always.
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

mals69

Post by mals69 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:36 pm

phpBB2 did the job ! Users post messages - end off. Whats with all these new releases - phpBB4 in the pipeline ? Only just finished getting my phpBB2 site how I wanted it and support was dropped. Can see my phpBB3 site going the same way.

Keep It Simple Stupid !

Just keep improving 3 or is the base code not up to scratch to start with ?

With lot of us running multi-page sites that we are growing it is more than annoying to have to
keep coming back to the forum part and update to a completely different version. (especially if it is heavily customized)

Appreciate all the developers time, but do they ever think they are risking alienating their customers by
giving them more work to do when the present version is more than doing the job ?
Alienate enough customers - will there be a point to carrying on with the phpBB project ?

Boardtalk.net
Name: Colette

Post by Boardtalk.net » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:01 am

@mals69
I understand your position but by not bringing phpbb forward with the times the project will certainly fadeaway. If everything on the internet was kept simple we'd all still be on dial up - I really did love that dial up sound ;)

Highway of Life
Former Team Member

Post by Highway of Life » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:09 am

Dog Cow wrote:Were they critical faults with phpBB? I had filed some reports 5 or so years ago, and I don't think they have all been acted upon either, though some of them have been.
Critical or non-critical issue isn’t really what I’m getting at. The point is it’s been more than 6 years since a major release when we had all these big plans for 3.2, 3.4 and even phpBB4. That’s all been scaled back now to finally now releasing 3.1. Something in the leadership is broken to have gone so long to do so little. phpBB is falling off the map... what can be done to bring it back up?
Danielx64 wrote:
master412160 wrote:I guess nobody can comment on a time frame for the release of phpbb 3.1? This year?
It will be out when it ready. Same answer as always.
I remember that mantra, it was a theme with the teams ever since before I joined phpBB and I see it perpetuates. It’s going to be the death of phpBB (or is it already too late for that?) to maintain that philosophy! I myself told many community users the same thing “It will be ready when it’s ready” ... because it’s volunteer work. As an OSS Developer on phpBB, you’re working on the project in your free time. But... the same problem should be affecting all other OSS projects, however it’s not. Most projects have progressed with multiple releases a year. How do they do it?

I am happy to see that development is actually now progressing on phpBB 3.1, it’s just that it’s 5 years late, and 5 years out of date. Where is the forward thinking, and is that even possible with phpBB anymore to lead the market? The project is barely dragging along at the bottom of the barrel.

Sound like a downer? Yes, a little... but hopefully it will cause someone to realize something needs to change and improve if phpBB wants to make a good future for itself, what do you think?

Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Post by Danielx64 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:51 am

One thing that I should point out is that other projects (like WordPress for example) have many more people working on patches and so forth.
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

Highway of Life
Former Team Member

Post by Highway of Life » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:51 am

Danielx64 wrote:One thing that I should point out is that other projects (like WordPress for example) have many more people working on patches and so forth.
That didn't just happen by magic though, it was promoted by the leadership. phpBB ended up slowly moving in that direction while I was on the team. Up until that point, all development was very secret, it was not community driven. And even when I left, it was largely not community driven.

Projects like Drupal and Wordpress are community driven, community developed, with the development team responsible for merges and validating the code. But that should be possible with phpBB now. If so, why are the contributions so slow?

Meis2M
Translator
Name: میثم نوبری

Post by Meis2M » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:55 pm

I'm worried about phpbbb future too. I think many people must work on phpbb as development. It just only 7 now. Phpbb project moving very slow. The website of phpbb is old and some place on it is so old like KB. The phpbb default style is not update and old we are in 2014. I see many forums created by other board bulletin today and many forums converted to other board bulletin. In the end phpbb is going to dead and I'm sorry for that.
phpBB persian international support
Ultimate SEO Friendly URL - Extension
Follow us in Instagram
Free upgrade and install extensions on your forum - drop me PM

A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:23 pm

Highway of Life wrote: Projects like Drupal and Wordpress are community driven, community developed, with the development team responsible for merges and validating the code. But that should be possible with phpBB now. If so, why are the contributions so slow?
  1. Limited number of contributors. 31 contributors in the last 30 days.
  2. The developer team is largely still writing the code, making contributions often take a while to be accepted/rejected/reviewed (I haven't been paying attention to phpBB's github lately, this may have been addressed)
  3. There's no obvious system for how a feature gets included. I post an RFC to Area51, then get feedback. Then ???. But there's no BDFL who has the final say, or a threshold for how much support is necessary/sufficient. I would be unlikely to develop a feature without believing it has a good chance to be included in the product.
Worth noting that my thoughts have relatively little value; I'm fairly unlikely to contribute in the short term due to other commitments.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish

Return to “phpBB Discussion”