vBulletin 5 Connect and phpbb? Custom Mobile app for forum

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
kahosts

vBulletin 5 Connect and phpbb? Custom Mobile app for forum

Post by kahosts »

Hi,
I am confused between vBulletin 5 Connect and phpbb selection considering that I want to have custom mobile apps (iOS and Android ) for my new forum. PhpBB really inspire me but I wonder if there is possibility to have custom mobile app for your forum visitors at a reasonable price, whereas updating forum doesn't require frequent apps update?

Any help on this please?

Regards.
Aly.
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Re: vBulletin 5 Connect and phpbb? Custom Mobile app for for

Post by tbackoff »

phpBB 3.1 will include a responsive layout. No need for an app.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.
kahosts

Post by kahosts »

Thank you for your reply. But don't you think visitors will find it easy to click an icon instead of opening site in a browser?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Tapatalk has a custom app creation system.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

kahosts wrote:Thank you for your reply. But don't you think visitors will find it easy to click an icon instead of opening site in a browser?
Not if they make it a favorite and can access your site in 2-3 taps (launch browser, go to favorites, go to site).

With an app, they only have to tap once, but they have to tap much more than that to actually install your app. If all your app does is provide a shortcut to your board, it's hardly worth installing.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
Ger
Recognised Extension Developer

Post by Ger »

kahosts wrote:Thank you for your reply. But don't you think visitors will find it easy to click an icon instead of opening site in a browser?
People can easily create a favorite shortcut on the home screen of their phone/tablet.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
kahosts

Post by kahosts »

But functions like push notifications won't be available I guess? Also layout, fonts,?
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

We have no plans to create a phpBB "app" for phones to access a phpBB forum. As mentioned earlier, 3.1 includes a responsive style and works quite nicely on phones. 3.1 also includes a new notification system and it would not be too hard to set it up to support sending notifications via sms, a possible alternative to push notifications.
Prosk8er
Name: Tyler

Post by Prosk8er »

kahosts wrote:But functions like push notifications won't be available I guess? Also layout, fonts,?
with tapatalk you'll have push notifications and I believe you can change the layout and font
mals69

Post by mals69 »

EXreaction wrote:We have no plans to create a phpBB "app" for phones to access a phpBB forum. As mentioned earlier, 3.1 includes a responsive style and works quite nicely on phones. 3.1 also includes a new notification system and it would not be too hard to set it up to support sending notifications via sms, a possible alternative to push notifications.
May I ask the reason for not building an app ? An app to open the forum in your browser even, does
not seem pointless to me. "Forum link can be added to your home screen" - not every average joe knows
how to do that, try asking the average over 50 to do so.
Suspect when you are at developer level to comprehend such people exist is probably a non event.

An app that opens up the forum in a browser would suffice, an app where we can upload our company logo
widget would be excellent. With the brain power round here how long would it take to come up with ? A day ? (To make many happy)

"When you end up driving a VW as your company vehicle and your competition has the latest Porsche it is
more than a worry, alarm bells start to ring that its time to join the Porsche brigade"

Who wants to inflict unnecessary hassle to your users if you care about them ?

With it being counterproductive in business to ignore demand why would you do so ?
mals69

Post by mals69 »

Yeah use tapatalk and by way of association be chucked in the same basket as prostitute services etc - no thanks !
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

Well for starters we would have to find Android and iOS developers to work for our project. We already have a hard enough time finding volunteer PHP developers, which is what we need to concentrate on really because if the underlying code is not stable then an application sitting on top of something like that is going to be very buggy.

As has been already mentioned however you can either create a shortcut on your home screen to the site or, if you really want push notifications, Tapatalk works perfectly fine and integrates nicely to any forum that installs it. They also offer application branding at a cost.

There's really no reason to reinvent the wheel if an app already exists, has a healthy ecosystem, active development, and has a group of developers that already work on their individual platform apps.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

mals69 wrote:
EXreaction wrote:We have no plans to create a phpBB "app" for phones to access a phpBB forum. As mentioned earlier, 3.1 includes a responsive style and works quite nicely on phones. 3.1 also includes a new notification system and it would not be too hard to set it up to support sending notifications via sms, a possible alternative to push notifications.
May I ask the reason for not building an app ? An app to open the forum in your browser even, does
not seem pointless to me.
No, but remember that phpBB would not just have to create an app -- they'd have to create an app generator that take your URL and logo and then create an app for you.

Plus, if it's a true app, you would still have to submit it to Google and/or Apple for inclusion in their app stores. You certainly couldn't expect phpBB to do that for you, right?
mals69 wrote:Yeah use tapatalk and by way of association be chucked in the same basket as prostitute services etc - no thanks !
What? I don't know much about Tapatalk other than what I've read on this board, but I certainly don't associate it with prostitutes. Where does that even come from?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
antonjw2

Post by antonjw2 »

DavidIQ wrote:Well for starters we would have to find Android and iOS developers to work for our project. We already have a hard enough time finding volunteer PHP developers, which is what we need to concentrate on really because if the underlying code is not stable then an application sitting on top of something like that is going to be very buggy.
There are stacks and stacks of Android and iOS developers out there. And plenty of people who are learning it too who would be happy to work under a few experienced developers. The resource pool must be huge.

As long as there is a stable API then what does the rest (ho ho) really matter? APIs hide implementation details, right?
antonjw2

Post by antonjw2 »

Pony99CA wrote:No, but remember that phpBB would not just have to create an app -- they'd have to create an app generator that take your URL and logo and then create an app for you.
When you install phpBB, you have to configure some settings. It would be expected than an 'app' would have to be set up to point to your forum.

But such an app generator, behind the right API, would need what, 2 settings? (API Endpoint of your forum + API key).

Maybe more but I could see that said 'App Generator', if slick, could just pull everything in... forum name, re-sized logo and all. Perhaps it would then use the Responsive theme simply as the app's skin.
Pony99CA wrote:Plus, if it's a true app, you would still have to submit it to Google and/or Apple for inclusion in their app stores. You certainly couldn't expect phpBB to do that for you, right?
In the same way that it is made clear that phpBB do not install forums for people, the same would hold true here? Many people would know this, for the rest, it's a case of being provided instructions.

I don't think it's rocket science for phpBB to create apps. As long as the API is there (I believe there is one, not sure how maintained it is?), then you could have requisite teams developing those apps.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”