Discuss: phpBB 3.1.0 Beta2 released

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Big Mac
Name: David Shepheard

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.1.0 Beta2 released

Post by Big Mac » Sun May 04, 2014 6:01 pm

Jackanape wrote:
Jessica wrote:About time 3.1.x reaches beta.....although I've already decided I will never update my main board. I have too many mods.
Sigh. I feel your pain, Jessica. I know you and I share some similar mods, and on my end, I've integrated them even tighter...almost to the point that I don't know every little thing that I did.
The 2.0 support ended at some point. I'm guessing that phpBB will only be able to do parallel support for 3.0 and 3.1 for a certain amount of time. I don't know how long legacy support for 2.0 carried on for, but when 3.0 stops being supported, the only way to deal with serious problems will be to move forward to 3.1.

I'm guessing that the early 3.1 adopters will help with the creation of new versions of old mods. Perhaps people who are too dependent on 3.0 mods can set up test forums with the stable version of 3.1.0 and add on test versions of one or more of the mods they love the most.

The boss of the forum I work on decided a few years back to avoid mods, as much as possible, to try to avoid this very sort of issue. So, I'm looking forward to 3.1 being finished, so that forum mods seem like a solution (rather than an upgrade problem).

One thing I'm curious about, is what level of legacy support phpBB will provide for people tied into 3.0 mods and how the 3.0 shutdown will be decided. If mod developers officially discontinue their own 3.0 support and move to pure 3.1 support will the number of mod developers doing that trigger a end to phpBB supporting 3.0 upgrades? Will the number of 3.1 downloads or the number of 3.1 support tickets vs 3.0 downloads and tickets trigger the end of 3.0 support? Or would something else be the cause of everyone being expected to migrate to 3.1?

The reason I ask is that I'm keen to see 3.1 arrive, but would like to know there will be a fairly large window to investigate it before it becomes mandatory.

I know that 3.1 will be different from 3.0, but out of interest, how long was the 3.0/2.0 overlap after 3.0.1 went live?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul » Sun May 04, 2014 6:17 pm

First of all,t here has been no timeframe decided for how long phpBB 3.0 will be supported. It will be announced here at phpBB.com in time when support will be discontinued.
phpBB 3 was released in december 2007, support for phpBB2 ended at 1 Januari 2009, so around a year after the release, but was announced in april 2008: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=900655 I assume there will be a same timeframe for when phpBB3 will be EOL.
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

eeji
Jr. Style Validator

Post by eeji » Sun May 04, 2014 8:28 pm

Firstly, many apologies for this question as I feel I will be shot down in a glorious ball of fire for it, but here goes anyway (on the off chance ;) )........

My site is due for a major overhaul but I'm a bit reluctant just in case 3.1.0 gets released while I'm half way through adapting all my custom pages to 3.0.x

This has come about mainly because of the relatively short release times of the beta packages, BUT is there any signs of 3.1.0 being released in the next 12 months? I'm not looking at anything remotely like an exact release date, just something to within the closest year.
My phpBB styles: phpbbstyles.oo.gd
My board: iansvivarium.com

PayBas
Former Team Member

Post by PayBas » Sun May 04, 2014 8:34 pm

eeji wrote:is there any signs of 3.1.0 being released in the next 12 months?
At the pace things are moving now, I'd say definitely yes (beta 3 will be released tonight). I would personally be surprised if it takes more than 3 months. But maybe I'm just optimistic :D.

eeji
Jr. Style Validator

Post by eeji » Sun May 04, 2014 8:54 pm

in that case, I may hold on for my update. These beta's are coming thick and fast! :)
My phpBB styles: phpbbstyles.oo.gd
My board: iansvivarium.com

antonjw2

Post by antonjw2 » Sun May 04, 2014 10:49 pm

As regards v3.0 mods, would it be worth:

- Asking all existing mod writers to ensure their code is on GitHub
- Adding a GitHub link to the contrib page
- Updating all existing contribs with requisite GitHub URLs

Thus allowing anyone who uses a mod who has a bit of web development skill to easily contribute to the upgrading of these mods; it may be that existing authors can simply pull-request updates in to bring them up to 3.1 spec?

In addition, possibly create a 3.0 to 3.1 Mod-Updaters Forum, where people can just jump in as required and discuss, and notify others of any contributions?

I would imagine the community could crack this long before the 3.1 release?

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Mon May 05, 2014 1:47 am

We will not require MOD or Extension writers to have their code in github or any other source control. They are free to handle their own code how they wish be it github, Googlecode, Visual Studio Online, Assembla, Dropbox, local SVN, etc. That will remain their choice and they can dictate how they want collaborators to work with them or if they want them at all.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

antonjw2

Post by antonjw2 » Mon May 05, 2014 9:13 am

Hi David,

I didn't suggest that you demand or dictate it. I asked whether it would be worth asking them?

Of course if a decent number were to respond to it, then there is more collaboration possible with them to get mods updated in good time for the 3.1 release. My perspective was only to try to increase the chances of take-up for 3.1, and not leave forum admins unable to upgrade.

You could change the idea to an 'Online Source' link rather than specifically a GitHub one, and ask the mod writers to provide it if they use one?

DavidIQ
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Mon May 05, 2014 10:33 am

You could present the suggestion in MOD Writers Discussion or Extension Writers Discussion.

Personally I wouldn't do it for my MODs but what I have isn't as big as something like KISS portal, Karma, phpBBGallery, or some others. Some other authors might welcome the suggestion for their particular projects.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:12 am

Beta 4 released.
Announcement: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2245166
Discussion topic: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2245176

I'm going to lock this topic to prevent duplication of discussions.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

Return to “phpBB Discussion”