Sites to find pphbb experts

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
HardcoreGR

Sites to find pphbb experts

Post by HardcoreGR » Thu May 15, 2014 9:21 pm

I was looking for Phpbb experts at sites like Odesk, PeoplePerHour and Elance.

I can't find any. Most of those that responded didn't reply back after they saw my requests.

Any other sites with Job openings which have mostly phpbb experts?

Thank you.

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Re: Sites to find pphbb experts

Post by Marshalrusty » Thu May 15, 2014 9:43 pm

There's a giant banner in the footer here for njobs. I've heard from some former clients that they've successfully utilized services from people there before. I've heard the same about oDesk.

If your task is phpBB-centric, then your best bet is to look at the signatures of the people replying to topics in the support forum. Many team members and active community members offer services and advertise them in their signatures.

We don't currently allow posting jobs directly on this site due to it likely turning in a spam/scam-fest. On the other hand, if someone had a good solution for implementing something like that, I'd be happy to listen.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

HardcoreGR

Post by HardcoreGR » Fri May 16, 2014 8:28 am

Sorry to say this but I posted a job and noone appeared after 24 hours!

Kamahl19
Name: Martin

Post by Kamahl19 » Fri May 16, 2014 8:46 am

This is exactly what phpbb is missing. So many clients write me that they are not satisfied with their previous "phpbb expert". That they paid for not working mod, mod with bad performance, style which is missing half of phpbb basic features or they paid half of money and expert never replied back.

If somebody wants really good website and he means it seriously, he have to hire someone. We all know how "I did it myself" websites looks and works. phpBB does not offer this, even when it is so simple to implement it. Simply, all people advertising their services would be approved manually, so no spam and no noobs.

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Marshalrusty » Fri May 16, 2014 9:54 am

Kamahl19 wrote:Simply, all people advertising their services would be approved manually, so no spam and no noobs.
Who would do this and based upon what principle?

Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 » Fri May 16, 2014 11:20 am

For example based on activity on this forum, developed mods/styles, contribution to development..

Or, there could be comment system so that clients can warn other users or let them know, that this developer is really good.

Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Post by Danielx64 » Sat May 17, 2014 12:44 am

Marshalrusty wrote:
Kamahl19 wrote:Simply, all people advertising their services would be approved manually, so no spam and no noobs.
Who would do this and based upon what principle?
Well I suppose management would approve the job listings and maybe have some sort of ecrow system (I think I spelt that right) where the person only gets the money when the work is completed.
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Sat May 17, 2014 2:04 am

Before going too far afield, if you're interested in recruiting and advertising services on phpBB.com, you should read the Why Is Recruiting Against the Rules? topic that I started back in 2010.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

antonjw2

Post by antonjw2 » Sat May 17, 2014 9:38 am

This does seem like the natural place to come to get help, even beyond support. Appreciate phpBB tying its reputation somewhat to those who offer their services, though, but it could be made abundantly clear that phpBB is only helping admins to connect with suppliers, and does not manage or guarantee the process.

phpBB would have to reserve the right to cancel someone's access to the appropriate forums in case of continued negative feedback, i'd imagine.

It might also help increase engagement on these forums, which feel a little too support-driven - though it is great to be able to come here and get expert support, the significant focus on that does seem to leave the place a little empty of users helping each other with more general questions and concerns.

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Marshalrusty » Sat May 17, 2014 5:34 pm

Danielx64 wrote:Well I suppose management would approve the job listings and maybe have some sort of ecrow system (I think I spelt that right) where the person only gets the money when the work is completed.
I think you've sort of nailed precisely what we wouldn't want to do. Not only would this make us potentially liable for damages claimed by either side, but the very setup of the system would involve lawyers, banks, etc. and take up considerable resources.

I share the desire to provide the community with a place they could go to in order to find reputable service providers. I've thought about "simple" ways to do this for many years, and even discussed setting up a partnership with an existing jobs site.

Setting up a proper system here would involve a ton of work. We would need some kind of "open" reputation system. People would begin to game the reputation system from the first day, which would require us to battle that. If we endorse people officially (by verifying them manually, as you suggested), then that opens up liabilities. To avoid that, we would need contracts and disclaimers. If we act as the middle man (escrow, as you mentioned) for money, then we have to follow European money laundering laws, and verify each developer. And so on...

Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Post by Danielx64 » Sun May 18, 2014 12:59 am

Good points, have anyone looked at WP jobs and see how they are doing it? What issues could one face if we went down the WP jobs way?
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

HardcoreGR

Post by HardcoreGR » Sun May 18, 2014 2:13 am

The only solution is making a banner similar to Web Hosting:
"Looking for a web developer ? Check out our suggestions."

Unless phpbb.com wants to develop stuff for companies, which I doubt they have time (I have contacted this site's admins individually).

I know that Web developers would even pay a fee to include themselves in such lists. There are thousands of people that want to fix their forum and improve their appearance and they don't know a way. And basically that is the main reason why we need to find web developers somehow.

tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff » Sun May 18, 2014 2:45 am

HardcoreGR wrote:"Looking for a web developer ? Check out our suggestions."
I think Marshalrusty explained why we don't want to do this. I'll quote for reference:
Marshalrusty wrote:Not only would this make us potentially liable for damages claimed by either side, but the very setup of the system would involve lawyers, banks, etc.
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.

antonjw2

Post by antonjw2 » Sun May 18, 2014 3:36 am

i think a forum for such requests and connections - with a clear disclaimer that it only exists as a means for making those connections - should be workable.

remove developers' access if they get continued negative feedback. everyone is in, but 3 strikes and you're out. no reputation system particularly needed for that simplified model.

either that or direct people to a partner forum where phpBB can simply act as a signpost and be 100% hands off from the implementation.

Kamahl19

Post by Kamahl19 » Sun May 18, 2014 12:24 pm

Marshalrusty, why are you complicating it so much? You said you have been thinking about it for years. How is it possible then, that for example WP and IPB offer this system: http://jobs.wordpress.net/ , http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/developers , http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/projects

Return to “phpBB Discussion”